Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dan Potts joins on short term contract

Charlton Athletic are pleased to confirm the signing of Dan Potts.

The experienced left-sided defender, who has tasted promotion from every EFL division, joins on a short-term deal until early January 2025.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/dan-potts-joins-addicks

Comments

• Hope he can stay fit, and potentially earn a longer contract with us... Gives us some much needed support in Defence!!

Wonder if we'll see him on the bench tomorrow.
  • Hope he can stay fit, and potentially earn a longer contract with us... Gives us some much needed support in Defence!!

Wonder if we'll see him on the bench tomorrow.
    Reckon he'll be on rhe bench next 2 games, play the Cambridge cup game then Jones will assess him vs Gillesphey for the starting spot.
  • How many ex Luton is that now?  Just Potts, Berry, Campbell?
  • How many ex Luton is that now?  Just Potts, Berry, Campbell?
    Lloyd Jones 
  • edited September 6
    Bit of a no brainer this one. Pretty much the only position we lack cover. 

Is he the son of Steve Potts?  West Ham full back when I was growing up. He looks like him. 
  • edited September 6
    Bit of a no brainer this one. Pretty much the only position we lack cover. 

Is he the son of Steve Potts?  West Ham full back when I was growing up. He looks like him. 
    He certainly is. 
  • Bit of a no brainer this one. Pretty much the only position we lack cover. 

Yes, he is Steve Potts son.
  • Can he play tomorrow?
  • Sponsored links:

• Bit of a no brainer this one. Pretty much the only position we lack cover. 

Yes, and his younger brother Freddie is on loan at Portsmouth from West Ham too - good player.
  • ButtleJR said:
    Can he play tomorrow?
    Guess it depends if he actually signed before the deadline (12noon?)
  • ButtleJR said:
    Can he play tomorrow?
    I fully expect that his registration was completed before midday. I believe he's been training with us throughout as well, maybe not at all times, but he's been around the first team quite a lot, so I imagine he's semi-match fit and has some tactical knowledge too
  • Surely they signed him before the noon deadline, they have had it sorted for a while now...be good to have him start tomorrow if possible...
  • Can't find any fault with this experienced player at this level in a position of need and knows NJ well. 

Hopefully was all sorted in time for him to be on the bench tomorrow at least if he's been training right through with us. 
  • Until Jan because we're not sure or he's not sure?
  • ButtleJR said:
    Can he play tomorrow?
    Only on the guitar 
  • As long as he ain't come here to go to potts...

Good luck sir!
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw the other day he had leukaemia as a teenager. Reminded me that Kermorgant had it too at a similar age.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/10093197.leukaemia-battle-is-my-spur-to-succeed-reveals-us-loanee-potts/
  • Surely they signed him before the noon deadline, they have had it sorted for a while now...be good to have him start tomorrow if possible...
    Yeah I'd be surprised if the Contract was signed today... Why announce it sooner and let Rotherham have longer to prepare for his possible involvement?
  • Hard to assess as his last game was May 2023. The contract type reminds me of the recent past! But he seems a "winner" and if he can stay injury free, the demands on his body should be lighter, playing in rotation. 
  • Good stuff. Experienced player at a good level. The only slight reservation I have is that we've heard that the two parties were a long way apart in terms of wages so this short term contract is likely a reflection of that. Makes me think that if Potts does very well he'll be looking for a better deal elsewhere, but if he helps us keep clean sheets every week until then I don't really care. At least now we can finally got to the bottom of how bloody tall he is.
  • Chunes said:
    Until Jan because we're not sure or he's not sure?
    I would guess he was hoping for a gig in the Championship and we are an opportunity to put him in the shop window.
    Maybe if we are good enough then maybe he will stay.
  • Chunes said:
    Am I right in thinking he didn't play at all last season? Maybe just being sensible on our part in case he breaks down. 
  • welcome Dan, make the most of this chance
  • Nathan Jones: "I'm getting the band back together".
    The Orange Brothers - Jones System Review. 
  • Chunes said:
    I think the club and player have been quite a long way apart on wages. Perhaps this is a solution where the clubs gives him an opportunity to ensure he stays fit and perhaps gets the chance to do better than us come January and in return the player takes wages that we can agree to.
  • Concerning that he didn't play at all last season, in terms of bargaining power with clubs, he would be in a much worse place than Berry who played and scored in the PL.