Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Charlton have ‘built a team around’

On another current thread there was a post about building a team around Alfie May, to which I responded by saying that he wasn’t a player you build a team around (copied and posted below). That started me thinking about whether Charlton has ever had a player that we built a team around. Flash is the only player I think we probably did that with. We should have done it with Allan Simonsen but the gulf was too wide to bridge. Nobody else really comes to
mond. Can anyone think of a player Charlton ever built a team around ?

Post from the other thread:

Comments

• On another current thread there was a post about building a team around Alfie May, to which I responded by saying that he wasn’t a player you build a team around (copied and posted below). That started me thinking about whether Charlton has ever had a player that we built a team around. Flash is the only player I think we probably did that with. We should have done it with Allan Simonsen but the gulf was too wide to bridge. Nobody else really comes to

We cant, as we sell players like Parker, Bent and Hales as soon as they are worth anything.
  • Hal1x said:
    On another current thread there was a post about building a team around Alfie May, to which I responded by saying that he wasn’t a player you build a team around (copied and posted below). That started me thinking about whether Charlton has ever had a player that we built a team around. Flash is the only player I think we probably did that with. We should have done it with Allan Simonsen but the gulf was too wide to bridge. Nobody else really comes to

We cant, as we sell players like Parker, Bent and Hales as soon as they are worth anything.
    Didn’t want to sell Parker. Made sense to sell Bent when we were relegated. Hales is the only one of those three to whom your comment even faintly applies. 
  • I don't know that we built the team around him so much as he suited our way of playing very well, but it was very clear that our team was totally reliant on Scott Parker when he was there. We'd move the likes of Kish, Jensen and Konchesky into wide midfield positions in order to make sure we had Parker in the middle and wouldn't be overly exposed when he went box to box.
  • I kind of veer towards the idea of undroppable talisman rather than a player you build a team around.
  • Andy Reid in the Championship in 07/08, needed him to create anything and fell apart when left.
  • edited June 25
    Hal1x said:

Didn’t want to sell Parker. Made sense to sell Bent when we were relegated. Hales is the only one of those three to whom your comment even faintly applies. 
    Meouw! I didn't say we wanted to sell Parker, just thats what we did. After his profile attracted a club that turned his head. 
  • I don't really understand what it means to build a team around a player. 
  • Willie Duff - goalie extraordinaire 

• edited June 25
    The problem with building a team around one player is you’re in deep trouble when the player you built your team around gets injured for 6-8 months.

Even that player losing form for 2-3 months can be disastrous, as we saw when Alfie only scored one goal for two months and half months between December and February which entirely coincided with that ridiculous run without a win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Curbishley built our late 90's Championship/Premier League side around Mark Kinsella.
    What a joy to watch he was over several years too. 
  • Well funnily enough the team of 50 years ago was definitely built around a striker. Killer. Whether it was a ball over the top or one from wide into the box from Paddy or Peawee, our game was all about getting the ball to him in dangerous areas. Times have very much changed and I'm not sure that you could do that now if the same way as I'm not sure you can do so for Alfie. Play to his strengths when possible yes. Build a team around him no.   
  • Charlton Players Around  - Peter Garland.
  • shirty5 said:
    All successful teams have a decent spine not just building a team around one player

2019 - Bauer Cullen Bielik Taylor 

2012 - Hamer Morrison Cort Stephens Hollands Wright-Phillips Kermorgant

2000 - Kiely Rufus Kinsella Hunt 

1998 - Rufus Kinsella Mendonca 

1986 - Johns Thompson Pender Aizlewood Pearson
    Swap Cort for Taylor, he didn’t start regularly for us until we were in the Championship.
  • Charlton Players Around  - Peter Garland.
    It must have been a fucking big pitch
  • Kinsella.