Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crawley Town

Been a couple of times in recent weeks when Charlton were playing away, as it's only ten miles from where we live.

Good atmosphere,  nice people, decent enough football ( I'm not claiming it's great, but it's as good as much of what we saw at the Valley over the last couple of seasons). Two decent strikers in Barnett and Tubbs and they trounced Parky's lot when they came to the Broadfield last month. Proper old-fashioned terracing on three sides and a capacity of 5,000.

Amazing to  see them flying high and remember that little more than 18 months ago, the club was in the high court facing a winding-up order.

Have any other Kent/Sussex border Charlton fans been there this season ? (Nadou, perhaps???)

It would be nice to find a coterie of Charlton fans from the vicinity who could meet up on match days at CT when CAFC are playing away in the abominable north or similarly uncilivilised parts (like Stevenage!). Was planning to go to this Sat's top-of-the-table clash v Shrewsbury. Anyone else interested?

Comments

• not keen on them want them to go back to non league
  • want them to go back to non league
    Any particular reason for your dislike?
  • manager is a dick and there fans remind me of clearsil and palace
  • manager is a dick and there fans remind me of clearsil and palace
    Agreed re the Jocky Wlison manager. Should have banned from football after his Boston United escapade.
  • If you can't get in the clique, what chance of joining the coterie ?
  • Went to Crawley to see welling a few years ago .... horrible
  • I go quite a lot and agree, especially last season the football was excellent. Been three times this year and they destroyed Southend a few weeks ago.
    As for Evans, he is a bit of a knob, but he is quite a good laugh too.
    I'll be there Saturday Vs Shrewsbury (2nd v 4th) which should be quite good.
    As for the fans, a lot of whom are old Chelsea fans and are fed up with the russian revolution and nearly every game I go to I bump into old friends and work colleagues which usually ends up in the bar afterwards
  • Always associated Crawley Town with Palace - I think they used to be many Nigel's second team....maybe less so now they are a league club.  Not surprised to hear there are a lot of Chelsea, either.

It's bandit country, I tell thee.....
  • They are not a Kent team: I'm out.
  • I've been to a couple of their pre-season games, one with Millwall a couple seasons back but I've not been at all this season and probably won't unless we draw them in the Cup.  I know a few Premiership fans who watch Crawley on the side, about a half a dozen went up to Old Trafford last season.  One of my closest friends lives right behind the ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• I go from time to time as I am in Horsham.
    The hardcore fans are scummy but most are there for good football and they get it.
  • Went to Crawley to see welling a few years ago .... horrible
    I was with you and concur.

The manager has no business being involved in football. Should have got a life ban.

• Last season they were the Manchester City of non-league football, buying every good player from the other clubs.

That explains some of the dislike I think

• edited October 2011
    They are actually my nearest League team but can't get there 'cos of not drivin any more and there are no buses either. When the Addicks are away I sometimes watch the Welsh League game on Sky Ch. 134 (SC4) whilst following the match thread on here. The Welsh games are good old fashioned stuff with one man and his sheep on the touchline. The commentary is in Welsh as are the score updates: never new they had so many different versuions of English team names.
  • Last season they were the Manchester City of non-league football, buying every good player from the other clubs.

That explains some of the dislike I think

That's exactly what our rival Third Division clubs have been saying about Charlton this season .......!
  • Not quite in the same league as Man City but I know what you mean

They were given £4.5M, spread over 3 years, but with the cup run and all the televised games last season, they drew a profit of around £2M.
    So in theory they've still got another 4 years at £1.5M a year
    But the main benefactor died last season, so who knows what will happen in 4 years time
  • Please god you dont get your wish next season

• As for the fans, a lot of whom are old Chelsea fans and are fed up with the russian revolution and nearly every game I go to I bump into old friends and work colleagues which usually ends up in the bar afterwards
    Oh the irony. Fed up with the Russian revolution so jump on another bandwagon of a club buying their way to success. Didn't they spend more last season than every club in their league and the division above combined?

I reckon they could end up being another Gretna.
  • Crawley are to Palace as Welling are to Charlton
  • Charlton will travel to Crawley Town for a pre-season friendly on Wednesday, August 1st.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2787278,00.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Great a new ground for me ,would take me back to 81.
  • They'll be a good test. Expect to see Crawley spend a few quid during the close season
  • Couple of nearish (obvs depending where you are based) pre season away games to wet the appetite before the big kick off. Will almost certainly be at this and Gills.
  • I support Charlton because of my dad, but as we don't live anywhere near The Valley, I always felt a little but like I should have an interest in my local team. I justified not going to Crawley in my head, because they were so very lower league, and the crowds when I have gone (John Robbo's goalscoring debut was fun), have been a bit... well, if you know Crawley...

I'm tempted to go along to some of their bigger games next season if I get the chance though. Kinda weird to think that third tier football is so close by after all these years.
  • I saw Crawley four times last season. They are a funny side - they give it their all in an inept way. I fancy they might get tonked by many decent sides in League 1, but out-hassle the poorer sides.
  • Done it again tonight against a team from a higher division
  • I live in copthorne crawley! Fantastic win tonight for crawley town
  • they make us sound like a normal club