Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Billy Bonds 1967

If this has been on here before I apologise.

I was sent this contract yesterday, a reminder of the old days. 

We never did collect the £2500!

Comments

• It's pretty outrageous that Billy never did get that England Cap. West Ham should have paid us that £2,500 anyway (adjusted for inflation of course) given the service he gave them which hasn't been matched by anyone. 
  • Blucher said:
    Not our most astute bit of business but I suppose it looked a decent price for a fine young right back in 1967. Gliksten’s approach was to sell the best player every year to try and balance the books.

A nice simple contract, with no bungs for agents. 

A curious reference, though, towards the top left hand corner:

”COLOURS: RED SHIRTS, WHITE KNICKERS”
    Go back far enough and you'll find a programme that not only refers to Shorts as Knickers, but alsoi refers to the Socks as Stockings.
    I remember as a nipper finding it very funny. Seems bizarre now
  • Blucher said:
    Not our most astute bit of business but I suppose it looked a decent price for a fine young right back in 1967. Gliksten’s approach was to sell the best player every year to try and balance the books.

Go back far enough and you'll find a programme that not only refers to Shorts as Knickers, but alsoi refers to the Socks as Stockings.
    Suitably kinky for the Swinging Sixties (although I'm not sure it ever reached SE7)
  • The contract mentions Charlton station.

#propercharlton
  • ross1 said:
    Played with him, sometimes at RB, at a Sunday team, before both moving to Charlton. I played at RB when he was not available, shame he was better than me 😫
    Sounds like you’re being modest. I’m surprised Bonds wasn’t moved to right half when you were available.
  • Blucher said:
    Blucher said:

Suitably kinky for the Swinging Sixties (although I'm not sure it ever reached SE7)
    They certainly did, in about 1983

• ross1 said:
    Played with him, sometimes at RB, at a Sunday team, before both moving to Charlton. I played at RB when he was not available, shame he was better than me 😫
    Sounds like you’re being modest. I’m surprised Bonds wasn’t moved to right half when you were available.
    I wished ha ha ha 🤣
  • edited May 16
    Why is there a stamp on the letter @ signature?
  • Sponsored links:

• Hal1x said:

It made it a legally binding sale.   If you sold a car or motorbike or any most expensive items in those days privately you signed over a stamp. 
  • Hal1x said:

It made it a legally binding sale.   If you sold a car or motorbike or any most expensive items in those days privately you signed over a stamp. 
    West Ham were too tight to pay a proper fee for Billy and buy a stamp.
  • Hal1x said:

West Ham were too tight to pay a proper fee for Billy and buy a stamp.
    Trouble was Gliksten sold too many class players from our academy on the cheap. I remember there was an entire team of Charlton players moved on, playing in the first division whilst Bonds was at WHU, whilst we were struggling to stay up in the 2nd division.    
  • I first saw Charlton in 1963 and remember Bonds, Bailey, Hinton, Kenning and the great Glover all being sold in the next few years. Alan Campbell followed a little later and doubtless I've forgotten some.
  • ross1 said:
    Was that Moatbridge?
  • cblock said:
    ross1 said:
    Was that Moatbridge?
    Yes
  • I would often see him walking through Bromley, the last time I saw him was around 18 months ago.
    He's kept himself in fantastic shape and I reckon he could still turn out for a game now.
  • Often seen running around Chislehurst/Bickley/elmstead woods ..still as fit as a fiddle 
  • lolwray said:
    Often seen running around Chislehurst/Bickley/elmstead woods ..still as fit as a fiddle 

Just gone on Wiki, he's 78, incredible.
  • We didn't have an Academy in those days. Most of the players mentioned came from the youth team. Mike Bailey and several others started as groundstaff boys. 
    Alan Campbell was moved on after appearing at Woolwich court for being drunk and disorderly where he gave his occupation as labourer.
    Someone grassed him up to the club

• Sponsored links:

• We didn't have an Academy in those days. Most of the players mentioned came from the youth team. Mike Bailey and several others started as groundstaff boys. 
    Alan Campbell was moved on after appearing at Woolwich court for being drunk and disorderly where he gave his occupation as labourer.

Alan Campbell and Graham Moore used to regularly drink in the Conservative Club in Charlton Church Lane.
  • Blucher said:
    Gliksten’s approach was to sell the best player every year to try and balance the books.
    Im glad weve moved away from that approach.
  • In the 60's, the youth team came into training twice a week in the evening, in the hut in the now car park. Players who was still at school obviously had games and training at school, I left school at 15 so was behind on training compared to others.
     No different age groups as now. 
    I wish I was just starting out now, but good luck to all the young players
  • LenGlover said:
    I first saw Charlton in 1963 and remember Bonds, Bailey, Hinton, Kenning and the great Glover all being sold in the next few years. Alan Campbell followed a little later and doubtless I've forgotten some.
    Think you’ve listed them all, Dennis (daisy) Edward’s  was sold around then but was not in the class of the others - imo.
    Bailey, Bonds and Hinton - what a fabulous trio they were.
    Billy Bonds brother Micky worked in the same shop in Middle Park as my mother.
  • I hope modern contracts still use the word "forthwith." 

I'm sure that the 70k offered by Birmingham helped with the deal to move him on.
  • I would often see him walking through Bromley, the last time I saw him was around 18 months ago.
    He's kept himself in fantastic shape and I reckon he could still turn out for a game now.
    Seen in Pettswood as recently as a month ago. A West Ham friend "bonded" (ha!) with him over his dog
    Seen in Pettswood as recently as a month ago. A West Ham friend "bonded" (ha!) with him over his dog
    It was the friends dog sorry got that the wrong way round
  • Blucher said:

Football shorts were called knickers before they were called shorts. I guess as they were originally long, like knickerbockers. 
  • LenGlover said:
    I first saw Charlton in 1963 and remember Bonds, Bailey, Hinton, Kenning and the great Glover all being sold in the next few years. Alan Campbell followed a little later and doubtless I've forgotten some.
    John Sewell - to Palace