Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Richard Chin

I saw that he scored for Farnborough on Saturday.
That is four goals in nine appearances for him, so he seems to be doing very well at that level.
I also notice that Ricky Holmes is still having a go.

Comments

• I'm really surprised that no team higher than NLS was interested in him
  • I'm really surprised that no team higher than NLS was interested in him
    Agreed; however, the way Farnborough are going he could well be playing in a league higher next season.
  • Last week Farnborough played Aveley with former same Charlton age group players for over a decade, Chin on the one side and Harry Beadle on the other. Farnborough won the game 2-0.   

As a sidenote, I have mentioned previously that Chin was in the same school team as Euan Williams (ex CAFC Academy and now at Gillingham) and Lewis Bate (once signed for £1.5m by Leeds from Chelsea but who ended up on a free at Stockport). I hadn't realised until recently, however, that Samuel Edozie (once at Man City but currently on loan at Anderlecht from Southampton) was also in that same school year team. Little wonder with that midfield four of Chin, Bate, Williams and Edozie that Beths U14 ended up winning the English Schools Cup.  
    Even weirder when you consider that certainly until I left (when they would have all been u13 I think) Beths was very much a rugby school
  • fenaddick said:
    Last week Farnborough played Aveley with former same Charlton age group players for over a decade, Chin on the one side and Harry Beadle on the other. Farnborough won the game 2-0.   

As a sidenote, I have mentioned previously that Chin was in the same school team as Euan Williams (ex CAFC Academy and now at Gillingham) and Lewis Bate (once signed for £1.5m by Leeds from Chelsea but who ended up on a free at Stockport). I hadn't realised until recently, however, that Samuel Edozie (once at Man City but currently on loan at Anderlecht from Southampton) was also in that same school year team. Little wonder with that midfield four of Chin, Bate, Williams and Edozie that Beths U14 ended up winning the English Schools Cup.  
    Even weirder when you consider that certainly until I left (when they would have all been u13 I think) Beths was very much a rugby school
    Dartford Grammar is a rugby school, but that didn't stop Daniel Kanu coming through. 
  • fenaddick said:
    Last week Farnborough played Aveley with former same Charlton age group players for over a decade, Chin on the one side and Harry Beadle on the other. Farnborough won the game 2-0.   

Dartford Grammar is a rugby school, but that didn't stop Daniel Kanu coming through. 
    Oh totally, in this case though there were 4 players who ended up going pro. That's unusual anyway, but even more so in their case. Goes to show the strength of the academy system
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

Oh totally, in this case though there were 4 players who ended up going pro. That's unusual anyway, but even more so in their case. Goes to show the strength of the academy system
    4 is impressive. There are so many amateur clubs that young footballers can play for, that they don't rely on schools for their coaching. It's very different from other sports where unless you go to an expensive school or your parents can afford private tuition, you stand no chance.
  • fenaddick said:

The other local grammar schools also have a heavy rugby bias. In fact, at my old school, Chis & Sid, the very mention of football in my day would have got you a detention! Things haven't changed very much in recent years there given the numerous "discussions" I had with the school about my youngest not playing rugby for the school due to his outside commitments to other sports. Equally, they would have been forced to relent in the case of Billy and Zach Mitchell (my son was sandwiched in years between them).   

Richard Chin, when he was aged nine, had the choice of signing for us or Palace - both teams were in the Championship at the time but he lived ten minutes or so from Sparrows Lane (let's face it, there was no contest between the two). He also had an opportunity to go to Spurs a couple of years later but turned that down. As most people know, Charlton have a partnership with Harris Academy (Harry and James Beadle moved there from Hurstmere School) but his parents were keen that he stayed at Beths for his education. He also stayed on for the sixth form and did Economics, Chemistry and Maths and the school were very good to him in allowing him to only go to one Maths lesson a week and that was on a one-to-one basis so he could fit his football in.

Richard opted not to go to University but is very much into self-improvement including stoicism, yoga and meditation. He has also decided that he won't drink alcohol until his playing days are finished. He isn't unique in that respect from some other young people, especially those that are on a sporting pathway. For those reasons and with his positive focus I wouldn't be totally surprised if he didn't make his way back to the EFL. He's the sort of person who seems to know what he wants and how he is going to get there. Wish him every luck.    

Great insight. Great post.  Thanks and good luck Richard Chin.
  • Thought he was thrown in too quickly to the first team……good luck and hope he is back in the EFL soon
  • Sponsored links:

• Glad to hear things are looking up for Richard.
    He had very bad luck with injuries, but the consensus amongst regular U21 watchers was he is a good player with a good mentality.
    I think he will climb the leagues further because eventually experience will marry with his innate ability and his single mindedness.
  • I saw him play during Hornchurch vs Farnborough earlier in the season. He came on as a sub and seemed to play higher up the pitch than we saw at Charlton.

Did seem to struggle a bit with the physicality of the game.
  • edited October 15
    cafctom said:
    I saw him play during Hornchurch vs Farnborough earlier in the season. He came on as a sub and seemed to play higher up the pitch than we saw at Charlton.

Did seem to struggle a bit with the physicality of the game.
    I don't think we played him in his best position which wasn't at full back. As far as I'm aware, as that wasn't ever the position he really played in during his development. I think it was a case of needs much because, at the time he came into the first team, we were short of fit full backs.  
  • fenaddick said:

The other local grammar schools also have a heavy rugby bias. 

Not Wilmington Grammar. We never touched a rugby ball . We had football teams that always won cups and trophies across all years.
  • fenaddick said:

Not Wilmington Grammar. We never touched a rugby ball . We had football teams that always won cups and trophies across all years.
    I had a choice of two schools.  Wilmington and Dartford.

My only question was "how competitive is the football team"

When Dartford explained they don't play football at all I stopped listening and went to Wilmington.  
  • fenaddick said:

Used to be Dartford Technical School, so never had the anti-football history of Dartford Grammar!

Ben Thompson and Ben Sheaf  went to Wilmington.