Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEVER take out a contract with phones 4 u!!!!

A bit long winded but I wanted the CL community to know my story so that none of you make the same mistake I have!!!

My contract was up with o2 so decided to shop around. I have always just dealt with o2 but for some reason, this time I decided to call Phones 4 u. I explained that I wanted to stay on the o2 network andThey offered me what I thought was a great deal:

300 minutes + 500 o2 to o2 minutes
unlimited texts
500 MB internet + free Wi-Fi

£27 a month!!

They assured me that I would not get this deal anywhere else (I later found out the deal was taken from the o2 website!!)

I have always had a keypad phone but the guy was being quite insistant that I should get a smart phone. After a lot of persuading he talked me into taking the Nokia Lumia 800. He told me that if I didn't get on with the phone I could return it in exchange for a different handset.

Phone arrives the following day, after 2 fdays I am struggling to get on with it & as all my family & most of my friends have Iphones, it was decided that I was better off getting an Iphone as if I had any problems, people would be able to help me through it.

Phoned back phones 4 u & was told I couldn't get an Iphone as I was not on the correct Tariff. I asked them to upgrade my tariff & they said as the phone had been put through as an UPGRADE they could not change the Tariff. I questioned why It was an upgrade as I have never had a contract with phones 4 u & they just said ' Well those are the terms you agreed to'!! CHARMING!!!!

Anyway, it turns out that as it has been put through as an upgrade. They are under no obligation to cancel the contract asa apparantly phones 4 u do not have a cooling off period (something which I think should be illegal.

Gone back & forth for a week now & they will not budge. They insist that I was told during the terms & conditions reading of the phone conversation that they did not have a cooling off period (something I am not sure about) I even asked for a copy of the conversation & was told there is a £15 admin charge (again, surely should be illegal) I even phoned O2 who were very helpful & they phoned phones 4 u on my behalf but, again, was told that they insist I was told during the conversation that there was no cooling off period or tariff upgrade option so there is nothing O2 can do. I even phoned Citizens advice & they just said I can write a letter to phones 4 u quoting the distance selling act of 2000 & stating that I do not believe a verbal agreement is a fair medium of agreement. However, I dont expect a response!!!

It is my own stupid fault for not just going through O2. NEVER GO TO PHONES 4 U. THEY WILL CON YOU INTO AN AGREEMENT.

Sorry for the long post!! I am just so angry!!

p.s. I am actually getting on ok with the phone now but the principle of the matter makes me sick!!

Comments

• Got to say i been with Phones 4 u for years and never had a problem, guess it depends on the staff at the shop.
  • I think you will find that it is a legal requirement to have a cooling off period on contracts. How long have you now been in the contract?
  • 7 days!!!! I thought so too but apparently not!
  • Have you researched this or taken their word for it? The missus is doing contract Law at the moment. Will ask her when she gets in
  • If the salesman said you could take it back if you didn't like it and they're really not offering a cooling off period then ring them up, ask to speak to someone higher up than the low-level call centre operator, then say you want it worked out or you're writing to O2, the relevant regulator and Watchdog. Causing a bit of a stir can often generate results.
  • I asked to speak to someone higher up but the woman said she was the highest person in that department. As I say I have contacted O2 & Citizens advice & they have both said that, after speaking to phones 4 u, unfortunately there is no cooling off period. I am tired of arguing with them now & am prepared to accept defeat even though I think it is outrageous that a company is allowed to do this. As o2 are still the service provider I can still deal with them if I have an issue with the network. I guess as long as I dont have any issues with the phone, I dont have to have any contact with phones 4 u now anyway as my phone insurance is with my bank. Which begs the question: What do phones 4 u actually do??? Do they just take commission on a sale??
  • If the salesman said you could take it back if you didn't like it and they're really not offering a cooling off period then ring them up, ask to speak to someone higher up than the low-level call centre operator, then say you want it worked out or you're writing to O2, the relevant regulator and Watchdog. Causing a bit of a stir can often generate results.
    I should also make it clear that they have offered to change my handset but only the 1's available on the tariff I am currently on. I cannot upgrade my phone on a higher tariff

• http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/sales/mis-selling-mobile-phone-services/

This link might help.

I also thought there was a mandatory seven day cooling off period for any sales conducting via telephone, as someone has quoted due to Distance Selling Regulations.

It might be worth sending a proper written letter to Complaints Dept, rather than phoning. Send it recorded delivery so you know exactly when it's received. Sometimes it makes them take more notice.
  • http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/sales/mis-selling-mobile-phone-services/

I also thought there was a mandatory seven day cooling off period for any sales conducting via telephone, as someone has quoted due to Distance Selling Regulations.

This is definitely the case as the transaction was over the phone.
  • http://support.phones4u.co.uk/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=10184247#e10184247

This comment from a Phones 4u customer service rep proves they allow seven days cooling off if ordered over the phone or internet
  • Sponsored links:

• Always send complaints of this nature via recorded
  • I asked to speak to someone higher up
    You should have stood on a chair
  • Very rare for any company not to have a cooling off period nowadays. Good firms want new business, and they want to keep you. No point in upsetting you in the first 14 days.
  • I've generally gave up with all of these companies now. I find the big ones are just as bad as P4U, etc. Had terrible issues with orange & o2 with contracts. If you can afford buy the phone outright as it works cheaper in the long run.

I now have a rolling monthly contract pay £10 a month for 1gb data, unlimited texts & 750mins. Have not dealt with the provider in over 2yrs.
  • Once I saw the word Nokia I knew there would be an unhappy customer involved.
  • Once I saw the word Nokia I knew there would be an unhappy customer involved.
    Didn't the title of the thread give it away then?
    :-)
  • Chrissy\\\'s Army!! you say you had a phone with 02 already right ?

you then got a new phone through phones 4U but on the same number still with 02 right ?

If so then they are right that it's an upgrade I'm afraid

Still shouldn't stop you swapping it for the iphone as far as I'm concerened but by the looks they are right that it will count as an upgrade.
  • Having has similar experiences myself and having worked (albeit briefly) in sales I have come to the conclusion that if you want something you will decide it for yourself. If a salesman has to persuade you to buy something then you probably don't need it and should just go with your instinct.
  • I still find it strange they won't change the tariff. The tariff you want to change to is a higher one, which would make them more money. It might be worth checking with them in a few weeks. I know in the past (can't remember which network though) they sometimes have problems changing tariffs more than once in a month. So you changed when you got the nokia, you can't change again within that first month. Only issue with that is that even if there is a cooling off period, you'll be outside of it by the time you can get the right tariff to get an iphone.
  • I would hazard a guess there are more complaints about mobile phones, in charges, tarriffs, and phones that are not fit for purpose than any other product. They seem to have taken over from double glazing and second hand car sales sales. The marketing of these devices seems to be about locking you into a contract, then walking away from there 'contract'. For instance most phones are for a two year period, but the phone is only guaranteed for a year. Surprise, surprise in the second year the phone starts to develop 'issues' such as the battery, or the charger. Unless you have taken out insurance, or an extended warranty people like apple just want to replace the handset and you pay a fee, last time it was £120. By the way I would not loose too many hours sleep worrying about the 'i' phone. But then I do not use the great majority of features that it has, which of course is my hard luck, and choice. Next time, I think I will just get a cheap pay as you go......
  • Sponsored links:

you then got a new phone through phones 4U but on the same number still with 02 right ?

Still shouldn't stop you swapping it for the iphone as far as I'm concerened but by the looks they are right that it will count as an upgrade.
    Unnfortunately I think you are correct & that is why I am stuck with phones 4 u for 2 years!!
  • edited May 2012
    Chrissy\\\'s Army!! you say you had a phone with 02 already right ?

Unnfortunately I think you are correct & that is why I am stuck with phones 4 u for 2 years!!
    Surely they were just an intermediary? My contract with Vodafone has been updated (with new phone) via Phones-4-U a couple of years ago but the payments were still direct to Vodafone. Last upgrade done direct with Vodafone.

If your payments are to Phones-4-U that isn't an upgrade, it's a new contract.

Surely they were just an intermediary? My contract with Vodafone has been updated (with new phone) via Phones-4-U a couple of years ago but the payments were still direct to Vodafone. Last upgrade done direct with Vodafone.

If your payments are to Phones-4-U that isn't an upgrade, it's a new contract.
    As far as I am aware my payments are still to o2 but as the handset was purchased through Phones 4 u there is nothing o2 can do. I am confused!!!
  • Ah, my phone was Vodafone branded and a freebie. Contract all with Vodafone.
  • Does anyone know what phones 4 u get out of it?? If my payments are still to o2 then what do phones 4 u get?? Is it just commission for the sale of the contract??