Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is something that feels British, but isn't?

Comments

• Modern Triumph motorcycles 
  • Fish and Chips
  • Garden roses. 
    Cadburys
    HP sauce 
    Premier League Football 
  • Branston Pickle (owned by a Japanese vinegar maker called Mizkan which also owns Sarson's Vinegar and Hayward's Pickled Onions.)
  • PopIcon said:
    Polo, the sport, not the mint.
    Or the clothing!
  • Ireland
  • Caring for the poor. 
  • seth plum said:
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:
    The language we speak.
    The language we speak is the single most British thing there is
    I'll have a think about that when I slip into my new pyjamas delivered by a juggernaut. That will have to wait until after I've been to the ballet, and then the karaoke club set up by a local entrepreneur on his patio, where you can get served burgers with ketchup by his heavily tattooed wife.
    All languages evolve. 
    Even the Frenchies have got L’internet. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Woolworths
    Ford
    Monopoly
  • Fish and chips: apparently Portuguese origins (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips)
  • Hoover
  • Fish and Chips
    Jewish and Portuguese. 
  • Fish and Chips
    Jewish and Portuguese. 
    Or Italian immigrants in Glasgow, doubt we'll ever know for sure. Whoever it was, many thanks.
  • Stuart Leary
  • Jaguar
  • Stuart Leary

In a similar vein this fella -

• Freddie Mercury.
  • Cliff Richard
  • Sponsored links:

• Our water and railways 
  • edited May 27
    Our water and railways 
    and most of our industry .. (e.g.) Mcvities, makers of quintessential British biscuits, now owned by a Turkish  company, UK lottery and (possibly very soon) Royal Mail owned by Czechs (hope they don't bounce)
    Pilkington Glass, now Japanese owned, Rolls Royce, MG and Bentley cars .. the list is endless ..........

Britain has been dependant on 'services' for decades and 'service' basically means money men (aka hedge funds, usually American, but some British or European) buying up viable, well known and respected but all too often not particularly well managed or financed British companies, and then  flogging them off to any and everybody (usually foreigners) who can come up with the necessary moolah
    British companies own a lot of foreign assets but no tax revenues from their profits (and they employ few if any British workers) are paid to HMRC as they are not 'British based', similar to what Amazon and Co do in the UK

Fings can only get better .. fingers crossed

EDIT .. sorry to be so long winded lol
  • Falklands
    Gibraltar
  • The Black Death 
  • British Airways are registered in Spain
  • Charlton Athletic. 

Owned by American hedge funds.
  • edited May 27
    Off_it said:
    Racists
    America has cornered that market but we aren’t far behind . 
  • edited May 27
    Michael Ashworth. Anthony Bamford. Viscount Rothermere. Akshata Murty. Boris Johnson. Lord Evgeny Lebedev. The Barclay twins.
  • Democracy