Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Equinox

Tomorrow morning at 3.06 we'll be at Spring Equinox.  It seems hard to believe, for me at least, maybe because it's been so cloudy and miserable lately it doesn't feel like we're getting anything like 12 hours daylight yet. 

I like the look of this little experiment you can do, except it doesn't look possible here because of the cloud: Find an empty space such as a park or a parking lot where there are few tall buildings, trees or hills to obstruct the Sun. Find your location's latitude. Subtract this number from 90. This will be the angle you will affix the stick in the ground.  If you are in the Northern Hemisphere, use your compass to find south and point the stick in that direction. If you're in the Southern Hemisphere, point the stick or the ruler to the north. Using the protractor fix the stick in the ground at the angle you just calculated - remember to point it in the direction opposite to the hemisphere you are on. Wait till Noon and see the shadow of the stick disappear. At Noon, the stick will have no shadow at all!  https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/ten-things-march-equinox.html

Anyway, lets enjoy the changing seasons and look forward to some longer warmer days.

Comments

• Options
    Leave the house at 10 to 6 every morning and it definitely seems lighter that end of the day. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Leave the house at 10 to 6 every morning and it definitely seems lighter that end of the day. 
    That'll be it. I just need to get up earlier.  ;) 
  • Options
    thought this was about the Leicester Square nightclub back in the day ;)
  • Options
    Made a visit to Knowth last week. The east-west orientation of the passages at Knowth suggests astronomical alignment with the equinoxes. It’s not far from New Grange, all fascinating stuff. Well worth a visit.