Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why do I continue to pay Sky £43.50 per month?

BDLBDL
edited August 2007 in Not Sports Related
Why do I spend this amount, when I never watch the Movie Channels, there's never really anything on I want to watch and I've got Sky Plus.

I love Sky One for Battlestar Galactica and Lost, but is it worth paying over £500 per year for a load of TV that I won't watch?

Comments

• Simple - No

I do the same over here with our satellite provider so I should really sort that out as well.
  • ive got sky+ and tbh i really dont watch any channels other than the sports and discovery.. not worth the 40 odd quid i pay a month.. virgin get free stanta sports now.. i wasn happy with that either..
  • Got rid of it only have the basics now watch 2 film in 7 months did not see the point of it anymore
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Why do I spend this amount, when I never watch the Movie Channels, there's never really anything on I want to watch and I've got Sky Plus.

I love Sky One for Battlestar Galactica and Lost, but is it worth paying over £500 per year for a load of TV that I won't watch?
    Save your money, download the torrents - ok, so it may be a day later than it's broadcast on Sky, but does that really matter? In fact, in most cases, you can get the torrent BEFORE it's broadcast in the UK.
  • i asked virgin media how much would it be for just sky sports 1,2,3 and they said £46 per month cos sky charge them so much (i was paying £55 per month for everything) , i then said well don't worry about sky sports i'll have the rest for £9 , they weren't amused
  • well i think Sky+ is absolutely brilliant.
  • edited August 2007
    but if you are not worried about the channels then get one these - these do the same thing and they are also brilliant!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-PVR9200T-Set-Top-Box/dp/B000BO2F6M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-8962095-2318821?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187641908&sr=8-1
  • I agree with AFKA ( yet again) Sky plus is amazing.

But- I also won't pay the 43.50.

Think Salad's linky could be the source of a little treat. :-)

Thanks!
  • sky plus is now free I believe regardless of package so you could get it for much less now I believe.
  • Where I lodge she pays the Full £53.50 a month for Multi room with SKY+ as she says she would have Sky if I wasn't there she only makes me pay the £10 difference a month for everything. I think the Movies are a waste of time I think I watched my first film for three months on it last night, if you can get a package that has Sky Sports & say SKY One that is all you would need for decent tv. SKY+ is the nuts BTW
  • Sponsored links:

• non-Sky+ PVRs are for freeview only, so no monthly outgoings but you won't get Sky 1 or Sky Sports, if that suits you then the Humax twin-tuner is great:

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/pvr-9200t.asp

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews95677.html
  • you do get skysports news though I think.
  • I GOT SKY + and multiroom and it is worth every bleeding penny,.
  • Don't pay £43.50 per month and don't get an alternative to X-Strictly-Big-Britain's Next (Got No) (Talent) (Model) Airport Teenage Mum On Ice.
  • The Mrs loves it... Next top model and such nonsence! Sky plus is great as is Sky Box office

I watch the sport channels and the main 'terretrial channels'. Ridicuosly i don't get SSN as part of my sky package and am not willing to pay another £8 a month to get it when it's on freeview.

And i'm also with F Blocker for Torrents saw the whole of Heroes series before the BBC began showing it... great for when you go on holiday and can take the episodes you're going to miss on the PSP to watch so you're uptodate when you get home!
  • I don't understand about torrents!
  • Before you sack them, tell them a story about losing your job, or now being long term sick, and how you really don't want to give up sky, but you cannot afford it anymore. A couple of seperate customers in the bar have told me how sky came back with a cheaper offer to keep them on board when they were going to drop them. They seem to take an unusually pragmatic view that £10 a month is better than nothing when the whole system is already in place and it does not cost them any more to carry on sending you the broadcasts.

Worth a try.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I don't understand about torrents!
    VERY Basically, someone records the program onto their PC and then you can download it from them. It splits the file up into thousands of little chunks and different people get different chunks. They then share the chunks they've got whilst getting all the bits they're missing. So lots of people end-up sharing more and more of the file as time moves on. At the end, you have a complete file you can watch on your PC, DVD player (if you can play Divx) PSP etc etc.
  • Once your 12 month contract is up with Sky, Orange, BT, Vodaphone etc... ask to be put through to disconnections, these guys will bend over a barrel to keep you on their books and be able to offer much better deals than any of the call centre monkeys.

With Sky mention that you're thinking of moving to Virgin as they are cheaper, you can guarantee they'll offer you a much better deal to sign up for a further 12 months. All these companies are desperate for your money and will offer discounts to sign you up.

I got a great deal out of Orange doing the same thing while BT are offering me a £3 a month discount if i sign up for another 12 months... i'm sure they can go lower than that!
  • [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]Once your 12 month contract is up with Sky, Orange, BT, Vodaphone etc... ask to be put through to disconnections, these guys will bend over a barrel to keep you on their books and be able to offer much better deals than any of the call centre monkeys.

With Sky mention that you're thinking of moving to Virgin as they are cheaper, you can guarantee they'll offer you a much better deal to sign up for a further 12 months. All these companies are desperate for your money and will offer discounts to sign you up.

I got a great deal out of Orange doing the same thing while BT are offering me a £3 a month discount if i sign up for another 12 months... i'm sure they can go lower than that!

Whilst I would agree with this on all Mobile Phone companies SKY do not give a toss & will happily either just recommend a smaller package that is cheaper or just disconnect you. They will not give you more for less.
  • Sponsored links:

• TT
    edited August 2007
    Really, I was under the impression they did a 1/2 price deal for a couple of months to keep you.

I've been told not to bother getting a warrenty on my sky+ box as they'll come out and repair it for free if i suggest i'm willing to cancel rather than pay the call out fee... Is this just pub talk aswell?

Edit - Just found this link, might be of interest http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/1133805689,83738
  • I've been told not to bother getting a warrenty on my sky+ box as they'll come out and repair it for free if i suggest i'm willing to cancel rather than pay the call out fee... Is this just pub talk aswell?

For my crimes i used to work for Sky a couple of years back and yes, this is true. They charge £65 for the call out but if you refuse and threaten to cancel they offer you a free callout.(that includes an a-grade box replacement, but bung the installer £20 and he will be only to happy to slip in a brand new box)
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I don't understand about torrents!

Torrenting is by far the best way to download anything, extremely fast and you can find pretty much anything you want, really easy to set up. Bit of googling will explain it all.

If you download anything bittorrent is the way forward.
  • download azureus http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
    then goto http://www.torrentspy.com

put something into the search and your laughing..
  • edited August 2007
    Yeps. When you're searching, try:

RIAA or MPAA

:o)

Seriously - just remember that downloading something from a torrent site is just as unsafe as downloading it from a peer to peer network like Gnutella - what you're doing is illegal and, if either of the above bunch of arsholios decide to subpoena ISPs to provide IP addresses of people who have been torrenting, you could, theoretically at least, face a hefty fine in the future. Not saying it WILL happen - just that there is a CHANCE of it happening, and people need to be made aware of this before plunging headlong into downloading copyrighted content illegally :o)
  • last night I used a splitter to let my prospective in laws get sky plus without having to install a new dish attachment and additional cabling, pucker! (you need two feeds for sky+)
  • edited August 2007
    "last night I used a splitter to let my prospective in laws get sky plus without having to install a new dish attachment and additional cabling, pucker! (you need two feeds for sky+)"

Was he from the Judean People's Front?
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]last night I used a splitter to let my prospective in laws get sky plus without having to install a new dish attachment and additional cabling, pucker! (you need two feeds for sky+)

Did it work Razil ? i thought you needed to attach at both ends ?
  • edited August 2007
    not a good sign...you want to marry into a family that aren't cheapskates...
  • na just don't want to pay sky or anyone else to fleece them. Seems to have worked so far, bought an appropriate splitter at maplins, and two cables.