Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Public Speaking..

edited February 2012 in Not Sports Related
i've got to give a speech to a couple of hundred people at a conference on Wednesday - long time since i have done anything like this

anyone here got any handy hints on public speaking - fortunately the speech is on a topic i am comfortable with - but how do you overcome nerves, should you practise beforehand etc etc

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Imagine them naked!

In all seriousness, if you think you are talking loud enough, speak louder and if you think you're speaking slow enough, speak slower. Got told that by someone in advertising who was used to pitching and speaking infront of big groups. Could be rubbish, could be good advice. Definitely practice, infront of a mirror and maybe with someone else.
  • Options
    Bang one out in the bogs before hand. Always calms me down
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Write it down, get someone to time you , Def practice it ,got one to do at my dads funeral tomorrow, just hope I don't crack up!
  • Options
    Andy Lopata is your man! Speak/email him
  • Options
    You may not want to script what you say word-for-word - it can sound like you're reading out the phone book if you're not careful. But have good notes and think of scripting your first sentance at least - it means you start out confidently.

Practice for sure, ideally with a friendly audience of 1 or 2 people. Dan's point above about speaking a little more slowly/loudly is a good one.
  • Options
    Or just scream a load of bollocks like BDL does ;-)
  • Options
    Dont mention ze war!
  • Options
    My worst nightmare. If I have any phobia its public speaking. I have had to do presentations at work and I can't think of anything else months leading up to it.
    I was advised to do the thinking of them naked thing but it didnt work for me.
  • Options
    You may not want to script what you say word-for-word - it can sound like you're reading out the phone book if you're not careful. But have good notes and think of scripting your first sentance at least - it means you start out confidently.

Practice for sure, ideally with a friendly audience of 1 or 2 people. Dan's point above about speaking a little more slowly/loudly is a good one.
    that's what i am wondering - wholly scripted or headlines for each sections

gonna be giving the speech to the wife when she gets in...lucky her!
  • Options
    cafcdan said: In all seriousness, if you think you are talking loud enough, speak louder and if you think you're speaking slow enough, speak slower. Got told that by someone in advertising who was used to pitching and speaking infront of big groups. Could be rubbish, could be good advice. Definitely practice, infront of a mirror and maybe with someone else.
    Having done many speeches I would endorse this absolutely. Most speeches go wrong because the speaker speaks too fast. This is not a normal conversation you are having with your mates. If you write it out, where you would put a comma, leave a pause. Where you would put a full stop leave a longer pause. Not only will it give you confidence, it will be audible to your audience and will make them believe that you know your topic. And have a glass of water and don't be afraid to take a sip. You will think that you are making your audience wait BUT I can assure you that it makes them aware that YOU are in control.

Look at the back of the audience and at each side - that makes them think you are speaking to each of them and that YOU are in control (which is what you want to achieve.)
    ps Always go to the loo in advance.

Good luck Mendonca - probably the most stressful speech you can ever make.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was gonna say open up with a joke about your mother-in-law but this might be more useful;-

http://www.toastmasters.org/tips.asp
  • Options

Script or notes? Well there's no right or wrong - personally I'm OK with good notes as I can speak more naturally. It also means you can look at the audience a lot more, which is definitely desirable (hence newsreaders etc have autocues rather than read off a piece of paper)
  • Options
    Was gonna say open up with a joke about your mother-in-law but this might be more useful;-

good link - thanks!

making it humorous is the hardest part - it's not a particularly funny subject (the removal of additives from bread)......

• Options
    cafcdan said: In all seriousness, if you think you are talking loud enough, speak louder and if you think you're speaking slow enough, speak slower. Got told that by someone in advertising who was used to pitching and speaking infront of big groups. Could be rubbish, could be good advice. Definitely practice, infront of a mirror and maybe with someone else.
    And have a glass of water and don't be afraid to take a sip. You will think that you are making your audience wait BUT I can assure you that it makes them aware that YOU are in control.
    thanks LA, I like the idea of the glass of water but i fear my hands will be shaking so much that most of it will end up over me......

• Options

good link - thanks!

making it humorous is the hardest part - it's not a particularly funny subject (the removal of additives from bread)......

I hope you rise to the challenge, if you do, I'm sure you will earn lots of dough because of it...
  • Options

A simple process that works:
    1. Make notes of what you plan you cover in mind map form - this is more memorable as it makes links between topics.
    2. Write a script (verbatim if you have to, but not if you are confident of your ability to ad lib)
    3. Copy the key words of your script as bullet points on index cards (NOT paper). If you use more than one card, fix them together with a key ring or with india tags.
    4. Bin the script and keep the cards in your pocket in case you need a prompt.

All the best. Should be good fun.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I was at a course last week on presentations, and he said when you stand up you should take a deep breadth and pause. It makes you look as if you are in control, gets peoples attention and you start your speech more slowly instead of diving straight in. Good Luck
  • Options

A simple process that works:
    1. Make notes of what you plan you cover in mind map form - this is more memorable as it makes links between topics.
    2. Write a script (verbatim if you have to, but not if you are confident of your ability to ad lib)
    3. Copy the key words of your script as bullet points on index cards (NOT paper). If you use more than one card, fix them together with a key ring or with india tags.
    4. Bin the script and keep the cards in your pocket in case you need a prompt.

All the best. Should be good fun.
    Excellent! Have done 1 & 2...now for 3 & 4
  • Options
    Chat to somone inside before your speech. Sitting there in silence preying about what is about to happen is the killer.

Did a presentation to governors at school last week and it worked a treat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It will really help if you do some breathing exercises, and especially some deep breaths just before you start.
    Could not agree more about a lot of amplitude and a slowish pace with pauses. Make sure you stand still so all your energy is in your voice, anyway shuffling around, and lots of gestures are distracting.
    Start with a pleasant expression, a smile even, and then your audience won't get worried for you.
    Try hard to have some clear diction, and correct pronounciation, for example we might fail our exams, not foul them.
    Try to say the following three times:
    Irish Wristwatch
    It is funny how we can say each word perfectly individually, but put together we mess up...it is about practice (not much time until Wednesday).
    Try:
    A blokes back brake block broke.
    The twenty to two train to Tooting tootled tunefully as it tore through the tunnel.
    Five French friars fanning a fainted flea.
    Choose stew Tuesday, Tuesday is stew day.
    There are many more but you get my point. We often take our voices for granted, and although I have not seen The Kings Speech I am glad some attention is being paid to a neglected area.
    If you look just above the heads of the people, or at their foreheads it might help you. Try to exhude confidence, which best comes from proper preparation.
  • Options
    It will really help if you do some breathing exercises, and especially some deep breaths just before you start.
    Could not agree more about a lot of amplitude and a slowish pace with pauses. Make sure you stand still so all your energy is in your voice, anyway shuffling around, and lots of gestures are distracting.
    Start with a pleasant expression, a smile even, and then your audience won't get worried for you.
    Try hard to have some clear diction, and correct pronounciation, for example we might fail our exams, not foul them.
    Try to say the following three times:
    Irish Wristwatch
    It is funny how we can say each word perfectly individually, but put together we mess up...it is about practice (not much time until Wednesday).
    Try:
    A blokes back brake block broke.
    The twenty to two train to Tooting tootled tunefully as it tore through the tunnel.
    Five French friars fanning a fainted flea.
    Choose stew Tuesday, Tuesday is stew day.
    There are many more but you get my point. We often take our voices for granted, and although I have not seen The Kings Speech I am glad some attention is being paid to a neglected area.
    If you look just above the heads of the people, or at their foreheads it might help you. Try to exhude confidence, which best comes from proper preparation.
    Thanks Seth - I hope an English accent in a room full of Canadians is going to be a good thing. It's a 30 minute speech & i just timed myself at 31 - but yes i am conscious of garbling at times :(

• Options
    During my speeches;what helps me is if I leave my left ball hanging out my trousers so it tingles and I can't feel anything try it ;)
  • Options
    Teachers have a saying:

Tell them what you're going to say.
    Say it.
    Tell them what you've said.

Your audience may get the important points and words first time, but there is nothing worse for a listener than feeling they have missed something crucial.
    Mind you the point about teachers wouldn't work nowadays, people don't really like being lectured to, and attention spans are getting shorter and shorter.
    Can you get it down to a brilliant 20 minutes? (Ignore if you are getting paid by the minute!)
  • Options
    Why don't you see how many Charlton references you can sneak in? That way, we'll all have a laugh when it ends up on YouTube and you'll be quietly smug as you entertain yourself with how much more clever you are than the audience!
  • Options
    During my speeches;what helps me is if I leave my left ball hanging out my trousers so it tingles and I can't feel anything try it ;)
    TMI

• Options
    Teachers have a saying:

Tell them what you're going to say.
    Say it.
    Tell them what you've said.

Your audience may get the important points and words first time, but there is nothing worse for a listener than feeling they have missed something crucial.
    Mind you the point about teachers wouldn't work nowadays, people don't really like being lectured to, and attention spans are getting shorter and shorter.
    Can you get it down to a brilliant 20 minutes? (Ignore if you are getting paid by the minute!)
    Going to do a bit of editing - it's the presentation before lunch, so i think the pressure will be on to make it short & sweet....
  • Options
    Used to have to do this regularly to hundreds at a time a few years back as a Trade Union official (don't laugh...)

Helped that a lot of them were 'my' members, but usually more than half were from other unions, or other branches, so could be a bit intimidating - escpecially when having to convey information that wasn't popular.

As some of you might have noticed, I'm not exactly a shrinking violet, but I found it a bit daunting at times. Best advice I would give is just to be yourself. I know that's a cliche, but trust me - it's 100% correct. Trying to modify your voice to 'posh' it up, or talk stiltingly slowly just makes you look and sound like a complete plum.

Make notes on salient points - don't have a big speech prepared, but ensure you have planned out the structure of what you have to say nice and clearly - I find having a big card with notes on the start, main content and endpiece of a speech, together with numbered cards for the 'detail' is a good way of making sure you cover everything you need to. And take a stopwatch as well. Nothing like being halfway through talking before you realise you've only got about two minutes left to wrap it up.

Break a leg!
  • Options
    Just try not to pisspronunciate any of your worms
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    All I would add to the above and this is not a wind up, is be cafeful what you do with your hands. No one likes to watch a traffic cop with over active hands and arms or a poor mans Magnus Pike or a change machine (rattling coins in your pocket). Prince Charles for example puts one of his hands in his jacket pocket whilst a lot of politicians hold the lectern with both hands. Finally make sure any props, slides, microphones etc are all ready to go and definitely have a practice run in front of family or close friend. Let us know how it goes and Good luck.