Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Photo scanning

Been digging out loads of old photos of my family and would like to scan some to share with rest of family. 

However my scanner/printer HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus, whilst being great with A4 docs, is not so convenient for photos. 

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced, reliable photo scanner that I can connect to my iMac (from 2014 so it’s an older USB connection). 

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, I have no recommendations other than personally I'd advise swerving HP as a company. They always seem too grabby to me - too keen to grab your data and try and find ways at tying you in. I know that's the general way of business these days, but HP always seem especially creepy about it to me. 

Presumably you already know what they're like though and are maybe quite happy with them as you've already got one of their printers. 
  • Options
    We scanned a bunch of old photos for my partner's mum's celebration of life a little while back. We primarily used the "PhotoScan" app on our Android phones. Had really good luck with it, good quality and it allows your to edit the pictures before saving them. This was a good way to do it if you have specific pictures you want to scan.

That being said, when my mum digitized a bunch of our photos a while back, she sent off the boxes and albums of photos to a company who does it all for you. We looked into it for my partner's family stuff and it wasn't that expensive, like $120 for like five shoeboxes of pictures. If you can afford it, I would recommend doing this if you have boxes and boxes you want scanned--it's something where if you do it yourself it could take ages. The company we looked was called Scan Cafe, but obviously we're in the States, but I'm sure there are companies there that do it. 
  • Options
    edited May 6
    If you have a decent camera phone, I’d probably look into that and check on YouTube the best set up.

I have an Epson V550 Scanner which was about £120 and use SilverFast software to scan prints and negatives into a MacBook Pro.
    I think the software may support older Mac operating systems.

The current model Epson V600 seems really expensive though.

If you can pick a cheap one up from eBay it may be worth it, if you have the time to spend doing it.