Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Forgot to update this thread...

Jersey Boys - Loved it. I thought the staging was good and the storytelling direct to the audience worked well too. How lucky is the guy playing Valli? He gets to belt out "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" every night!

One Man, Two Guv'nors - Hilarious! James Corden has his knockers, but both he & th eensemble cast were brilliant. You'll watch it, go to the Valley and start shouting "Country Life!".

Gotta agree with you about One Man Two Guvnors, funniest thing I've seen in years
  • Got One Man 2 lined up, looks like it will be a decent choice.
  • Went to Top Girls last Thursday. Don't bother, decent effort but an awful play.
  • Went to see The Playboy of the Western World last night at the Old Vic. pretty good. I know the play was written in 1907, so it was of it's period, but it was well crafted, and well acted throughout. I found it sweetly funny, and language wise it was lovely, sort of Shakesperian in the speech.

As an evening at the theatre it was well worth it, especially as I had a ten quid ticket, but the girl let me move to an empty posher seat at half time.

• After watching the South Park episode of Broadway Bro Down I've realised I really should be taking my lady to the theatre more.
  • edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011

'Jerusalem'............ mmmmm well................Large sections of the audience went crazy but apart from having quite a lot of hearty laughs, this play just passed us by. We were initially distracted by the ludicrous notion that a Romany gypsy would live in an Airstream caravan, and despite fine acting, it just never became believable at any level. We were hugely disappointed.

'13' on at the National Theatre, world premiere of new play by Mike Bartlett. The play takes on themes and issues raised in the social networking revolution and asks what donotions of good and bad actually mean, is there such a thing as a Twitter revolution or are we heading for political dissipation and fragmentation.  Interesting and complex arguments are played out and set against our background of European social upheaval and riots, it is a timely play.

'The Kitchen' by Wesker also at the National. Absolutely stunning choreographically and superbly staged. The downside is that Wesker's political message gets lost in the visual feast on offer and the actual words spoken on stage don't really register at times. But if you like Wesker, then don't miss it.

• Have also been to see 'The Veil', Collaborators, Juno and the Paycock, The Comedy of Errors (Lenny Henry) , - all at the National and Broken Glass at the Vaudeville. Henry Miller's 'Broken Glass' is my top choice. Stars Anthony Sher, one of my all time favourite actors, and Tara Fitzgerald ('Eve' in TV production The Body Farm) and she is unexpectedly stunning. There's only 2 Lenny Henry's in the bawdy romp that is Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors. Modern day setting complete with Essex girl. Hugely enjoyable. Sean O'Casey's' Juno and the Paycock' was also excellent but the somewhat artfully contrived 'shabby chic' of the set somehow demoted the horrors of the 1922 Dublin tenement blocks. Fine acting throughout.

• I'm going to see Peppa Pig's Treasure Hunt at The Criterion next Sunday.
  • Am taking my daughter to see Shrek a couple of days before Christmas.  Looking forward to it.

Used to go Theatre regularly with the ex-wife but since we separated, my theatre outings have been limited to Christmas Pantomimes.  Its not really something you do as a single bloke, is it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw Million Dollar Quartet last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Based on an actual meeting on 4th December 1956 at Sun Records with Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis, it has a small but gifted cast belting out some Rock and Roll classics.

Would probably be appreciated most by fans of a certain age who are willing to clap and sing along to some well played and sung numbers.

• Agree War Horse is absolutely top notch and very moving. Am going to see One Man Two Guvnors next Saturday apparently it is hilarious. Can also recommend Noise Off which opens at The Old Vic (I think) soon very, very funny. The Woman in Black is brilliant as well and defy anyone not to jump out of their seat, also The 39 Steps is a real hoot, great entertainment. Don't care much for musicals but did enjoy The Producers although I feel asleep in Les Mis, what a bunch of moaners not one laugh all the way through!
  • Les Miserables, thought I would hate it as it's all sung, it was really good (about 4 years ago).

• Taking my nephews to Aladdin at Greenwich theatre on Saturday - cant wait.  Tavern cant either...

Anyway last night I was really really privileged to attend the Macmillan Cancer Support - Guards Chapel Carol Concert at Wellington Barracks.  Just wow.  Among the readers were Damian Lewis, Sheila Hancock, Richard (I dont believe it) Wilson, Imogen Stubbs and Derek Jacobi, and hosted by Martyn Lewis.  The musicians that played were beautiful.  In fact it was one of the loveliest things I've ever attended - I didnt realise i could be so cultured.

• Taking my nephews to Aladdin at Greenwich theatre on Saturday 

Oh no you're not
  •  Can also recommend Noise Off which opens at The Old Vic (I think) soon very, very funny.
    Noises Off- Can only disagree, having seen it in Liverpool a couple of years ago.  It's of the 'farce' genre, and was enough to put me off farces at the theatre for ever
  • The Panto at Greenwich is a "must see" for all locals. All ages too. We're going inbetween Christmas and New Year, even taking 16/17 year olds who still enjoy it. Always a wonderful production, tradtional but with modern themes too and thankfully not a Soap/Reality C-lister in sight!

• Saw "In Conversation With Penn & Teller" at the Indigo last night. Bit of chat, a Q&A with the audience and some amazing tricks.

Love them. Stephen Fry, who I don't love, hosted and as you'd expect was very good at it. Really great night with some interesting thoughts and theories on the world of magic from the pair. Yes Teller can and did speak!

Would love to see their Vegas show. Hope to one day.

At the end they ran off the stage which I thought was a bit odd, but when we came outside there they were, just standing there waiting to give autographs and have photo's taken etc. They must have stayed there ages. No bouncers/security etc. Amazing.

• edited December 2011

'The Railway Children'. (Apologies if previously covered above). Attended today's matinee and thoroughly enjoyed it. Like 'The 39 Steps' it has a innovative and minimalist design which takes a little getting used to but once you get the idea, it's fine. Like '39' a knowledge of the story and/or film is very handy but not essential to enjoying the advantures of the children (who are actually in their 20's but going back in time). Jenny Agguter's famous 'Daddy, my daddy' scene is re-lived and still brings a tear to the eye but the star of the show makes a terrific entrance and I won't spoil the surprise (I enjoyed anyway!)  A word about the venue: the theatre is within the confines of the now defunct Eurostar terminal of Waterloo station which must make it one of the biggest and most expensive venues for a play in Europe, Though of course only a relatively small area of the station is used for the auditorium, but it is somewhat eerie walking through the disused and cavenous terminal, up and down non-moving escalators and along stationary 'moving' walkways. Daspite its location though, the play makes for very enjoyable couple of hours for both young and old, but beware of the seats, they're bloody hard!

• I'll not give up until the entire UK population has been to see War Horse. Why on earth did i cry at a few strips of wood and leather being carried about the stage?  What magic turned these everday materials into real live horses with personalities? Take your kids, just don't miss it. It's the very essence of what good theatre is all about,
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll not give up until the entire UK population has been to see War Horse. Why on earth did i cry at a few strips of wood and leather being carried about the stage?  What magic turned these everday materials into real live horses with personalities? Take your kids, just don't miss it. It's the very essence of what good theatre is all about,

Agree with you 100% great show worried that the film will stop people going to see the show

• edited December 2011
    Love the theatre and go quite often with the Baroness and the Baronettes. Jaysers its expensive tho, wish it was cheaper. Theres a great site for all you theatre lovers , giving reviews , news , seating plans for all theatres in London including The o2 and Wembley arena. Very handy if you're wondering where your seat is!! Always gives value for money seating plans and some interesting quips from people who've sat in various theatres regarding the view, legroom etc. Helps to some degree. Well worth a look http://www.theatremonkey.com/.
  • Went to see Backbeat last night. The story of Stuart Sutcliffe with The Beatles in Hamburg. Was great. Andrew Knott (History Boys) is fab as John Lennon and the its great to see them actually playing the songs and singing. It finishes in March so try to go and see it if you like the beatles and are interested in the story. 

Going to see Chicago this afternoon. Have seen it before but think @les_says will enjoy it so he bought me tickets for xmas. (nothing to do with the scantily clad women!) First things first though - early dinner at the Savoy Grill. 
  • Went to see Backbeat last night. The story of Stuart Sutcliffe with The Beatles in Hamburg. Was great. Andrew Knott (History Boys) is fab as John Lennon and the its great to see them actually playing the songs and singing. It finishes in March so try to go and see it if you like the beatles and are interested in the story. 

Going to see Chicago this afternoon. Have seen it before but think @les_says will enjoy it so he bought me tickets for xmas. (nothing to do with the scantily clad women!) First things first though - early dinner at the Savoy Grill. 

We went to see Backbeat before Christmas really liked it too

• One Man Two Guvnor's beg or steal to get a ticket it's brilliant
  • One Man Two Guvnor's beg or steal to get a ticket it's brilliant

Looking forward to this one mid-February. I see it is going to transfer to another theatre in March.
  • Fly to new York and see American Idiot -Green day a fantastic show and a good place to visit.
  • agree with Suzi and Kimbo re Backbeat, got treated for my birthday just before Christmas. One of the most enjoyable theatre experiences I have had.
  • Haven't seen it myself, but my sister and her kids went to see Matilda the musical over Christmas, and absolutely loved it. They played the cast recording when I went over for my nephew's birthday, and the lyrics are very funny. Tim Minchin's done a cracking job.
  • agree with Suzi and Kimbo re Backbeat, got treated for my birthday just before Christmas. One of the most enjoyable theatre experiences I have had.
    got  an email today can get backbeat tickets for £15 at the moment