Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA fact and mini quiz

FACT bit
I only just found out that FIFA is still classed as a Charity!
It therefore pays no income tax, customs duties or VAT.
It demands comprehensive tax exemption as well in any country hosting the World Cup.

QUIZ bit
The UN has 193 members. (It is generally agreed there are three recognised countries that do not have UN membership - Kosovo Taiwan and The Vatican.)
There are 8 UN countries that are not in FIFA

FIFA has 208 member country associations

Can you name (without looking it up obviously) the 24 sovereign countries in FIFA that are not in the UN?
You may be suprised - I was!

Comments

• I would Imagine that technically, you could include England , scotland, N Ireland and wales in that group as they will members of FIFA, yet it will be the UK that is registered with the UN.
  • Hong Kong and Macau still play internationally, yet they are part of China. There must be some in the Pacific Ocean too like American Samoa, a team which Australia beat 31-0 fairly recently. I think Guam also plays independently. Tango is right about the four home nations. I recently read that Montserrat is another, I think - they played the first game of the WC 2014 qualification. Still a few to go though

• Ah - too easy, I see!
    Tango is spot on - The UK is a UN member but not a member of FIFA
    The four home nations are in FIFA

Hong Kong and Macau are also correct as are American Samoa, Guam, Montserrat and Faroes. Well done thai malaysian!

So thats 10 down already, 14 to go.
  • Now, for some guessing - Christmas Island, Virgin Isles, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, East Timor?

I'm wondering about the Caribbean - not my expert area, but I can't remember what goes on out there.

• Cook Islands is correct
  • Well, not such a good guess that time.....how about Bermuda, Seychelles and Turks & Caicos (I am pretty sure I have seen a result involving them)
  • Bermuda is good - and some neighbours would add more...
    Turks and Caicos is correct, Seychelles suprisingly not.
    You could expand your Virgins.....!

11 to go
  • North Korea don't seem to be in the UN.

UN lists Congo, whilst Fifa list Congo and Congo Democratic Republic, so Congo DR is one.
  • North Korea (DPR) has been in UN since 1991.

Both Congo and Congo DR are in FIFA
    Congo currently ranked 132 in world Congo DR outstripping them handsomely in 127th place.

11 still to go
  • Sponsored links:

• Bermuda is good - and some neighbours would add more...
    Turks and Caicos is correct, Seychelles suprisingly not.
    You could expand your Virgins.....!

11 to go

British and US Virgin Islands

Is Sudan 1 FIFA member but 2 at the UN since the break up?

Puerto Rico and St Kitts & Nevis are my Caribbean guesses

Chinese Taipei are a FIFA member but the UN recognises them as Taiwan or something along those lines?

• Oh and Palestine aren't in the UN i dont think
  • Two for your knowledge of Virgins

Sudan's elections a year ago werent recognised by FIFA(?) but they remain 98th in the world rankings this week.
    Zanzibar and South Sudan have applied for fast track FIFA recognition this month.

Chinese Taipai with the second highest building in the world and a ranking of just 169th earn you a third
    Puerto Rico gets you another.
    Palestine is a good call and your fifth, having recently risen 9 places to 157th in the rankings

The home of Joan Armatrading and the Vancouver Whitecaps player Atiba Harris and Nevis are in the UN and rank two places behind Thailand in the FIFA rankings.(122nd)
  • Guyana, French Guyana, Dutch Guyana ?
  • Guyana
    114th

French and Dutch Guiana appear in neither
  • So, what were the others then?
  • I think Puerto Rico is one - a territory of the USA.
  • Montserrat and the Cayman Islands?
  • Puerto Rico Cayman and Montserrat are all correct BFR.

List so far, 5 missing, but alphabetical clues may help...

American Samoa

Bermuda
    British Virgin Islands
    Cayman Islands
    Chinese Taipei
    Cook Islands

England
    Faroe Islands
    Guam

Hong Kong
    Macau
    Montserrat

Northern Ireland
    Palestine
    Puerto Rico
    Scotland

Turks and Caicos Islands
    U.S. Virgin Islands
  • So we are looking for a nation beginning with D then?

I can only think of Denmark and the Dominican Republic. Does Djibouti count?

Is Somalia a UN member?

• Sponsored links:

• 2x   A's       (Caribbean)
    1x   C...here is a clue....

1x N
    Here's another clue...

and finally
    1x   T
  • Two A's - then it has to be two out of Aruba, Anguila and Antigua.

Viv Richards once represented the latter in a WC qualifing match.

• Spot on - one of those three is a member of the UN.....
  • Two A's - then it has to be two out of Aruba, Anguila and Antigua.

Viv Richards once represented the latter in a WC qualifing match.

I'd assume Antigua is a member of the UN, therefore Aruba (great call BFR) and Anguila would be the two we are after
  • Well, how about the Netherlands Antilles - or is that called something else now?
  •  I think the T is Tahiti. They all look Samoan and Tahiti are in the Oceania Qual. Groups. By association I think the N is New Caledonia who are also in the group.

The C i dont have a clue. Cracatoa (sp)? Montserrat have one so maybe they do

• edited September 2011
    Splendid effort all round - would love to hang on to your collective tails in a quiz team!
    Aruba and Anguila are both correct. (once made a very scary emergency landing on Aruba, but thats for another thread!)

Nice one on the Tahiti front Urbs - they play in red - they qualified for the 1992 World Cup and were edged out by NZ  in 2002 despite winnig three qualifiers.

Really great call on the New Caledonia - they have a good womens team apparantly, and at least one of their fans would mix in well  after being asked to buy a round in the Liberal club

• One to go....here is clue 2
  • That's got to be Netherlands Antilles as I said a few posts back!! Or, I'm a Dutchman.
  • That's got to be Netherlands Antilles as I said a few posts back!! Or, I'm a Dutchman.
    Ah ha! Just what I hoped you would say Mr Van Thai.
    Perhaps you should go for a shmoke und a pancake. You know, a flapjack und a shigarette? No?
    Shigar und a waffle? No? Pipe und a crepe? No? Bong und a blintz? No?
    Well, then there ish no pleashing you.

;-)
    There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Sorry, you are almost right, but the Dutch Antilles were dissolved in 2010 and no longer exist.
    So its a bit of what used to be Dutch Antilles.