Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley express

Nothing advertised about Valley Express yet, are the club not runnig it this year ?

Comments

• Options
    not a service that I’d need to use but I do think it’s one the club should invest in. Kent is a huge catchment area because so many fans and ex-fans are located there. They may not all want to use the coach but purely seeing a coachload of Addicks going past on their way to a match simply triggers a FOMO experience. Do that often enough to them and they will come along to a match.

Obviously the same could be said for Surrey and Hampshire given how many fans seem to be travelling in and out of Waterloo on match days but the catchment area is not as strong for Charlton in the same way as Kent is 
  • Options

Valley Express 

The club are reviewing the Valley Express offering and will be confirming the plans for Valley Express well in advance of the Phase One deadline. Fans interested in purchasing a seasonal pass for the Valley Express service should email tickets@cafc.co.uk with details of where they travel from.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/season-tickets-phase-two-pricing-confirmed

• Options
    clive said:

Valley Express 

The club are reviewing the Valley Express offering and will be confirming the plans for Valley Express well in advance of the Phase One deadline. Fans interested in purchasing a seasonal pass for the Valley Express service should email tickets@cafc.co.uk with details of where they travel from.

If only fans also gave their address when they purchased their season tickets and match day tickets the club could pitch a train-price competitive service to those fans 
  • Options
    clive said:

Valley Express 

If only fans also gave their address when they purchased their season tickets and match day tickets the club could pitch a train-price competitive service to those fans 
    Well according to Charlton TV sales I think we may have a growing number of day trippers from overseas so Valley Express might need expanding 😆
  • Options

clive said:

Valley Express 

I expect 'only fans' addresses are one of the few things 'only fans' keep private!
  • Options
    I use the service and was told at the last game of the season that the service will be continuing next season and several others had been told the same.
    Asked our coach leader Sue and she had been told this as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2
    Redrobo said:
    I use the service and was told at the last game of the season that the service will be continuing next season and several others had been told the same.
    I hope this is correct.  I use it and renewing my S/T depends on it continuing.  Expect a small uplift in cost...what I don't understand is the delay in announcing?  My pessimistic side says they are hoping people renew before announcing it's being diiscontinued - but I hope that's not true...  Have heard quite a few regular users of VE say they probably won't renew S/T if the service stops as the roundtrip is too much and the parking regs make it difficult.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Redrobo said:
    I hope this is correct.  I use it and renewing my S/T depends on it continuing.  Expect a small uplift in cost...what I don't understand is the delay in announcing?  My pessimistic side says they are hoping people renew before announcing it's being diiscontinued - but I hope that's not true...  Have heard quite a few regular users of VE say they probably won't renew S/T if the service stops as the roundtrip is too much and the parking regs make it difficult.
    If they were telling people on a certain coach that it was continuing next season then why the delay? And why say it’s under review if that’s the case. It’s probably the case that the driver of that coach was assuming the service would still run.

I believe it will still run but maybe minor changes to the route etc and I’m expecting the cost to increase. I know for certain that a number of fans on the Hastings route will stop going if the service stops. I myself will have to consider what to do.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic are delighted to confirm the club will be running the Valley Express coach service for the 2024/25 season. 

“We know how valuable Valley Express is for a number of our supporters as it is much more affordable and reliable than alternative forms of transport, so we’re really pleased we’ll be able to offer the service for the 2024/25 season. We’ll all work to continue to improve our outreach to Kent to help us increase the amount of people using the service to give us the best chance of making Valley Express a sustainable service that we can run for many years to come, as it won’t be something that we continue to run if it is losing money.” 

Season passes are priced at just £299, which equates to just £13 per game. Click here to purchase your pass now.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/information-valley-express

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good news for this season but can’t see how with no changes it will make a profit so in serious jeopardy moving forwards.
  • Options
    Good news for this season but can’t see how with no changes it will make a profit so in serious jeopardy moving forwards.
    Good news but £69 increase of S/T over last season.  At £13 per home game still a lot cheaper and more convenient that driving or train.  Less stressful too.
  • Options
    Didn’t see the price if paying per game as I use it on occasions and was £13 plus the £1.50 booking fee this current season

Guess it might be £15 or so which has gone up from £11 previously. 

A great service and glad they are keeping it
  • Options
    The message seems very clear from the club, more need to use it or you lose it.

Plenty of warning for those who really value this service to get more people to use it or to see if they can run some sort of service themselves
  • Options
    Potentially the lack of profit with Valley Express is worth it compared to the massive loss of revenue if Valley Express users don’t renew their season tickets and their match day spend if it was stopped 
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Potentially the lack of profit with Valley Express is worth it compared to the massive loss of revenue if Valley Express users don’t renew their season tickets and their match day spend if it was stopped 
    I'm sure @Airman Brown could confirm but I'm pretty sure it was never set-up to make a profit or even break even but was subsidised to get fans from the Sussex/Kent areas to attend and boost attendance overall - spending money on S/Ts, occasional tickets and then extra spend on food, drink etc. in the ground.
  • Options
    I used it for a couple of seasons when I emigrated to the sticks but am now back on the trains (proper Charlton) but know it's a hugely valuable service for many so great to see the club considering those fans.
  • Options
    It doubtless makes a loss but I suspect that, if it is axed next season, the aggregate loss will be bigger, taking into account the loss of some season ticket holders and match day income. There are also probably some older supporters who couldn’t otherwise get to the game.

We can’t afford to lose any of our regulars if the owners are serious about growing the club. If we can achieve a decent level of success on the field, I imagine the service will be more fully utilised.
  • Options
    Out of interest, how many people use it per game?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I can only speak of the Hastings coach but I’d say we normally have between 2 and 6 spare seats on a 51 seater coach but even those spaces could be someone with a VE season ticket who missed that game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    I can only speak of the Hastings coach but I’d say we normally have between 2 and 6 spare seats on a 51 seater coach but even those spaces could be someone with a VE season ticket who missed that game.
    Cheers.

So how many other coaches are normally parked up when you get off/get back on?
  • Options
    There are six routes so six coaches. Not enough demand for more than one coach per route.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Cheers.

So how many other coaches are normally parked up when you get off/get back on?
    There are 6 coaches ran by VE
    Valley Express routes
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    One of CAST’s suggestions to the club is to set up a mechanism so that VEX season ticket holders can put their place back on sale if they are definitely not attending an individual match. That could be a simple way to increase usage and revenue. Will see if they act on it. 
  • Options
    Thanks. So a max of 300 people.

That helps put it into a bit more perspective, ie it's more than just a couple of dozen, but it isn't thousands.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Thanks. So a max of 300 people.

That helps put it into a bit more perspective, ie it's more than just a couple of dozen, but it isn't thousands.
    You would hope though that success on the pitch would increase Valley Express usage.

Again, only can speak of the Hastings coach, but speaking to people of the last trip up quite a few said they wouldn’t be able to go if Valley Express ceased. Reasons being they couldn’t/wouldnt drip up, train expensive plus having to go into London and out again, plus a number have a variety of disabilities. Valley Express might lose money but the Club would lose even more if the service ceased.
  • Options
    Renewed my S/T today after this announcement and also my VE S/T for next season as expecting us to do an Ipswich over the 2 seasons!!
  • Options
    The increased parking hassle is a factor here, eh! Might get a few more sign ups for this excellent service....

I'd like to think demand will only go up as individual motoring becomes less and less attractive in the years ahead