Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• What a player and what a good man
  • edited August 29
    Great interview with Colin, a true Charlton legend, who I was lucky to watch regularly in the days gone by. Good to see him again looking so well and to hear his stories about his times as a player.

Thanks Colin for the many happy memories you gave me in your playing days. Never forgotten.
  • What a great interview, and just about covered every aspect, I remember Peacock keepy uppy's and finishing with a shot into the net, but Powell was such an inspirational guy and Flash and Killer owe a great deal to him for the service and assists, even though he didn't get too many goals himself.
    So £80 a week before he left for the Teamen in the states, and £300 a week over there, all expenses paid must have seemed like a dream, but we did miss Powell and Flash during their time away.

A great listen with lots of memories...

• Still the best Charlton player to be plucked from non league football - imo.
  • Played against him in the Metropolitan Sunday League in Lee....he was in his 40's and still a very good player..... I played with Villacourt Rovers
  • Always willing to chat.  Legend.
  • Remember that league cup game at QPR standing in the old school end. Got a 1-1 draw that night we were in division 3 and QPR sitting near the top of division 1. Powell played a brilliant that night and scored. Out shown the entertainer that night Stan Bowles.
  • will always be one of my favourite players
  • Sponsored links:

• Lovely bloke, chatted to him for ages when he was hosting away at Fulham
  • Remember that league cup game at QPR standing in the old school end. Got a 1-1 draw that night we were in division 3 and QPR sitting near the top of division 1. Powell played a brilliant that night and scored. Out shown the entertainer that night Stan Bowles.
    One of the best away trips I have ever had. We really should have beaten them.
  • He was there when I first supported the club and hardly ever had a poor game. One memory was a home game against Mansfield and as he was doing his warm up exercises a fan shouted out, how many are we going to get today and he carried on stretching but showed three fingers and he was right.
  • Not listened yet but will do. What an absolute gent. Loved sitting in the west stand seats munching on my sandwiches in my lunch break watching Paddy drive his lawn mower up and down the pitch. 
  • Also saw him in the crown in chislehurst long after I’d left the club in on a Sunday and he offered to share his spare roast tatties at the bar as he remembered me and gave me a hug. 
  • He used to live in Blanmerle Road New Eltham a few doors down from me then. Always had time to say hello and chat, lovely guy.
  • Great player, real gentleman.
  • Lovely bloke, my dad knows him fairly well, always stops for a chat when we see him - he used to love a bet !!  
  • I also have great memories of Paddy in that Brighton 4-3 game. An evening match I seem to recall - under the floodlights - in the Covered End - great atmosphere.
  • Sponsored links:

• A good interview and one of my favourite players. Has his hair grown back or is it a hair transplant? Should teach the current crop how to take set pieces.
  • edited August 30
  • Met him at the Curbs dinner evening a few years back at The Valley - such a nice bloke - I know his son as well

I was a young lad - first game 1976 - so I remember watching him play - it was his little shuffle, then push the ball past the defender, and out run him - so smooth and effortless - and my word he knew how to put a cross in 

Great interview - Andy Nelson sounds like a bit of a git !!!

Totally agree with him regards Mike Bailey - we got the shit end of the stick getting Mullery 🙄
  • I never understood why he wasn't snapped up by a top club. He was consistently the best winger in the second division, only Alan Groves at Oldham came close. He had the beating of 90% of left backs, including England's Ian Gillard when we played QPR.
  • Told me to get off the lines on the pitch when helping to do the Tarp before the match.