Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parking at the Valley

edited March 2011 in Match Day Travel
I usually travel with my Grandad who has a permit to park behind the West Stand. However, for the Brentford game I am driving down with my girlfriend and I am unsure where to park. Is the car park at PC World (or whichever electrical retailers is situated on the roundabout) one that gets clamped? If so, could people suggest areas to park? Thanks

Comments

• edited December 2011
     Sadly loads of places to park, the PC world shopping park is fine but park outside MFI to be on the safe side (Don't take my space). If you want a drink The Rose Of Dernmark car park is rarely full these days (On Woolwich road between the flyover and BP Garage), up by the sainsbury depot, you'll be spoilt for choice *

*Disclaimer the procurement of parking tickets or any other form of financial penalty is at the risk of the person parking the car, Kap 10 and associated alias's and pseudonyms accept no liability for this advice.
  • I have parked outside Halfords many times for about 7 years and never had an issue. At your own risk though.
  • outside MFI gets really busy on Saturdays, better to find somewhere else ;-)
  • edited March 2011
    Always park at top of hill near Charlton Village, roads such as Marlbrough Park Road, Canberra Road etc are free to park and no restrictions. Bit further to walk though.
  • edited March 2011
    MFI will be fine if you can get parked there.

Round the back of PC World is OK too, loads of room there - not in the actual car park though, you have to take a left at the next little road and follow it round.
  • Thanks everyone, although based on tonight not sure I want to make the effort after all! Oh the joys of being a football fan!
  • I've been parking at the Currys / PC world retail park car park this season but I was wondering if anyone knows if this stays open at night? I've got a long(ish) journey back to Norfolk monday night and work on Tuesday so could do without having my car locked in.
  • I've been parking at the Currys / PC world retail park car park this season but I was wondering if anyone knows if this stays open at night? I've got a long(ish) journey back to Norfolk monday night and work on Tuesday so could do without having my car locked in.
    Yes  - to be on the safe side park outside MFI but wait till after I get there and don't take my place.
  • did anyone else get warned at the last home game that they were going to start ticketing fans parking outside mfi? the blokes in the yellow jackets were taking reg numbers down and said from the 2nd onwards tickets will be issued
    just wondering if i need to find a new place to park......
  • Yes, I did.

I forgot to ask on here when I got home.

I wasn't told myself but a friend (who also parked outside mfi) was told that if he parked there he would be either clamped or fined, never mentioned the 2nd of Jan to him and no idea why they never spoke to me. They told him it was as of that day 18th Dec.

He moved elsewhere but I parked there anyway as I wasn't warned and when he told me I had a quick walk back and couldn't see any signs etc.

I used to park in the next road along (as if going round the back of pc world) but after a night game last year a couple of windows were smashed so I started parking in the retail car park. There always used to be signs about clamping in the pc world/mfi car park but they were taken down a few weeks before.

I'd forgotten all about it but now thinking I may need a new car parking spot myself...anyone have a good spot they could recommend?

• Sponsored links:

• yeh i got told new signs would be going up before the next home game. im not sure how they determine who is a shopper and who isnt? guess they maybe will put a time limit to park there.
  • edited December 2011
    I got clamped outside pc world a few seasons back , there was no signs there and when I returned there was one infront of my bonnet , the whole car park had been done, it all got a bit violent when some of our boys realised they had been clamped, i think about a dozen or so waded into the big fat bstd thaat was giving the tickets out , the ob turned up and enough people started going mad that the signs were not up prior to parking,

The ob got them to remove the clamps off the remaining cars that hadn't paid and I haven't parked there since
  • Wasn't it one of Cameron's election pledges to outlaw private clamping.  What happened to that?
  • Wasn't it one of Cameron's election pledges to outlaw private clamping.  What happened to that?
    Its been tabled for next year - most of the legal stuff done.

• That'll be good news then.
  • So is that just parking outside MFI or all of the car parks including PC world and Halfords?

We did see the 2 black guys outside MFI talking to some people in cars but saw no one in the PC world carpark??

• So, Brentford game and I avoided the MFI car park to be safe. I parked what felt like (on the walk back to my car) about 3.5 miles away. However on walking to the ground I walked by to have a look (about half 1) and noticed nothing new. No signs, no people on patrol, no nothing. As usual after the game 98% of the cars were leaving at the same time so was obviously full of Charlton.
    Anyone else park there like normal?
    Was there anyone there or any signs etc when you got there?

I'll be parking there tomorrow or at least driving there first to see if anyone is there warning not to park etc. I should have gone back to my car last week and moved it when I see nobody there but just couldn't be bothered.
  • I avoided it, but my three pals who usually do, did and had no problems nor did they see any signs.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if you park there and get done ;-)
  • I'm driving with my family to The Valley this Saturday when we play Middlesbrough. Normally I take the train but all of us are going for the first time together. Is it still possible to park in Marlborough Park Avenue or some where nearby Charlton village for free where there are no parking restrictions and then walk to the ground? My youngest is only four so I don't want to walk too far although he's pretty good walking a fair distance.

Thanks.
  • smiffyboy said:

Senpai, yes it's still ok to park in roads off of the village Charlton park side

Cheers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hi guys, I'm contemplating driving up for the first time in years vs Wednesday. Does anyone know where I can park for free as I'm not sure if this thread is still correct. I actually don't mind a pay and display either.
  • * saying that may do as senpai says...
    Its been tabled for next year - most of the legal stuff done.

True but that won't help parking outside superstores like mfi for attending football matches. You can't really blame them for not wanting their parking taken up by football fans with no availability for genuine customers.

• The car park in Charlton Park, on Charlton Park Road. Free, and easy walk to the ground.
  • Park in front of the goal. We need all the help we can get.
  • If you are driving a coach, park it across our goal, please.
  • near the Thames Barrier is good. Loads of parking, all free, short walk to ground.
  • Dazzler21 said:

* saying that may do as senpai says...

Dazzler. I did park around Marlborough Avenue but not in the actual street. I think I was in a road off of it. There was plenty of parking around Marlborough Avenue when I drove through. I found it very handy when I was driving back to Kent after the game because a lot of traffic goes through there, and it means that you can avoid the queues from The Valley having to drive that way towards the direction of Shooters Hill and the A2.
  • edited December 2013
    Clamping on private land is illegal in England from 01 October 2012 - Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 - so has already been illegal for a year; the signs are a threat but an out of date one. There have been successful prosecutions of some clampers. There are still some places were clamps can be applied were it is in primary legislation on Railway land and on the public highway (though only Kensington still clamp).