Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garden office

Who's got one? How easy was it to choose and install? What's an appropriate budget? Are converted shipping containers a good idea? 

Advice, anecdotes, warnings and encouragement to get on with it all welcome. 

Comments

• Options
    Whilst I don't use mine as an office, I could do. I went for a log cabin with 68mm logs, shingle roof and upgraded doors/windows from here last summer:

https://logcabinkits.co.uk/garden-log-cabins

Really good quality, took two of us best part of two days to put it up complete (including insulating floors etc), Mine was a Meribel 6x3m as also wanted a shed section.

Look to have increased a bit in price since I got mine, but still reasonable in my view.

It is hard work (for a pen pusher!) to put up, but not at all difficult. I then painted it over a few days, a sprayer was a massive time saver.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Who's got one? How easy was it to choose and install? What's an appropriate budget? Are converted shipping containers a good idea? 

Advice, anecdotes, warnings and encouragement to get on with it all welcome. 
    If you use a shipping container, you will almost certainly need to insulate it for winter use, and install AC for summer use.
  • Options
    edited March 25
    Found this company at the Chelsea flower show a few years back , prices have gone through the roof since we got ours, but would recommend the company, and product.

https://www.cranegardenbuildings.co.uk/?campaignid=brand_by_location&mediumid=adwords&sourceid=google_cpc&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7eSg-5SPhQMV4ObjBx1YVQMaEAAYASAAEgKnxPD_BwE
  • Options
    Found this company at the Chelsea flower show a few years back , prices have gone through the roof since we got ours, but would recommend the company, and product.

https://www.cranegardenbuildings.co.uk/?campaignid=brand_by_location&mediumid=adwords&sourceid=google_cpc&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7eSg-5SPhQMV4ObjBx1YVQMaEAAYASAAEgKnxPD_BwE
    Wow, some of those prices are mental!
  • Options
    edited March 25
    Rob7Lee said:

Wow, some of those prices are mental!
    Yep i did say, cost of timber has gone through the roof , i reckon its more of an investment, as the price to have ours done now, has gone up over 45% since we've had it, so its a good selling feature for the house, should you come to sell it, we didn't get ours to work from home, but then covid got invented , and it came in handy, i don't pay too commute, so its all relative.
  • Options
    I got one about 5 years ago, it has a shed at one end of it. Bought it from a Dutch company called Tuin. Size 4.5 m x 3m. Mrs GA used it when working from home. 
    I installed it myself, I would say it gets very hot in the summer, have thought about insulating the roof to try to stop it getting too hot.
  • Options
    I got one about 5 years ago, it has a shed at one end of it. Bought it from a Dutch company called Tuin. Size 4.5 m x 3m. Mrs GA used it when working from home. 
    I installed it myself, I would say it gets very hot in the summer, have thought about insulating the roof to try to stop it getting too hot.
    Looks very similar to how mine was delivered. Did you put any air vents in? They do get warm, think if I was using mine as an office would put in some form of portable air con. But a good part is they don't get that cold over winter, a quick blast of a heater for less than 5 mins and very toasty.
  • Options
    I’d absolutely love one of these for home but not being handy myself, what looks like a £3-4 self-build purchase on @Rob7Lee link evolves into a £15-20k job from a reputable firm 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Looks very similar to how mine was delivered. Did you put any air vents in? They do get warm, think if I was using mine as an office would put in some form of portable air con. But a good part is they don't get that cold over winter, a quick blast of a heater for less than 5 mins and very toasty.
    Yeah, I put vents in, just to create an air flow, more so for keeping the air fresh, as opposed to the heat on the inside. I was thinking of putting some kingspan up and then tongue & groove over it.
  • Options
    I’d absolutely love one of these for home but not being handy myself, what looks like a £3-4 self-build purchase on @Rob7Lee link evolves into a £15-20k job from a reputable firm 
    Come on Lifers - those of you who have the skills give AFKA a hand, after all he does a lot for all of us with CL. No I'm not offering as my skills are limited and too far to travel
  • Options
    Honestly it's really easy, just need at least two pairs of hands (but a smaller one I could have done on my own). The log cabins are like large lego. Each piece came numbered, honestly if I can do it anyone can, I bought a decent rubber mallet, but otherwise a drill, screwdriver is about all you need.

You don't have to have a concrete base, but I did and got a guy I knew in to do it.
  • Options
    edited March 25
    Rob7Lee said:
    Yeah, I put vents in, just to create an air flow, more so for keeping the air fresh, as opposed to the heat on the inside. I was thinking of putting some kingspan up and then tongue & groove over it.
    I did that in the floor but didn't bother with the roof, might make a small difference, but if in summer the suns hitting the walls/windows, I don't think the differential would be massive. In my instructions they said to insulate roof was kingspan on top of the current T&G and then board over, but guess you could do internally.
  • Options
    Wouldn’t something like this do you mate?

Can’t believe you stooped so low.

Well, you wouldn’t want to bang your head.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Whilst I don't use mine as an office, I could do. I went for a log cabin with 68mm logs, shingle roof and upgraded doors/windows from here last summer:

Really good quality, took two of us best part of two days to put it up complete (including insulating floors etc), Mine was a Meribel 6x3m as also wanted a shed section.

Look to have increased a bit in price since I got mine, but still reasonable in my view.

It is hard work (for a pen pusher!) to put up, but not at all difficult. I then painted it over a few days, a sprayer was a massive time saver.
    Thanks for this @Rob7Lee

Did you have to install a concrete slab as a base for this?  What advice would you give for foundations, etc?  Do you have power in there?
  • Options

Can you give me advice on what foundation you used? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Thanks for this @Rob7Lee

Did you have to install a concrete slab as a base for this?  What advice would you give for foundations, etc?  Do you have power in there?
    If you do run power up there, make sure you feed some cat 6 network cable too!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

If you are putting down a concrete base it should be roughly 2 inches shorter than the wooden building. 
    For example if you was installing a shed that was ten foot by ten foot the concrete base should be nine foot 10 inches by 9 foot 10 inches. 
    This is so that when it rains the rain falls of the bottom of the shed and goes directly to the ground. 
    If the concrete base was a few inches wider than the shed the rain would go underneath the wooden base and in time rot the floor. 
    If you prefer the base to be wider than the building then you could always spread some house bricks on the concrete before laying the floor to leave a gap so the rain doesn't touch the floor. 
    Trouble with that is that small creatures such as rats and mice tend to build their nests there.
    Good luck whichever way you choose to do it.

• Options
    T_C_E said:

My son in law had this built in his garden, stupid money (without the pro table)  and slightly on the large size for an office but the company that constructed it were to an exceptional standard of professionalism.
    I could as him for contact details if you wish?

That looks very decent.

You just know someones going to spill a drink or put a fag burn in that table though.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

If you are putting down a concrete base it should be roughly 2 inches shorter than the wooden building. 
    For example if you was installing a shed that was ten foot by ten foot the concrete base should be nine foot 10 inches by 9 foot 10 inches. 
    This is so that when it rains the rain falls of the bottom of the shed and goes directly to the ground. 
    If the concrete base was a few inches wider than the shed the rain would go underneath the wooden base and in time rot the floor. 
    If you prefer the base to be wider than the building then you could always spread some house bricks on the concrete before laying the floor to leave a gap so the rain doesn't touch the floor. 
    Trouble with that is that small creatures such as rats and mice tend to build their nests there.

My cabin’s bottom log is made of plastic, so it doesn’t rot, if sitting in water.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

My cabin’s bottom log is made of plastic, so it doesn’t rot, if sitting in water.
    That's great. 
    My reference was aimed at a wooden base. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Thanks for this @Rob7Lee

Hi Mate,

I didn't have to have a concrete slab, however it's very heavy clay soil where I am so thought best, had a local guy do that for me. If you have a look on YouTube lots of foundation options. There's a bit here on their website:

https://logcabinkits.co.uk/installation-guide/cabin-base

Personally, for the permanency I'd go concrete.

Yes has power and lighting installed, I ran it all and got a sparky in to connect it all up and check it over either end and then sign off.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    is there power in there if so stick a single split ac unit in would cost about 1800 quid 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    is there power in there if so stick a single split ac unit in would cost about 1800 quid 
    👍🏻power & cat 5 .
  • Options

Love mine.  Although as you can see in the picture, no sooner had it been built than my lad stuck a rock through the window (he was only 8).
    It is breeze block, concrete base, insulated, wood panelling. 30sqm
    If getting someone in then obviously get someone reputable. We went on a neighbour's recommendation and sadly had an absolute mare with cowboys.