Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did Danny Mills and John Robinson ruin Redknapps reputation?

edited May 2012 in General Charlton
Interesting take on why Redknapp didn’t get England job.....from a West Ham fan

I was standing in the away end at the Valley, Charlton, and it was simply hosing it down as West Ham attempted to hold onto a 2-1 lead with a bit over a quarter-of-an-hour on the clock.

Despite an arthritic knee and what pace he ever possessed forever gone former Hammers hero Julian Dicks had been asked to play in an unfamiliar wingback role and was taking a chasing from Addicks right-back Danny Mills. Worse still Charlton boss Alan Curbishley, along with everybody else in the stadium, spotted Dicks’ distress and doubled up on him by bringing on substitute winger John Robinson.

When I say “everybody” I mean all bar the West Ham manager. Despite having the useful French wide player Marc Keller on the bench he failed to act – Mills banged one in and Andy Hunt and Neil Redfearn grabbed a late one each to give our South London cousins a 4-2 victory. I walked back to the car in Anchor and Hope Lane unable to believe any manager worth his name could have been so tactically inept. Soaked to the bone, angry and confused – that Saturday in October 1998 was the day I stopped believing in Harry Redknapp.

Comments

• Options
    Mrs. R did not want HR doing a 400 mile round-trip to FA HQ several times a week - and so he turned it down.

Mystery over.
  • Options
    I prefer masicat's story ;-)
  • Options
    I remember that game for Mills ending Dicks career with the way he took him to pieces going forward
  • Options
    Mrs. R did not want HR doing a 400 mile round-trip to FA HQ several times a week - and so he turned it down.

Mystery over.
    Show me a quote that reveals that. The FA said they didn't approach him. He said he wasn't approached. So you're talking shit.
  • Options
    @masicat
    Well you've posted some crap on here in the past mate but I take it all back now. Excellent piece.
    Love it. Let's hope it goes viral.
  • Options
    Guess we've all had our moments when we've felt the manager's lost it, but thanks for the memories - big of you to relive it for us.
  • Options
    Great game and day that was.
  • Options
    I remember that game for Mills ending Dicks career with the way he took him to pieces going forward
    Now you mention it, I recall having EXACTLY the same thoughts at the time myself! It was sad to see Dicks struggle so much, though conversely taking apart a big 'name' did wonders for Mills' reputation, and helped his eventual rise to the England team.
  • Options

Mystery over.

Show me a quote that reveals that. The FA said they didn't approach him. He said he wasn't approached. So you're talking shit.
    I belive this was in the papers yesterday from a source close to Harry
  • Options
    Definitely true then!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2012

Mystery over.
    Calm down fella!
    The link to this story is on the NEXT ENGLAND MANAGER thread if you can be bothered to read through it before laying into people.

Page 3, penultimate post.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/47922/next-england-manager/p3
  • Options
    I reckon they sounded out Harrys boss - his wife (as above)..

;)
  • Options
    sorry sorry. i did have a read of it and it wasn't convincing but whatever..

more importantly, i wish john robinson was still playing.
  • Options
    The OP is the first part of an article thats been posted on KUMB today. Heres the full article:

kumb.com/article.php?id=3038
  • Options
    My bother supports the yids ( poor fella ) and goes to most games, he said harry redknapp is a good manager when things are going his way but when they are not he is shown up as he has no plan b and lacks tactical knowledge about how to change it round
  • Options
  • Options
    superb ... also never seen that beore LOL
  • Options
    Remember that night like it was yesterday, Ilic missed the game through injury (week before had a bang on the head against the Italian Chelsea Team) Petterson was in goal (out of depth isnt the word). Ian Wright was playing for the Hammers that dayand I think Carl Tiler scored on his home debut.

Pissed down the whole game i think too.

Miss those days.
  • Options
    Pissed down the whole game i think too.
    yup ... and none us of cared ... I was at front of East Stand and got soaked
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Things went wrong when it transpired that he was a thieving so and so
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember the game well: The following Monday I was in a boxing gym in Clapton with Lennox Lewis and he said that he was at the game (he's a 'ammer) and that "David" Mills had run WHUFC ragged: "You pratt" I said, "Its Danny Mills" !
    Total silence.
    Then he laughed. "Thats what I meant". He said.
  • Options
    sorry sorry. i did have a read of it and it wasn't convincing but whatever..

more importantly, i wish john robinson was still playing.
    Well great though JR was, I think at nearly 41 he might be a tad past it now;-)

• Options
    I think you had to be there MOG....
  • Options
    My memory of that game is fleeting, but I thought it Was Shaun Newton who did the business to bring us back into it... might be wrong though!
  • Options

@masicat
    Well you've posted some crap on here in the past mate but I take it all back now. Excellent piece.
    Love it. Let's hope it goes viral

This bought a tear to my eye. Right back at ya !!
  • Options
    Didn't The Guardian's Secret Footballer say that Harry Redknapp puts the team out but gives practically no information as to tactics. I think he said he tells them before kick off who's taking free kicks and corners and that's it.

Would make sense because I remember him admitting that he calls Jamie Redknapp at half time for advice.
  • Options
    Didn't The Guardian's Secret Footballer say that Harry Redknapp puts the team out but gives practically no information as to tactics. I think he said he tells them before kick off who's taking free kicks and corners and that's it.

Would make sense because I remember him admitting that he calls Jamie Redknapp at half time for advice.
    I've always thought it's a bit of a ruse. As a journalist once put it in a piece on HR, "it takes a smart man to understand the advantages of stupidity"
  • Options
    I would hardly say the people's runaway favourite for the top job in England has a 'ruined reputation' based on one defeat 13 years ago.

If anything his reputation is about five times bigger now than it was then!
  • Options

I've always thought it's a bit of a ruse. As a journalist once put it in a piece on HR, "it takes a smart man to understand the advantages of stupidity"
    I do agree. After all, Cloughie just used to put a team together and motivate the individual. It's a philosophy that definitely has its own advantages, just wonder if the FA were looking for a more technical approach.