Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie Doughty

edited May 29 in General Charlton
Looks like he will be staying in Premier League with interest from Brentford. Info from Richard Cawley

Comments

• edited May 29
    I always liked Alfie, and wish him all the best in his career, wherever that is...👍
  • edited May 29

• !!!!!!! 

• Uboat said:

!!!!!!! 

Someone wake me up……I think I must be dreaming.🛌 
  • Really surprised he has gone on to as well as he has... never particularly rated him when he was here.
  • Shame he supports the knuckleheads at the Den 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Really surprised he has gone on to as well as he has... never particularly rated him when he was here.
    Me neither but no denying he's had a great few years since leaving us. Crazy to think he only got his breakthrough at Charlton due to the injury crisis in 2019. I thought it was a mistake when he left us, for him rather than us!
  • he'd be a bargain at that price I reckon
  • Sponsored links:

• He'd be a good signing for Utd at that price. He's incredibly quick and good at crossing and that's something that Utd really lack when it comes to supplying Hojlund. It depends who they get in as manager though. Doughty's a very good wing back but his game is very much focused on getting forward and playing an attacking game, I'm not sure how useful he'd be as a LB. He would have been badly exposed in ten Hag's system this season for instance with next to no cover from Rashford and other players out at LW. I'd sooner see him as a winger than a LB to be honest, but £15m for a player who is apparently under consideration for a future England squad is a very good deal regardless.
  • He'd be a good signing for Utd at that price. He's incredibly quick and good at crossing and that's something that Utd really lack when it comes to supplying Hojlund. It depends who they get in as manager though. Doughty's a very good wing back but his game is very much focused on getting forward and playing an attacking game, I'm not sure how useful he'd be as a LB. He would have been badly exposed in ten Hag's system this season for instance with next to no cover from Rashford and other players out at LW. I'd sooner see him as a winger than a LB to be honest, but £15m for a player who is apparently under consideration for a future England squad is a very good deal regardless.
    Agree but he has actually filled in at LCB in a back 3 at points this year during Lutons injury crisis!
    Agree but he has actually filled in at LCB in a back 3 at points this year during Lutons injury crisis!
    Has he? When was that? To be honest I'd rather him as a centre back in a three than a left back still. The third centre back being smaller but having great recovery pace is how England often uses Kyle Walker and he's more protected from being physically bullied by having two CBs alongside him. It's when he's exposed to one on one encounters defensively that I'd worry.
  • edited May 30
    I can't see Doughty at Man Utd other than as a stop gap. He's done really well to get to the Prem but don't think he has the technical ability to play for the 'top teams' (not that Man Utd are at the moment).
  • Hard disagree from me, its his footballing intelligence that sets him apart, his pace will always ensure he has value however its his football brain that will ensure he has a decent career injuries excepted 
  • edited May 30
    Have Charlton got a sell on clause , still in place, if he does get a transfer away to another club?
  • Have Charlton got a sell on clause , still in place, if he does get a transfer away to another club?
    If there was then this would've been activated when he left Stoke for Luton, not now.
  • Always rated him, although honestly didn't see him becoming a £15-20m player.
  • Have Charlton got a sell on clause , still in place, if he does get a transfer away to another club?
    If there was then this would've been activated when he left Stoke for Luton, not now.
    Probably yeah, but it depends what was written into the contract.
  • Sometimes there's a follow on clause, so Stoke may have put a sell on clause in the contract when he signed at Luton, and therefore if they get let's say 20m and Stoke had a 20% clause, Stoke get 4m. However if our clause was a 25% sell on fee, that's still active on future monies, so we would then get 25% of the 4m, so 1m. 
  • Sponsored links:

• He had blistering pace but his thinking was shocking.
    I always remember watching Bowyer once get seriously agitated with him once after he skinned the full back, got to the byline and then spanked it straight out of play instead of supplying a measured cross.  Bowyer was jumping up and down and screaming "fucking slow down".  Everything was at 100mph with him and that was the frustration.
    He clearly had talent but needed to work on his delivery - now it seems he's got that bit nailed.

£15-20m is probably a bit high but he's definitely worth another shot in the top flight
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Really surprised he has gone on to as well as he has... never particularly rated him when he was here.
    Me neither but no denying he's had a great few years since leaving us. Crazy to think he only got his breakthrough at Charlton due to the injury crisis in 2019. I thought it was a mistake when he left us, for him rather than us!
    He really struggled when he joined Stoke, looking a bit podgy dare I say. They were happy to sell him to Luton, I imagine the fee can't have been very high.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    He really struggled when he joined Stoke, looking a bit podgy dare I say. They were happy to sell him to Luton, I imagine the fee can't have been very high.
    He had that serious hamstring injury when he joined Stoke from us. I wondered, given his dependence on his pace, whether he would be able to come back properly from that.
  • LenGlover said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    He had that serious hamstring injury when he joined Stoke from us. I wondered, given his dependence on his pace, whether he would be able to come back properly from that.

Certainly gives hope Leaburn can come back from his one stronger and unaffected in the longer term.
  • LenGlover said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Certainly gives hope Leaburn can come back from his one stronger and unaffected in the longer term.
    I’ve not liked to air my views regarding Leaburn until now but I have real doubts that he will be the player he was.
    Of course I hope I’m proven wrong but the amount of time he has been sidelined already is long enough, let alone the suggestion that he won’t be available until October is more than a little concerning. 🙁
    Have we ever been informed of his exact diagnosis, not that I’m aware of?
  • He's a good crosser yes, but hardly the best left back defensively. After all he was a winger beforehand.
    I think his defending is woeful because he defends at the same pace he attacks. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Sometimes there's a follow on clause, so Stoke may have put a sell on clause in the contract when he signed at Luton, and therefore if they get let's say 20m and Stoke had a 20% clause, Stoke get 4m. However if our clause was a 25% sell on fee, that's still active on future monies, so we would then get 25% of the 4m, so 1m. 
    I've genuinely never heard of a 'follow on' clause. Can you name any examples?

I've only ever heard of a sell on clause which (if we had one) would've been sorted when Stoke sold him to Luton.

If Luton sell him to Man u, why would they have to give us a % when we don't have any agreement with Luton over him?
  • sam3110 said:
    Sometimes there's a follow on clause, so Stoke may have put a sell on clause in the contract when he signed at Luton, and therefore if they get let's say 20m and Stoke had a 20% clause, Stoke get 4m. However if our clause was a 25% sell on fee, that's still active on future monies, so we would then get 25% of the 4m, so 1m. 

I've only ever heard of a sell on clause which (if we had one) would've been sorted when Stoke sold him to Luton.

If Luton sell him to Man u, why would they have to give us a % when we don't have any agreement with Luton over him?
    I think it’s more like residuals… the money (if at all) would come from Stoke’s share… in the example of 20m, Luton pay 4m to Stoke and then we get 1m as a percentage of that 4m from Stoke, rather than Luton having to pay any directly to Charlton.

- Luton 16m, Stoke 3m, Charlton 1m
    vs
    - Luton 15m, Stoke 4m, Charlton 1m
  • sam3110 said:

I’m with Chris here, surely the sell on clause dies after the first move. In this example we sold Doughty to Stoke then got a sell on fee when he signed for Luton. Then the sell on died.