Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Just come out of one man two guvenors hilarious. James Corden is a comic genius. For those who have seen was there a sandwich discussion?
  • Saw Million Dollar Quartet last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Based on an actual meeting on 4th December 1956 at Sun Records with Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis, it has a small but gifted cast belting out some Rock and Roll classics.

Would probably be appreciated most by fans of a certain age who are willing to clap and sing along to some well played and sung numbers.

See my thread further up, great play, although some of the songs were chronoligically wrong for the time and not even recorded either by those present or even at the original Quartet jam session (have about 3-4 versions of it on CD & Digital)
  • caught the end of the story of musicals on bbc4 the other night, good little series that even tho i cant stand musicals its really interesting what goes on. Bloody tragic what happend to Lionel Bart the guy who wrote Oliver! put all the money he had into a new big production it flopped and got pulled ended up dying a pauper without a penny to his name, tragic.
  • I went to see the panto at greenwich last week , was excellent !! Kids loved it . Going to see Hamlet tomorrow night
  • Just come out of one man two guvenors hilarious. James Corden is a comic genius. For those who have seen was there a sandwich discussion?
    Saw it last March, yes there was an audience interaction about sandwiches.

• I went to see the panto at greenwich last week , was excellent !! Kids loved it . Going to see Hamlet tomorrow night
    Oh no you didn't
  • Went to see One Man Two Guvnors last night, yes with James Corden and all. Mixed reaction personally...a romp with loads of slapstick, a large (ish) and very hard working cast. Didn't have me weeping with laughter, but I was amused and entertained...boarderline indulgent and party piece-esque at times, but quite nice, won't say any more for the sake of those still to see it. About a 6.5 on the Sethometer.
    Gonna have to work hard to make it a transfer to America though, Jerusalem made it but I can't really see it without a lot of re-writing.
    The most interesting aspect for me was that it was a re-working of the old Italian style of 'commedia del arte', with archetypical and stock characters from the genre, albeit updated to 1963. I know very little of that style of comedy, but it is anarchic and farcical...if you like that kind of thing you will like this.
    Going to Lysistrata in Croydon next Wednesday, and Midsummer Nights Dream at the Globe on the 29th.
  • Went to Cirque du Soleil last night.

WOW

That is all
  • Just seen Wild Swans at Young Vic, was fabulous. My friend made the paddy field
  • I saw it last night too. The set was amazing: market place to ploughed field (with soil and muck) to hospital ward to paddy fields (with water) to city centre! Very impressive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing can beat Les Miserables for me. You need to know the story in advance but it is as close to my ideal of perfection for a musical as I think you can get. Kicking myself that it has been on the west end since 1985 and I have only just discovered it. What a waste!
  • edited May 2012
    A night at the Opera anyone? My Mum was Italian so I make no apologies for my tastes. I know that English people groan and think this is just for the rich toffs and that is a great pity. It is undoubtedly expensive and a lot of toffs do go, but the audiences are changing and the English National Opera's Madame Butterfly at The Coliseum is pulling in a very varied audience. I saw rucksacks and trainers, shock, horror and no rattling of the jewellery.

It is a re run of Anthony Minghella's famous production of Puccini's Madam Butterfly which debuted with the ENO in 2005. This is opera which is primarily intended as spectacle, vivid and visually thrilling spectacle. Story is naff, basically about what we now call paedophilia and US power and arrogance both globally and personally. At times the rampant orchestra overwhelms the singing but the singing is almost secondary. It is sung in English and the actual words are run on a message board across the top of the stage. Mrs Pinkerton (Madame Butterfly) has a three year old child and the child is a puppet (echoes of War Horse). Three black clothed figures operate the Japanese inspired puppet who becomes a real child in the mind. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

So if you ever wanted to try out an opera, I would suggest that this would be a perfect choice.
  • I saw the marriage of figaro in budapest a few years ago. Really enjoyed it.
  • oooh forgot to put on here that we went to see Educating Rita at Menier Chocolate Factory a couple of weeks ago. Matthew Kelly and Claire Sweeney. Really enjoyed it and great little venue.

@stilladdicted never seen an opera, but definitely something I would like to see

working out where to see Starlight Express now that its on tour again. It'll be about the 15th time I'll have seen it since the 80s.
  • seeing Misterman next week - first thing in ages so fingers crossed.
  • went to see Abigail's Party last Thursday at Wyndhams Theatre. Brilliant.
    Great cast, and it's very well done. Joe Absolum, Natalie Casey and that girl i can't remember her name who was in corrie, eastenders and won strictly come dancing. She's no Alison Steadman, but she's good.

@stilladdicted thinking of getting tickets for Porgy & Bess in July? have you seen?
  • Seen a lot this last few months.
    All new people at the Duke of yorks was indulgent rubbish.
    Midsummer Nights Dream anarchic style at Lyric Hammersmith was cowardly.
    Midsummer Nights Dream at the Globe was excellent.
    Top Girls in whitehall was absolute rubbish.
    Lysistrata at fairfield halls was a decent effort.
    Playboy of the Western World at the old Vic was enchanting.
    James Corden in One man Two Governors in the Strand was so so at best, god knows why it's such a hit, and is storming Broadway.
    Shrek is complete rubbish.

Next up will be History Boys at Greenwich.

echo what Suzi has said...the Cape Town Porgy and Bess looks promising, anybody know if it's possible to get affordable tickets for it?
  • Collaborators at the National yesterday -- enthralling.
  • Saw Absent Friends back in February, not sure if it still on but was very impressed. Very witty and some good lines, would certainly recommend it.

Has anyone seen Noises Off, seen the advertisement and thinking of booking tickets but would not mind an endorsement first.

• Sure I have mentioned this before but if you are interested in theatre check out audience club. £25 membership fee and they sell unsold theatre and music tickets for £2.50. Many small shows but we have seen some really good westend shows. Include music too. Bargain amazing to think you can get a ticket for less than your ice cream
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw Absent Friends back in February, not sure if it still on but was very impressed. Very witty and some good lines, would certainly recommend it.

Has anyone seen Noises Off, seen the advertisement and thinking of booking tickets but would not mind an endorsement first.

Saw Noises Off recently, had seen in once before in 80s. Thought it was very good, but 4* not 5*, and you do have to like farce (some posts here confirm - if you hate even well done farce then it's not for you). It's brilliantly written and choreographed (not in a dance way, you understand) - and hence TV/DVD would never do it justice.
  • Sure I have mentioned this before but if you are interested in theatre check out audience club. £25 membership fee and they sell unsold theatre and music tickets for £2.50. Many small shows but we have seen some really good westend shows. Include music too. Bargain amazing to think you can get a ticket for less than your ice cream
    I joined us having seen about it in an earlier post, presumably yours Kimbo. Whoever it was, thank you, it was a great tip, seen some good things so far inc a great comedy night at Apollo (Al Murray, Richard Herring, etc). Well worth a punt especially if you're up for something beyond mainstream
  • @redlanered

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear. Sounds good.
  • Went to see In The Night Garden at the O2. A moving performance from Iggle Piggle after he lost his blanket.
  • Went to see In The Night Garden at the O2. A moving performance from Iggle Piggle after he lost his blanket.
    I went on Saturday. Was moved to tears during the scene when Upsy Daisy's megaphone got Makka Pakkas sponge stuck in it.
    I went on Saturday. Was moved to tears during the scene when Upsy Daisy's megaphone got Makka Pakkas sponge stuck in it.
    Although not as much as when I saw they wanted £8 for a poxy balloon after the show!
    Although not as much as when I saw they wanted £8 for a poxy balloon after the show!
    Managed to get through the merchandise section unscathed.

On a more serious note, like the Donmar when seeing a play as its so intimate.

• went to see Abigail's Party last Thursday at Wyndhams Theatre. Brilliant.
    Great cast, and it's very well done. Joe Absolum, Natalie Casey and that girl i can't remember her name who was in corrie, eastenders and won strictly come dancing. She's no Alison Steadman, but she's good.

@stilladdicted thinking of getting tickets for Porgy & Bess in July? have you seen?
    Ruefully no as we are still hoping that, barring any more mishaps, we can finally start our holiday. As to Porgy and Bess, a terrific story, which when combined with Gershwin, Trevor Nunn and the Coliseum has entertainment mega hit written all over it. Go if you can, but swallow hard and get good seats. P.S. Foux du Fa Fa was an inspired choice, just love it!

• Went to see Starlight Express last Monday evening in Liverpool - a birthday treat for me - it was brilliant as it has been the 14 times I've seen it before. If you can catch it as it tours the country then do so. Kids would love it - it's funny, fun, and entertaining. I'm hoping to catch it at least 1 more time. It's obviously not the same as it used to be when they skated round the audience, but they have added a 3D film for the race sections which are fab!

My mum gave me a theatre IOU in with my birthday present so i have a free reign for (available) tickets for something over the next few months - any suggestions?

Anyone going to see Carousel? Tempted to go and see it and see how 'You'll never walk alone' was meant to be sung.
  • suzi...may not be your cup of tea, but the Globe (Henry V?) is rarely rubbish. Mind you went to see Romeo and Juliet there about 3 years ago, and was delighted when Juliet died as she was awful.