Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Small turn out expected for Stockport

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
With The areas of The Valley open on the night will be the lower west, lower north, east and south stands, but the upper west and upper north stands, plus the north-east and north-west quadrants, will all be closed

Would it be worth opening the South either? dont expect them to bring many might as well give them a block or 2 in the east

Will save opening refreshment stands and stewards as keeping people apart in the East wont be a problem

Comments

• Options
    i expect both the Upper West and Upper North to be closed, yes.
  • Options
    er , that's what he said , it wasn't a question.

with you on that left behind , would make financial sense but maybe the whole thing is being done for an atmosphere improvement as much as it is for financial gains .
  • Options
    ha ha Buckshee thats what i thought

Thanks
  • Options
    i was just agreeing with him !
  • Options
    Actually, i think its a wasted opportunity.

Its a short notice game, which will attract a small crowd and virtually no travelling fans.

We would be much better trying to fill the ground with extremely cheap tickets, £5 adults, accompanied kids, and advertise fully. Surely it would be more beneficial to have 20k paying cheaper than 6k paying more ?

We have a lot more seats to fill this season, we need to get some floating fans into the habit of going the Valley again.
  • Options
    Good idea, AFKA. 20,000 cheap seats sold create better atmosphere and more revenue - more visits to the Valley shop, and more programmes, beer and burgers sold.

And create new fans, especially youngsters.

Also, people who turn up for a fiver and see a good game, may very well pay £20 to see the Sheff Wed match.
    Providing we do actually beat Stockport, of course.

;-)
  • Options
    thing is though we may find that stockport have been asked about that possibility and said no as happened with one of our cup matches a few years back as they are due their cut in the gate receipts
  • Options
    Okay, fair point buckshee.
    Then offer Stockport a share of the programme sales.....

;-)
  • Options
    Have the prices been set yet. As has been said it needs to be agreed between the two clubs but Charlton have, in recent years, gone for lower prices to attract a higher gate and so maximise income. Other clubs (Luton????) have disagreed.

Doubt we would sell 20k even with £5 tickets but anything in 5 figures would be good considering the crowds of 3 or 4k that you will see at other grounds.

Keeping the JIMMY SEED stand open for away fans may have much to do with segregation, access and not inconveienvcing home fans in either the west or east stand.
  • Options
    the game is in just 8 days time.

If it hasn't, it needs to be set now, advertised fully in this weeks locals, and a big thing made in saturdays programme and tannoy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if they think its not going to be worth opening up some of the stands for this game then they should have made it free to season ticket holders...that gives them at least 17k in the ground for starters...at that level, the game would have attracted a few more paying punters and a decent crowd for the match...whatever the expected cut to the opposition i currently expected, i suspect that could have been made up from the revenue streams from a 20k+ gate...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]the game is in just 8 days time.

If it hasn't, it needs to be set now, advertised fully in this weeks locals, and a big thing made in saturdays programme and tannoy.

True but the draw was on Thursday night meaning there has only been one working day so far for the two clubs to agree a price.
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]if they think its not going to be worth opening up some of the stands for this game then they should have made it free to season ticket holders...that gives them at least 17k in the ground for starters...at that level, the game would have attracted a few more paying punters and a decent crowd for the match...whatever the expected cut to the opposition i currently expected, i suspect that could have been made up from the revenue streams from a 20k+ gate...

I doubt if all 17,350 ST holders would turn up (history says that even at very low prices only a fraction attend) and would most likely pass them on to non-ST where possible so limiting the pay at the gate income.

You also have the issue of paying SCFC and the FL their percentage cut of the gate so a calcualtion would have to be made and then Stockport and the league paid on that basis so it could actually cost us to stage the game.
  • Options
    just seen that prices were annouced on Friday. £10 and £5.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]just seen that prices were annouced on Friday. £10 and £5.

Can't argue with those prices.
  • Options
    I'll have a £5 ticket, please. Do I have to shave first?