Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

defence v attack....main problem

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
I know most will not agree, but I feel our main problem is our strike force, NOT our defenders. Whatever you may say about the defence, they have only let in 3 goals - our combined midfield /forward line of Bent, Toddy, Iwelumo , Mcleod, Reid, Ambrose, Sam & Thomas have scored 2 between them.........NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

To get out of this league (and generally in any game) you need to score goals. Winning 1-0 may have been good enough for the ARSE a few years back, but not for most clubs. In any weekend most games finish with more than 1 goal being scored and so to win games you will have to score at least 2, maybe even 3 (you don't lose may games scoring 3 goals).

so, lets not blame Mccarthy,Fortune,Magic et al ..... but look further upfield for our problem. We just don't have the striker (s) capable of turing the opponanyts and getting a strike in. I though both Ambrose and Thomas did ok with their efforts and on another day may have scored.....but Bent and Ilwelumo ????

IMHO our best 2 strikers are Mclead & Dickson.....I havn't seen enough of Varney but as Dickson is on loan young Luke may have to carry our strike forse for a while. Mcleod has impressed me in the time he has had (15 mins v Scunny - 80 mins swindon & only 45 yesterday) and I feel he should be persisted with.

As I am writing this Wolves have gone 2-1 up v Sheff Wed......again showing you need to score more than once. If things stay as they are, we are in a 6 pointer next week and not to be bottom by 5 o'clock. it has now become a must win game. I bet if we score 2 we won't lose and 3 will give us a win........sounds bleeding obvious doesn'ytit.

Comments

• Options
    I'll have a pint of what ever you are drinking if you think McCleod is one of our best 2.He was embarrasing in the first half yesterday.
  • Options
    "6 pointer"? Ha ha ha.

You've been on a 6 pinter seshion this afternoon if you think that mate!
  • Options
    It is actually a very good point you have raised Golfie!! If we had scored 2 goals in each of our first 2 games, we would have 4 points now instead of 1. LOL.
  • Options
    And it's not if we haven't had the chances.......

We didn't put those chances away, but if we had done and we had won those 2 League matches, would the moaners still be moaning?
  • Options
    McLeod's ball control and distribution were not good.

Also, we've scored 4 this season (if you count Swindon - don't see why we shouldn't because if we'd have lost you'd have counted it).
  • Options
    ok jimmy, 4 in 3 games then.....doesn't make the stats that much beter does it ?

Also proves my point that in those 3 games, Reid has scored twice (don't count the deflection off Fortune - the shot was at goal & on target........esp if Leaburn counted the "effort" he has at Villa !)Ambrose and Bent once each.

1 goal from a recognised striker........that won't get us promoted.

Same old same old. Should never have sold Bent unless he was replaced by a top striker (who would have cost millions)......just have to hope that Mclead or Varney comes good otherwise mid-table mediocracy looms.
  • Options
    zzzzzz, come back in 10 games before we get the prozac out please?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]

Same old same old. Should never have sold Bent unless he was replaced by a top striker (who would have cost millions)......just have to hope that Mclead or Varney comes good otherwise mid-table mediocracy looms.

Don't think keeping Bent is realistic. I don't think you really think that anyway.

As for mid-table. Maybe. And why should we be expecting more? I think the negativity I've referred to basically stems from expectation. It's way too high. If we make a real promotion charge I expect it to be next season. I think the best we can hope for this season is a (late?) play -off push.
  • Options
    Golfie, who's your dealer again?
  • Options
    mock all you like, but deep down ask yourself this........

over the past 15 years who has ever scored more than 12 goals a season for us.

Answer : Super Clive, Hunt and Bent. 3 strikers out of ???? (probably 30 or 40). Bent was a saviour for us 2 seasons ago.......injured for some of last year and a fully fit Bent may have kept us up. We have sold him and replaced him with journeymen, have beens and hopefuls.

doesn't fill me with confidence.....does it you ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    David Whyte, Jason Euell, JJ, Carl Leaburn and Lee Bowyer come to mind, just to make the point, and I think a couple of midfielders got into double figures in promotion seasons.

So you were saying?
  • Options
    I'm not mocking you golfie.

I can see where you're coming from on a lot of points, except:

1. Dickson. Why you think he should be playing when we've never seen him in a 1st team competitive game is beyond me. Though I would like to see him get his chance.

2. 6 pointers - must win games - at this stage of the season - against relegation! A bit OTT don't you think?
  • Options
    Let's see what the next game brings against Sheff Wed.

The team is bound to be fine tuned. Expect ZZ and JT to start, Varney on the bench if fit enough.

Maybe even have a new mobile centre half to replace Diawara.
  • Options
    ok, so a few might have got 12, but to get promoted at least 1 needs to get 20 and another close to that (even pards admits to this !)

Don't think leaburn ever got close to 20, Davis Whyte got around 15 and i don't think that Euelly and JJ made much more than 12 - your being pedantic i know, but my point is that they may have done it one season, but certainly not 2 in a row, let alone over a 3, 4 or 5 year stretch, ala Shearer, Fowler, Cole, etc etc.

only 1 player since i've been supporting CAFc have we had such a player......Killer. Clive would have been close if it weren't for injuries and Hunt maybe would have done a few 15 - 20 a season. Darren Bent should have been the next, but another CAFC policy of selling your best player has left us back to where we were when I started going in the mid 70's - 2nd tier football.

Until we get a 20 goal a season player that is where we will stay.
  • Options
    I'm being pedantic? Nope you asked a question, I answered it, and proved you didn't really have a point.

Whyte got 21, Leaburn got 16 and 14.

If you really think we had any chance of keeping Darren Bent, then you're madder then I thought
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    Until we get a 20 goal a season player that is where we will stay.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - not that old chestnut again!!!

I've heard that sooo many times over the years you wouldn't believe it. And what happens when we get that 20 goal man, such as Mendonca, Hunt, Bent? That's right, people start moaning that we rely too much on one man and therefore we need to sign another - and round we go again.

Golfie, you say that we haven't had anyone score 12 or more and when someone proves that you're wrong you call them pedantic. Let's face it, you come across as a bit of a miserable sod who only seems to come on when we've lost, and although I am trying to give you the benefit - truly I am - it does become very tiresome sometimes.

Come on, post something upbeat/positive. It doesn't have to be about Charlton, anything that comes to mind. We're all on the same side here mate.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I'm being pedantic? Nope you asked a question, I answered it, and proved you didn't really have a point.

Whyte got 21, Leaburn got 16 and 14.

If you really think we had any chance of keeping Darren Bent, then you're madder then I thought

He's madder than I even thought and he's my brother !!
  • Options
    I hope he ain't heavy though Large.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    No, Large sounds like the heavy one.........(!)

;-)
  • Options
    100% right Off_it; golfie, you only post when we're losing...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    is there any chance varney will make the palace game?
  • Options
    He's back in training today, so could be on the bench Saturday, start against the Scum