Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why is the away support so bad

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
I can never figure it out, i mean i know my reasons for not going to as many as i have to work some saturdays and having 3 girls that compete in dance competitions on a regular basis i support them. CAnt see thousands of our fans having the same issues as me as many have lads who they take to games etc

Like a lot of people are saying new grounds cheaper prices and still a small turnout.

Its rough when you see our South Stand either full or close to full with fans from hundreds of miles away some in very poor areas of the country.

Comments

• Options
    Up north cheaper standard of living i.e council tax etc..
  • Options
    There is no logic to it.

Yesterday's ko time put me off but ive done 15 years of doing 15-20 away games a season, decided to cut down a bit this year.

Time for some of the younger lot to step up to the plate.

20,000 home fans evry game, we should be taking a minimum 1000 everywhere.

Still not convinced Palace will sell out as quickly as some people think.
  • Options
    one of lifes mysteries.
    i used to think it was the 'generation' of fans that we didn't recruit during our exile years, but then remember pre exile year away support was also poor.
    thinking back to home crowds then averaging 5,000 and now averaging in the 20,000's the away support just doesn't add up.
    surely the 'kid for a quid' generation must now be earning money. how long ago was that?
  • Options
    maybe we just aren't as big as we would like to believe.how many of the london derbies did we sell out last season?
  • Options
    Youve got to enjoy this away thing. Its always a different feeling arriving at an away match, not knowing where to go for a beer, the tension, the chance of aggravation. You do feel closer to the players though.

Biggest problem at the moment though is 33 away games 1 win. Who wants to see their side loose that often. More wins means more fans will travel.
  • Options
    I think it is a chicken and egg. I dont go because of cost but mainly because there will be so few there

we need an operation away support rather than operation 40000 (which was always dreamworld). look how many go for the free games.... i think it is not just the free travel but that the whole thing is organised and everyone know there will be a good atmosphere
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 12th Man[/cite]
    Biggest problem at the moment though is 33 away games 1 win. Who wants to see their side loose that often. More wins means more fans will travel.

Spot on 12th man.

I've done my time supporting Charlton away over the years, but I honestly can't remember the last time I saw us win away. Must be a couple of years at least.

I've gotten fed up with that deflated feeling you get on the train back having been beating again, there's no beer on the train and your wallet is about £150 lighter!
  • Options
    It's to do with our fan base (families) and ticket prices, if every away game was £20 including travel we would fill every weekend away allocation. Look at the attendance difference from when Palace charged us £20 to when it was £35.

I think it's something that will naturally improve with time and Palace away will sell out with no problems.