Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: 2011 Charlton Review - January

If 2011 will be remembered as the year that brought about a series of regime changes in the Middle East, then the precedent was set in the
South East on the very first day of the year.

Michael Slater, Tony Jimenez and their merry band of Mysterons took control in time for the action-packed visit to Colchester on New Year’s Day, with the
Addicks three times coming from behind to secure a point. It was a mixed day for Paul Benson, with the striker securing our third before having
what looked like a legitimate winner disallowed, and then promptly getting himself sent off with a lunge with two minutes to go. That passage of play may have proved pivotal for Benson, who’s Charlton career never really settled down again after that.

Neither did it for Phil Parkinson. Two days later saw the Sky cameras in town for the visit of lowly Swindon, where a win would have taken us third in the table. But a win was never on the cards as the home side were outplayed, outfought and completely devoid of ideas. A 1-0 lead collapsed into a 4-1 reverse, with Pavel Abbott netted a late consolation. Boos rung out
around The Valley at the final whistle and the new board wasted no time dwelling upon it. This was not what they were investing in, and Parkinson was ruthlessly dispensed the following day.

Parkinson split supporters in three ways; Some were instantly pleased Parkinson had been released of his duties because they ultimately felt he should
never have been given the permanent job in the first place. At the other end of the spectrum, some had a great deal of respect for his approach
and work ethic, and with the team still residing in a play-off position, believed he deserved until the end of the season to prove himself to
the new board. The majority in the middle probably erred towards the later stance, but certainly shed no tears once the decision had been
made.

Parkinson was not the only one in January receiving their marching orders. Andy Gray and Richard Keys were controversially sacked
from Sky following derogatory comments about a female linesman, uncovering a series of further sexist behaviour surrounding the pair.

imageimage

The week that followed saw the busiest week Charlton Life had experienced in its history as speculation surrounding the manager’s position reaching fever pitch. With his links to Jimenez, a nearby home and son in our youth team, Gus Poyet was installed as the early bookies favourite, but due to the tremendous momentum Brighton were experiencing this was never likely to play out.

With many supporters united in fear that Dennis Wise was going to pitch up, most were hopeful that the reports that Eddie Howe at Bournemouth had been interviewed would result in him getting the job. Eddie though had other ideas, and a will he / won’t farce emerged with uncertainty over whether he would join Charlton, Palace or stay with the Cherries.

While the situation was possibly the greatest moment in the life of the Bournemouth local hack running a live blog, the indecision put paid to Howe’s chances at The Valley and the net was cast wider.

Little in the way of rumour was escaping from The Valley with any real credibility, unlike in the United States where thousands of classified US diplomatic cables found its way onto Julian Assange’s WikiLeaks website.

Of those interviewed for the Charlton role, it was rumoured Andy Scott of
Brentford impressed the most, Gary Johnson the least, and Paul Tisdale somewhere in the middle. And then the name Chris Powell was thrown into
the ring, and finally, after what felt like years of doom and depression, a positive wave filtered through the Charlton skies with supporters unanimous that the popular ex-player could be just what was needed to finally take this club forward again. In a blink of an eye, he was interviewed, offered the job, and installed as our new manager.

In between, the diversion of a visit to Tottenham in the third round of the cup saw a passionate 4,000+ following win the vocal battle, but
sadly the half-time introduction of the classy Luca Modric led to the inevitable Judas Defoe double, and the Addicks were sent packing back through the Blackwall Tunnel to concentrate on the league.

Powell opted to sit in the stands for the visit to Sheffield Wednesday, and the 2-2 draw saw the team fall out of the play-off positions for the first time since October. His homecoming put 2,000 on the attendance versus Plymouth and the reds ended the month on a high as two second half goals from Scott Wagstaff and Nathan Ecclestone ended a six-game winless run.

Things appeared to be picking up......

February review can be found here

Comments

• edited December 2011
    There's just something smarmy about that slater picture , I don't like it
    As for SCP, well you see that smile and you just wanna hug him
    I thought parky had earnt the right to have a go to the end of the season but liked the fact the new owners took a claculated gamble on a club legend
    He who dares rodney , he who dares
  • Enjoyable review. Thanks. Parky was sacked on my birthday and I thought it a bit harsh. I definitely fell into the give him till the end of the season category. Now it is clear to me that he was the manager no one wanted. Internally he only got the job (and kept it) because we couldn't afford to sack him or bring in a replacement. He kept the team playing (and in playoff contention) despite our fragile financial position. Unlike pardew I never heard him complain once. However I do think he was workmanlike (never inspiring) and this was reflected in the on pitch performances. I do not think he could have turned the first team around in the way that powell has so in hindsight the new owners made the right decision.
  • edited December 2011
    The first things the new owners did  :

A) Get rid of an under-performing manager.
    B) Buy the Division's top scorer for 10 times the amount we previously spent on a player.
    C) Bring in a club legend as manager.

They have my vote !

• The first things the new owners did  :

A) Get rid of an under-performing manager.
    B) Buy the Division's top scorer for 10 times the amount we previously spent on a player.
    C) Bring in a club legend as manager.

They have my vote !

D) Sorted out the holes in the car park
  • Great start! Looking forward to the other 11
  • Very good AFKA, looking forward to part 2
  • Top draw stuff AFKA.
  • Good article as usual.
  • You know how time seems to fly by faster and faster? Well it's funny, in this case I find it difficult to believe that this time last year we still had Parky, we had nearly been bought by a dodgy mob fronted by Sebastian Sainsbury, the merits of which were discussed here by apparent members of that consortium and secret briefers against it; and we had a flaky team whose merits divided us. Hitting bottom that night against Swindon was less than a year ago...I don't know about anyone else but that seems a different generation. And that's a very good thing.

Happy Christmas to all the tribe...
  • Looking forward to the next installment ... Very good ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Were all that lot really interviewed for the job before Powell? Didn't know that. Think too much emphasis is placed on interviews for football manager's jobs. You should know who you want and then concentrate on him. In the end it seems to have been that way with Powell.
  • Great little read, thanks
  • We're all on a big high at the moment. Long may it continue. I am a very happy boy at the mement.  :-)
  • Have a feeling June and July might be a bit short..........................
  • "Little in the way of rumour was escaping from The Valley with any real credibility"

"Of those interviewed for the Charlton role, it was rumoured Andy Scott of 
    Brentford impressed the most, Gary Johnson the least, and Paul Tisdale somewhere in the middle".

So how credible are those rumours AFKA?

Enjoyable piece btw
  • Great article AFKA. Hats off to a first class review.

When interviewed on TV Chris Powell comes across as a perfect gentleman. He is in control of what he says and he breathes confidence.
    He is not the bollocking Brian Clough type of manager but comes across as a man who can charm the best out of his team and gets the same results.
    WOW !!! JUST LOOK AT THOSE RESULTS !!!!

Onwards and upwards.COYR

• Good review AFKA , a lot has happened in a year!
  • The one thing among all in the past year that has seen our rise from a hapless mid to bottom 1st division club to a club with a 7 point lead and a massive opportunity to get out of this awful division is the sacking of Parkinson. How anyone can say he deserved to stay and get a further chance i do not know...were any of those who do at any of the hapless performances under Parkinson, Swindon was just the final straw as the camel had its back broken long before then.

If we are to have any aspirations of sucess then it was never going to happen under Parkinson, so to me his sacking and show of strength from Slater & Jimenez in doing so is the turning point not only in the past year but in the past 4 years. Sorry, i know hes gone and there will no doubt be those who find the need to say so in reply to this, probably the same ones who continue to spout that he is a decent hardworking nice chap who should have had longer.

• The one thing among all in the past year that has seen our rise from a hapless mid to bottom 1st division club

We were never that under Parkinson ......... only bottom half last season with Chris Powell as manager. Right?
  • edited December 2011
    Parky did pretty well for us at this level. Finished with 84 points in 09/10. He had a weaker squad than the current one, no goalscoring striker and none of the other benefits Powell has - the new scouting set up, paying transfer fees and handing out long term contracts etc.

Back then our fans in general had similar opinions to Sheff Wed fans now (me included, start of 09/10 I also thought we had several players that would be too good for this league.) Their players are apparenty the best in the league but just aren't trying hard enough/are bottling it or it's the managers fault.

I was happy to see a fresh start after the takeover and thankfully they have made the right choice, but it's wrong to say Parky turned us into a mid/bottom League 1 club. He had us challenging the whole time he managed us at this level.

It's also easy to forget we played some good football early on in 09/10 but Parky had to adapt it to keep grinding out results, especially the following season with the level of player we could afford.