Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stonehenge Vandals, why?

Seriously, try to ruin a 5000 year old monument. Destruction/damage should have a custodial scentance IMHO.

Comments

• Lock 'em up and throw away the key, the stones are permanantly damaged with the paint seeping into porous stones and rare algae, total bellends the lot of 'em
  • Thing is the deterrent isn't strong enough, we do need to act but why attack artifacts or things adored by the masses?  All it does is make you hated, inconvenient law makers and attack the profits of energy companies, if you actually want change.
  • Gross stupidity
  • red10 said:

Seriously, try to ruin a 5000 year old monument. Destruction/damage should have a custodial scentance IMHO.

When you believe the end of the world is coming, more or less anything is justifiable. 

I think their heart is in the right place, and I feel like polite society feels like it is almost obliged to applaud them these days, otherwise you are some big oil apologist, but in reality these people should be standing as candidates in the election that's coming in a fortnight, not doing this. 

Like I said their heart is in the right place but that doesn't stop them being bellends sadly. 
  • Lock them up and make an example of them.
    A slap on the wrist does nothing to deter these idiots 
  • Spray paint 100 trees with oil.
  • They've achieved their aim by getting us talking and thinking about it.
    Something has got to be done about climate change and the conflicts that will come with it.
  • Huskaris said:
    Spray paint 100 trees with oil.
    Just spray paint their homes and cars orange.
  • It's the disused aircraft hangar and cat'o' nine tails for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Two activists  cut through the perimeter fence a Stansted Airport and sprayed an orange substence on two private planes. 
    That's the second reference you've made to be being whipped in a a disused building in the last month.
    Something about retiring to deepest Kent we should know about?
    😁
  • edited June 20
    While not in anyway condoning this gross vandalism - here in the stunningly beautiful Canadian Rockies we have an Australian mining company (Gina Reinhardt) about to be successful in their bid - against huge public opposition- to start dismantling one of our mountains to mine coal (yes coal!) that will be shipped to be burnt in China. They achieve this with close and inside political connections to the provincial government to the extent that our former Premier now works for their legal team.

Which act of destruction is worse?
  • Oakster2 said:
    While not in anyway condoning this gross vandalism - here in the stunningly beautiful Canadian Rockies we have an Australian mining company (Gina Reinhardt) about to be successful in their bid - against huge public opposition- to start dismantling one of our mountains to mine coal (yes coal!) that will be shipped to be burnt in China. They achieve this with close and inside political connections to the provincial government to the extent that our former Premier now works for their legal team.

The mountain destruction, but as someone who believes in the right to protest, the attack on Stonehemge is just dumb. It antagonises lots of would be sympathisers, and while it was mentioned above that it gets people talking, what it doesn't do is raise a lot of sympathy to the cause. I'll go along with @Huskaris on this - their hearts are in the right place but whoever is planning their antics needs to be shown the door.

However, @Oakster2 raises a valid point. The people who are damaging the environment (and the word wanton would fit nicely here) have a lot of money behind them so that buying politicians to allow their scheme's to plough ahead is a done deal. The environmentalists are having to out argue bent politicians and a lot of media espenditure so we end up with this sort of 'foot shooting' exercise as they try and grab some headlines.
    Thanks Ken - exactly my point & expressed in a much clearer way.
    That's the second reference you've made to be being whipped in a a disused building in the last month.
    😁

Apart from the abundance of disused aircraft hangars, no, nothing you need to know.
    😁

Apart from the abundance of disused aircraft hangars, no, nothing you need to know.
    Ah, on a need to know invite only basis 🤪
  • Pricks.
  • edited June 20
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 21
    red10 said:

Well, they haven't ruined it, they sprayed it with orange cornflour and it's now been cleaned off.

You posting this thread is feeding them. If there was a news blackout for Just Stop Oil, then they'd soon stop acting like children.
  • "The stones are covered in more than fifty different lichens, some of them rare".

And one of the first species to go extinct as temperatures rise, as was discussed on LBC last night. This was a near perfect protest in hindsight. No one harmed or obstructed and perfectly timed.

• Bastards.
    The planet is worth saving because there are places like Stonehenge on it.
  • As someone said on the radio today

Cut off all the power to their homes and take away their cars. Hypocritical of them to think otherwise. Same to anyone who supports them. 
  • "The stones are covered in more than fifty different lichens, some of them rare".

And one of the first species to go extinct as temperatures rise, as was discussed on LBC last night. This was a near perfect protest in hindsight. No one harmed or obstructed and perfectly timed.

What?

so vandalism is okay then because no one was harmed….ffs
  • Oakster2 said:

The mountain destruction, but as someone who believes in the right to protest, the attack on Stonehemge is just dumb. It antagonises lots of would be sympathisers, and while it was mentioned above that it gets people talking, what it doesn't do is raise a lot of sympathy to the cause. I'll go along with @Huskaris on this - their hearts are in the right place but whoever is planning their antics needs to be shown the door.

However, @Oakster2 raises a valid point. The people who are damaging the environment (and the word wanton would fit nicely here) have a lot of money behind them so that buying politicians to allow their scheme's to plough ahead is a done deal. The environmentalists are having to out argue bent politicians and a lot of media espenditure so we end up with this sort of 'foot shooting' exercise as they try and grab some headlines.
    Good analysis.
  • Absolute dickheads. 
  • It’s been said that it was orange coloured flour used for their protest which will easily wash off through rain and cause no damage to the stones (it was not paint). Bonus could be an orange sponge cake resulting from a protest against oil. Just need to all have a nice cup of tea and relax. 
  • Lock them up and make an example of them.
    A slap on the wrist does nothing to deter these idiots 
    Some of their activists accept they might be though. They do have other members who won't do things that might result in prison sentences, but I agree that if they do the crime , they should serve the appropriate time, whatever that is.

Prison sentences resulted for the protesters who got the QEII Bridge closed with their antics I believe and I know others have too. Locking them up won't deter the radicals amongst them.

I've posted elsewhere that I don't condone their tactics to sound the alarm on climate, but we ought to be focused more on solving the emergency that's prompting them to keep sounding it, however foolishly.