Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Derek Forster, Addick number 382

Saw a link to this elsewhere and don't think I've seen it here yet. Apologies if I'm repeating something I missed. Played a few games for us in 1973, long before my time, after a long career as Sunderland's second choice keeper.
https://safc.com/news/club-news/2024/may/obituary-derek-forster

Comments

• Rip

I think he was in goal for one of my first games 

Iirc he was quite small for a keeper and was once regarded as an outstanding prospect.
  • I think he played nine consecutive games early in the season we got promoted (1974/5)? Maybe after Tutt got injured, and then Wood came into the side and stayed there.  I may have my years wrong, but he was an OK keeper until I think he let a cross go in versus Plymouth, which led to him being dropped.  RIP Derek.
  • edited May 9
    Pedro45 said:
    I think he played nine consecutive games early in the season we got promoted (1974/5)? Maybe after Tutt got injured, and then Wood came into the side and stayed there.  I may have my years wrong, but he was an OK keeper until I think he let a cross go in versus Plymouth, which led to him being dropped.  RIP Derek.
    His Sunderland obituary says nine games in total for CAFC before he moved to Brighton.
  • RIP

Thanks for the heads up. Now tweeted on the museum twitter account.

Played 9 league and two league cup games.

• edited May 9
    Remember him well because my Dad and I made a rare trip to Sparrows Lane, or perhaps it was at the Valley, around the time he was with us and he was one of the players we spoke to.
    RIP Derek 
  • Remember the name ,remember the player and club he came from. Football in 1973 was nothing like today thank goodness.

Derek     RIP.
  • RIP Derek 
  • Remember him and surprised doing so given he played so few games for us.

RIP Derek
  • He was famous for making his first team debut for Sunderland at a very young age. Following is from the Sunderland Echo: 

"Derek is best remembered among the club's supporters as its youngest ever player. On August 22, 1964 he played at Roker Park in the season's opening fixture against Leicester City aged just 15 years and 185 days. The record still stands."

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP
  • I think he might have been one of the photographs on the front of the club programme for the 1973 season - there was a goalkeeper there and the football was yellow / orange.
  • RIP Derek

I was 12 going on 13 when he joined us, and the memories of those early days are so much stronger than even last season (and 73/74 and 22/23 were equally poor!). I was at all four of his home games at the start of that season -started with a 4-2 home defeat to York, then a clean sheet in a 2-0 win over Hereford, and then 3 conceded twice against Blackburn (4-3) and Chesterfield (3-3). 15 goals conceded in 7 games was perhaps why John Dunn quickly took over, and had the number 1 shirt for most of the rest of the season. And Graham Tutt pretty much took over the following season. 

I have a vague memory of a blue goalkeeping jersey...  but perhaps that was Derek Belotti?