Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Defence

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
I know we are struggling creatively but hopefully that will come with Varney, ZZ and the Racoon yet to play.

Defence looks the most worrying area, Nicky Weaver is alright but maybe not good enough to be one of those keepers that wins you points on his own, the full backs were disappointing on Saturday and time and again our centre halves were beaten - Stoke could have been 3-0 up at half time with some very good chances squandered.

Comments

• Options
    Quite agree, Salad. I'd go further on Weaver and say he still looks like the kind of keeper that will cost us points rather than gain us points. A friend who nearly became a professional goalie told me that one of the first rules he was taught, was if you can get two hands on the ball, hold onto it! Unfortunately Weaver must have missed that part of the course...
  • Options
    I don't know what's so bad about Weaver. On Sat. he was accused of flapping at the ball, but I think it's important to remember that it was a very wet and slick day and that's why some of the balls that looked like catches were punched away. I think Weaver is solid, he made some great saves in the first fifteen; it's more the centre backs I'm worried about.
  • Options
    I'm not too worried about Weaver, but I am about the centre backs.
  • Options
    I can't help but think that both goals came from break aways with our defence left very exposed, yes Paddy could have done better for both goals but the first came when he had hardly jogged onto the pitch.
  • Options
    I agree conditions were difficult on Sat, LO, but from what I've seen of Weaver in the past, that's his style regardless of the weather. Centre backs are the major issue, but poor centre backs combined with slightly dodgy keeper hardly bears thinking about.
  • Options
    what about the fact that we are not creating any chances??

I'm not as worried about the defence as some others it seems but if we score a couple of goals in the first half then it will knock the confidence out of most teams in this league and we'll go on and win the majority of most games.

We're not doing that at the moment and the sides playing willl grow in confidence thinking they can get something, we become nervous, make mistakes and voila - saturday happens.

We need to score early and we havent scored a goal in the first half yet this season.
  • Options
    I have more faith that time will sort out the forward line - Varney coming back, finding the right combination(s), penny finally dropping for the wide players that getting crosses in when Iwelumo's on the pitch is a good idea, etc. Time's not going to heal the defensive issues.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]what about the fact that we are not creating any chances??

I'm not as worried about the defence as some others it seems but if we score a couple of goals in the first half then it will knock the confidence out of most teams in this league and we'll go on and win the majority of most games.

We're not doing that at the moment and the sides playing willl grow in confidence thinking they can get something, we become nervous, make mistakes and voila - saturday happens.

We need to score early and we havent scored a goal in the first half yet this season.

I agree although I think when the players gel we will start scoring on a more regular basis
  • Options
    We definitely need a new CB, i'd even consider Faye as opposed to McCarthy but i suspect it will be Boogy and Fortune with Sankofa at RB for the Wednesday game. Perhaps Semedo could move into the CB spot in the future as i thought he was a CB when we bought him.
  • Options
    I think we're all a bit premature in judging Weaver. He's 10 years experience, much of it as a regular in the Prem and, of course, a record number of England U-21 caps for a keeper at the time.

So no doubts he can play.

He is new to the team but once he beds in with a more or less settled back four, I think he'll develop the consistancy at Charlton that he generally showed at Man City
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah - can someone please tell Pards that Faye did a decent job on occasion at CB last year, as he may not know that. (And i'm not being sarcastic!)

Semedo looks a bit small/ lightweight for CB to me - is he any good in the air? Also thought he did his defensive CM job pretty well - no point leaving a gaping hole there instead.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]A friend who nearly became a professional goalie told me that one of the first rules he was taught, was if you can get two hands on the ball, hold onto it! Unfortunately Weaver must have missed that part of the course...

NEARLY became a pro LOL says it all really.
  • Options
    as the thread title is "defence" AFKA can;t have a go at me....

Ledge - do you defend Rob Styles after THAT penalty yesterday?
  • Options
    Oggy - I'm sorry, but I've never liked the look of Weaver. Remember the times we made him look stoopid when playing Man City? They weren't a team renowned for solid defence, either. But I won't boo him or anything silly like that, and I hope he does win us some points.
  • Options
    Weaver played a lot for Man City last season and didn't let in many goals, so I can't see that he is going to be a liability.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Oggy - I'm sorry, but I've never liked the look of Weaver. Remember the times we made him look stoopid when playing Man City? They weren't a team renowned for solid defence, either. But I won't boo him or anything silly like that, and I hope he does win us some points.

Fair enough, Weegie - opiinions are what the board is all about - but we need to give Weaver a number of games to settle in with a new defence that also needs to settle in.Once he gets to know how his defence react as individuals and as a unit, then we'll be in a position to judge. If he's a liability after a dozen games, okay. But in the meantime, we have to be fair to him amd give him a chance.

After all, he's not made any mistakes that have cost us a goal or the game.
  • Options
    Weegie,I think Pards is aware of Faye being a possible CB because he tried him in that position in the Bromley game.
  • Options
    Faye - why hasn't Dowie signed him for Coventry....?
  • Options
    That Sodje that we were linked with has held talks with Sheff Wed apparently.
  • Options
    Sod yer, then Sodje.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Sod yer, then Sodje.

: o )