Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst Charlton Team Of Your Lifetime 2023 - 2024?

Listening to the Player of the Year podcast from Charlton Live, they said this is our worst league finish since 1926?

Which would be, 98 years ago , is this correct ?

If so it will be the worst season in pretty much all of our lifetimes on everyone on here, that really takes some doing!

I don't think most of the players can complain, if their contracts are not renewed, or they are moved on in the Summer , if that is the case.

What a time to be alive!

Comments

• Yes, the squad in that  season with Parkinson/Powell was dire.
  • 10/11 being the worst squad was my thought too. I’ve had look and we finished on 6 points more than this season. Jones showed us this squad should never have gone on the long winless run we went on under Appleton. A decent manager in that time and we’d have picked up more than 6 extra points.

This squad underperformed, not helped by working under 3 permanent managers and 2 caretakers. The 10/11 over performed for the first half of the season under Parkinson. Powell struggled but I think we’d have fallen to mid table under any manager.
  • I think the 10/11 lot were  worse than this seasons’ merry band of minstrels. I remember giving up half way through the season for a while. I didn’t quite get to that stage this season because, as dire as the football was, there was an element of soap opera that kept me going.  Close call though!
  • edited May 2
    2016/17 wasn't a great bunch. I'd probably take this season's crop over them too. And as for 2021/22...
  • UEAAddick said:
    2010-11 team was poor and maybe had worse individual players, but we had no money and up to about January/February we were still challenging for top 6 If I remember. We showed more fight up to a point, compared to this season. Also that was a much stronger league we were up against that season compared to this one, with Brighton and Southampton. Plus the likes of Peterborough and Huddersfield.
    It was and it wasn't a stronger league. There were some big teams at the top but some of the filler teams were rancid. Back in 2010 the lower middle League One teams were absolutely atrocious and the ones at the bottom were impossibly bad. Compare the likes of Fleetwood and Cheltenham this season to Dagenham, Hartlepool and Walsall. The overall standard of the third division is so much higher, I'd say this season's Carlisle are the most reflective on some of the general jank available back then.
  • edited May 2
    I'm not sure about worst ever but the 21/22 squad has got to be up there... Macgilvray, Gunter, Ben Watson, Gilbey, Stockley, Josh Davison, Schwartz, Innis, DJ, Clayden...
  • UEAAddick said:
    2010-11 team was poor and maybe had worse individual players, but we had no money and up to about January/February we were still challenging for top 6 If I remember. We showed more fight up to a point, compared to this season. Also that was a much stronger league we were up against that season compared to this one, with Brighton and Southampton. Plus the likes of Peterborough and Huddersfield.
    It was and it wasn't a stronger league. There were some big teams at the top but some of the filler teams were rancid. Back in 2010 the lower middle League One teams were absolutely atrocious and the ones at the bottom were impossibly bad. Compare the likes of Fleetwood and Cheltenham this season to Dagenham, Hartlepool and Walsall. The overall standard of the third division is so much higher, I'd say this season's Carlisle are the most reflective on some of the general jank available back then.
    Fair enough, I just remember having a bit more belief in that team compared to this one, despite both being poor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ulvestad had a couple of brilliant games as an emergency CB! Don't hate (that aspect of his body of work)!
  • 2010/11 squad would batter this one.
  • The 2015/16 relegation season was not an enjoyable experience.
  • 2016/17 had a better defence though.

In goal Rudd and Phillips
    In defence the likes of Bauer, Pearce, Konsa, Teixera, Solly, Fox, Dasilva, Page (when not injured)
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    2010/11 squad would batter this one.
    I don’t think either squad are capable of battering anyone

i would rather go to danson park on a Sunday morning and watch a random game rather than watch a game involving those squads. Saying that, lua lua v Matt fry might be an interesting battle. Who can stay on their feet longest before a backwards pass.