Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lots of new faces, but the problems remain the same..

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
trying hard to take some positives from yesterday, but why does Pards persist with 'luxury' player Ambrose - complete waste of space IMHO. We still haven't addressed our major failing - central midfield, I'm not sure Samedo is the answer either, pair Reid with someone and play two wingers Thomas and Sam/McLeod (could do a job).

Bent is also not the answer, why Pards thought we could do a whole half and score with two 'non goal scoring' strikers I really don't understand, but I rate Iwelumo much more as a target man than the aforementioned. I am pretty concerned right now, he doesn't seem to have got out of the poor selections/less positive selections that began once we clawed our way out of the danger zone towards the end of last season.

Any why change the central defence, when they were containing the threat well?

R

Comments

• Options
    Think we need a bit more energy in the middle so would expect Zheng to come in next week.

Gets about the pitch and can put his foot in.
  • Options
    Razil thats what i was saying to a mate last night about the title of the thread anyway

Like Ambrose dont think he is any worse then the rest
  • Options
    Agree with you on the striker front - is pards going to become the new Curbs with weird substitutions/formations etc ?

From what I have seen of our strikers (2 pre-season friendlies and 3 "proper" games) I would say that Mcleod and Dickson would score the most goals, Bent and Toddy will chip in around 10 this season and Ilwelumo is the new Leaburn (tries hard but never really going to be a treat in front of goal) - cant really speak about Varney as he hasn't really featured and hopefully he'll get us 15-20 goals this season, ut he is now being seen as our saviour up front and thats a lot of pressure to put on someone of his limited experience in this league.

IMHO we still need someone who can do whta their front 2 did - make something out of nothing with a turn and a shot. The only players to do that yesterday were Thomas & Ambrose and both were unlucky they didn't find the back of the net. Mcleod looked good on tuesday night as was puzzled why he was subbed instead of Bent - as you say, from then on we had no real hope of scoring.

only another 44 games to go
  • Options
    Agree that he shouldnt have changed the two centreback. But Paddy just didnt get a chance to settle in . He came from the Championship and looks like a Championship player, I think he needs time and the confidence of a few clean sheets which would change the whole feeling of fans and players.

I thought the system that Pards employed, keeping the ball on the floor, fast passing, one touch looked good when it came off but Im not convinced that our players have the skill level to play like this for 90 minutes. Hope ZZ has a big influense.