Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Morgan Spurlock

One of my favourite documentary makers, loved Super Size Me. Died today aged 53. No age at all.

Comments

• Options
    RIP . Loved Super Size Me and he was an extremely fit man when he made that film twenty years ago . Sadly alcohol got the better of him in the last few years. 
  • Options
    A terrible shame, rest in peace 
  • Options
    edited May 25
    Supersize me was manipulated and inaccurate.
    An alcoholic at the time of the film.
    A self confessed sexual predator (rapist?)
  • Options
    edited May 25
  • Options
    Yeah for those who haven't come across all this stuff, Spurlock admitted that he was suffering from alcoholism during the making of Super Size Me, and given how much of the film is based on his physical condition, it's somewhat disingenuous for the film to portray the negative effects of fast food in the way that it did. 

That said, the film did create a big shift in the way we all see fast food. McDs was forced to react and while they are still selling fried food packaged in Happy Meals to kids, that they changed the menus and started serving up stuff like fresh fruit was down to Spurlock's efforts. Whatever the nature of his work, there was truth in there and he did create positive change. Perhaps not enough change, but better than nothing! 

As for the rape stuff - apparently voluntarily, he admitted a series of sexual indiscretions and at least two counts of assault, including an accusation of rape that he didn't deny. And that torpedoed his career, which was mostly made up of hired-gun gigs like One Direction: This Is US and thing for The Simpsons. So he never did hit the heights of SSM again, but on the bright side, his doc, Where in the World Is Osama Bin Laden, was apparently found in Bin Laden's compound after the raid!