Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The best Wembley final ever

https://apple.news/AzItbZyvOR967jKfCNdl

Thought this was interesting, think the first and second are the wrong way round, but can understand why. 

Comments

• Apologies for the place the link where it enters, can’t understand why there of all places, but there’s actually 32 finals listed.
  • Clickbait
  • Number 8. I was there. Though he mentions Dibble's great performance in goal, I am surprised he left out that he saved an Arsenal penalty that would have put the Gunners 3-1 up and almost certainly out of sight for Luton. As well as that game, I was at our first play-off final and the Germany v Czech Rep final in '96.    
  • 2. Charlton Athletic 4-4 Sunderland – after extra time, 7-6 on penalties (1998 First Division play-off final)

Charlton earned promotion to the top flight for the first time in 41 years by winning a truly bonkers First Division play-off final against Sunderland.

-------------

41 years?! Did I imagine the late '80s and the four years in the top flight? Has Lennie been airbrushed out of history as a modern-day miracle worker? Or don't those years count because they were at Sellout Park?
  • I'll grudgingly let them have 1966 in front of us in 1998, I didn't check the whole list but I assume the 1947 Cup Final isn't there. A lot of old timers told me that was a stinker of a game, not that it mattered one jot of course.
  • Number 8. I was there. Though he mentions Dibble's great performance in goal, I am surprised he left out that he saved an Arsenal penalty that would have put the Gunners 3-1 up and almost certainly out of sight for Luton. As well as that game, I was at our first play-off final and the Germany v Czech Rep final in '96.    
    Ouch. That '96 match was never going to make the list. I nearly went, but the tickets were £60. I didn't know the price, but was ringing up on behalf of mates. We'd agreed a £50 maximum before I phoned. When I was told the cheapest seats were £60 each I politely declined. That night I was really regretting it, thinking how stupid to miss such a major match for the sake of a tenner. I didn't regret it for long though and was quite pleased it turned out to be so boring. Sorry.
  • This is bollocks. How the Imps 1-0 EFL Trophy victory over Shrewsbury in 2018 didn’t make the shortlist, I’ll never know. Defo click bait.
  • Being from Leicester and with the amount of play off games in this list Im surprised the 92-93 First Div final isn't in this list: Swindon 4-3 Leicester. My dad was gutted after that one. 
  • edited May 15
    Stig said:
    Number 8. I was there. Though he mentions Dibble's great performance in goal, I am surprised he left out that he saved an Arsenal penalty that would have put the Gunners 3-1 up and almost certainly out of sight for Luton. As well as that game, I was at our first play-off final and the Germany v Czech Rep final in '96.    
    Ouch. That '96 match was never going to make the list. I nearly went, but the tickets were £60. I didn't know the price, but was ringing up on behalf of mates. We'd agreed a £50 maximum before I phoned. When I was told the cheapest seats were £60 each I politely declined. That night I was really regretting it, thinking how stupid to miss such a major match for the sake of a tenner. I didn't regret it for long though and was quite pleased it turned out to be so boring. Sorry.
    My missus had bought us block tickets for all the England group games plus quarter and semi final for my 30th birthday present, but there was only one final ticket in the package. I did offer it to my mate, whose parents were German but he turned it down, so I went along. I'm sure the only reason it's on the list is because of the golden goal. It was only time I clapped eyes on the Queen in the flesh, so that was something I suppose, even though I am not particularly a royalist...          
  • Sponsored links:

• One of the best finals I saw at Wembley was Blackpool's Championship playoff victory against Cardiff in 2010.