Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Update on structure of the Board at Charlton

edited June 27 in General Charlton

Following the 2023/24 season, Charlton’s owners, Global Football Partners, conducted a thorough review of the club's management structure and have made a number of changes.

Charlton Athletic’s board for the 2024/25 season will consist of James Rodwell, Paul Elliott CBE MBE, Gavin Carter, Charlie Methven and Ed Warrick.

As Managing Director, Rodwell will oversee Charlton’s football operations at Sparrows Lane. He will also continue to chair the board.

Meanwhile, Elliott has been appointed Vice Chairman of the Board and continues to lead Charlton’s equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) initiatives. 

Methven has been appointed as Chief Executive Officer. In his role, he will be responsible for the off-pitch growth of the football club and will oversee the day-to-day running of the club at The Valley. Warrick continues as Chief Financial Officer while Carter continues as an independent Non-Executive Director. 

As part of the changes, Andy Scott will step away from board duties to focus on his role as Technical Director in charge of the club’s first-team football departments at the training ground, reporting to Rodwell.

Rodwell, Methven and Carter will speak at Thursday evening’s online fan meeting. To find out more about the fan meeting, please click here

Representatives from the club have been working with Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Trust (CAST) and other stakeholders over a period of time with a view to setting up a broader fan engagement strategy. The discussions have included the possibility of an advisory board being setup ahead of the coming season, with strong fan representation, respecting Charlton’s heritage as the original community club. This process has included looking at best practice at other clubs and taking advice and guidance from the Football Supporters’ Association with further updates to be shared in due course.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/update-structure-board

Comments

• Is the CEO a paid role I wonder?
  • Is the CEO a paid role I wonder?
    At most other clubs, yes. A question that can be asked this evening 
  • edited June 27

Our new walk on music to replace red red robin... Sandstorm (youtube.com)

And the new Standing section when Charlie boy turns it up to 11... 

Kids Raving GIF - Rave Dance Glowsticks - Discover  Share GIFs
  • CafcWest said:
    Methven as CEO...that's a bit of a surprise...!
    But we keep being told he has no day to day involvement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes, the only thing this highlights is that Andy Scott isn't fit for purpose and so they've taken him off the board and now they've come clean about the fact the real person fucking it up for the first three quarters of last season was Charlie Methven.

Somebody Netflix highlights well enough isn't fit for purpose either.

Nathan Jones has a lot of work to do this year - 3 jobs in fact !
  • As Managing Director, Rodwell will oversee Charlton’s football operations at Sparrows Lane. He will also continue to chair the board.

As part of the changes, Andy Scott will step away from board duties to focus on his role as Technical Director in charge of the club’s first-team football departments at the training ground, reporting to Rodwell.

Can a wage be saved here? Looks a bit similar in my opinion re the job description (Not the chair part) 
  • Was Simon Lenaghan ever a director or was his role something else? 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Was Simon Lenaghan ever a director or was his role something else? 
    https://www.charltonafc.com/staff

As of February 4th this year

GFP, which made the acquisition via its UK subsidiary SE7 Partners, is made up of seven shareholders with 5%+ each (detailed below). Those shareholders sit on GFP’s Board of Directors, along with Finance Director Ed Warrick and Sporting Director Simon Lenagan. GFP also has a small number of shareholders whose holdings are less than 5% each.
  • edited June 27
    Finally we get to change Red Red Robin for that fucking house music he loves….

Edit: Dammit, that’ll teach me to PWR
  • CAFCsayer said:
    I'm not going to be swayed by him looking like a wanker on Netflix. Clean slate, lets see how it goes. I like the manager appointment, I like the look of recruitment so far, and I like how we are quietly going about our business... let's judge in a years time

Agreed. Hopefully he's learned from that car crash.
  • Makes it easier to sack Scott 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    I'm not going to be swayed by him looking like a wanker on Netflix. Clean slate, lets see how it goes. I like the manager appointment, I like the look of recruitment so far, and I like how we are quietly going about our business... let's judge in a years time
    So you think he had absolutely no involvement or sway in what happened last year?.... remarkable....
  • Sponsored links:

• Makes it easier to sack Scott 
    Don’t be daft, who could keep rehashing the “Nathan had been after X for a while and we’ve seen he’s a great player than can really add something to the group, he bought into our vision and hopes to be here for a long time. We think the supporters will very much like what they see when X takes to the field” gumpf that he knocks out the park after every signing??
    You’ve not thought this through.
  • shirty5 said:
    Is the CEO a paid role I wonder?
    At most other clubs, yes. A question that can be asked this evening 
    Probably a six figure salary.
  • Excuse my ignorance but which limited company are we talking about as Charlton Athletic Football Company Limited only has two board directors registered at Companies House?
  • More happy with Scott's demotion than concerned about Methvens change of title. Still can't see anything that Methven has done wrong so far tbh

Also don't reckon any of this will make a blind bit of difference to anything at the business end of the Club ie - Jones and the first team.
  • supaclive said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    So you think he had absolutely no involvement or sway in what happened last year?.... remarkable....
    Of course I don't, but since then, it looks like we are moving in the right direction 
  • Personally couldn't care less who is in what role as long as we have a competent manager, the first team recruitment is good and the team do well.
    I think those two things probably go hand in hand .  Well run clubs tend to prosper . 
  • supaclive said:
    Yes, the only thing this highlights is that Andy Scott isn't fit for purpose and so they've taken him off the board and now they've come clean about the fact the real person fucking it up for the first three quarters of last season was Charlie Methven.

???

I have no strong feelings either way about Methven, but I don't see how the new title for Methven suggests the owners think he's failed, or was at fault for our dismal ONFIELD performance.
  • supaclive said:
    Yes, the only thing this highlights is that Andy Scott isn't fit for purpose and so they've taken him off the board and now they've come clean about the fact the real person fucking it up for the first three quarters of last season was Charlie Methven.

???

I have no strong feelings either way about Methven, but I don't see how the new title for Methven suggests the owners think he's failed, or was at fault for our dismal ONFIELD performance.
    I'm saying Methven was just as much to blame last year as anybody else.

Remember he said it's an easy division, you can save loads of money by being smarter etc etc

Then we stunk it up!

Methven was a major part of the problem last year.