Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car insurance

Any recommendations for a very low mileage Insurance, 2k on average. 
Many thanks

Comments

• T_C_E said:
    Any recommendations for a very low mileage Insurance, 2k on average. 
    Many thanks

I was with Direct Line but they took the piss with this year's renewal. I've got two cars (yes I know, two car wanker!) and one is a high performance vehicle which is on a 5k per year max - Admiral undercut both premiums by a huge amount.
  • edited June 25
    I'm also low mileage. This year i've gone with Bymiles and pay 6p per mile. A lump sum upfront based on 3,500 miles estimate for the year and a refund if i do less at the rate of 6p each mile not driven. Not all cars qualify. If "computer says no" on one comparison site try another- I had to try 3 times at one point to get the initial quote accepted.

I think there are other pay as you go companies. So far so good for me with Bymiles. A tracker goes in the diagnostics socket under the dashboard. Very simple.
  • I'm also low mileage. This year i've gone with Bymiles and pay 6p per mile. A lump sum upfront based on 3,500 miles estimate for the year and a refund if i do less at the rate of 6p each mile not driven. Not all cars qualify. If "computer says no" on one comparison site try another- I had to try 3 times at one point to get the initial quote accepted.

I think there are other pay as you go companies. So far so good for me with Bymiles. A tracker goes in the diagnostics socket under the dashboard. Very simple.
    That’s who I’m with, they’ve jumped to 13p a mile. 
    Along with £20 increase on the the premium, based on that last years one hit insurance would’ve been pretty similar. 
    I’ll do some comparison sites tomorrow when I’ve a month to go before it runs out. 
  • I'm with ByMiles too.  Quotes for my renewal for the year were in excess of £500, but with ByMiles, even at 17p/mile it's over £100 cheaper for the year. Fortunately only 2 miles to work each day so it doesn't add up to much, and some days the tracker doesn't track which is a small bonus. 
  • I'm loathe to praise anyone involved int he absolute racket of car insurance 

Got my renewal quote. £10 less than last year, lowest I've ever paid. 

To think when I was 18 I was paying more per year third party fire and theft only than I paid for the actual vehicle! 
  • edited June 25
    I use Elephant currently for a two-car multi-policy. (Elephant is part of the Admiral Group.)  They wanted 1.5k for renewal last year - a huge increase I thought. But NONE of the comparison sites were getting anywhere near that for just one of the cars. Eventually I got Elephant down to 1.1k and I was pretty happy with that. (I'm low mileage but don't like the idea of having my mileage tracked by an insurance company.)

One word of caution.   Mrs cafcfan was considering doing some charitable work.  But on checking with our then insurer driving to/from the charity would have been considered as commuting even though it was unpaid voluntary work and would have bumped the premium up significantly.  So she had no option but to decline helping the charity out. I know @T_C_E does stuff with his dogs so be mega careful when speaking with the insurer about whether or not you are just "Social Domestic and Pleasure" or SDP plus commuting.
  • Not used them but Cuvva offer short term car insurance, as little as for an hour (e.g. borrowing a mates car).

https://www.cuvva.com
  • On this topic is ‘protected no claims ’ worth paying for?

I do despite a firmer colleague who had worked at Direct Line telling me it really wasn’t an option that added much and was a sales thing only.  
  • cafcfan said:
    I use Elephant currently for a two-car multi-policy. (Elephant is part of the Admiral Group.)  They wanted 1.5k for renewal last year - a huge increase I thought. But NONE of the comparison sites were getting anywhere near that for just one of the cars. Eventually I got Elephant down to 1.1k and I was pretty happy with that. (I'm low mileage but don't like the idea of having my mileage tracked by an insurance company.)

One word of caution.   Mrs cafcfan was considering doing some charitable work.  But on checking with our then insurer driving to/from the charity would have been considered as commuting even though it was unpaid voluntary work and would have bumped the premium up significantly.  So she had no option but to decline helping the charity out. I know @T_C_E does stuff with his dogs so be mega careful when speaking with the insurer about whether or not you are just "Social Domestic and Pleasure" or SDC plus commuting.
    Yes, one company tried that one.
    Id filled in volunteer in one category and they questioned it. 
    I simply asked them if my dog was injured or stolen while in my car was it covered, obviously the answer was no.
    Im visiting friends when I visit The Valley with Tony Keohane the named friend 😂, likewise I’m exercising my dogs if I used my car in exceptional weather like today and who I chose to visit at school while I’m there is my business.
    Just got my car back from its mot, 820 miles I did last year it’s less than a mile to the school car park 😂
  • Admiral just tried to have me up the arse completely. Porsche Macan Turbo went from £980 a year to £2,100. No changes to the policy inputs / parameters.

Went onto Compare the Market and got £1,100 from Swift / Axa. Admiral would only go as low as £1,600.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 25
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance/

Follow the guidance above & get a quote 21-23 days before the renewal date as it's cheapest then.
    My renewal was/is August, I'm with One Call Insurance and pay 5.3p per mile plus I paid something like £160 up front.
  • Renewal wanted £757. Went on go compare .£357 with more on it £357 go skippy.
  • Try “Quote Me Happy”, underwritten by Aviva. Online only. 
  • That’s who I just just left who wanted to 757 pound fuck them