Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Top flight football at the Valley for the first time in 41 years" 98 playoff commentary

Heard some play off commentary on a podcast earlier after Ilic's legendary save.  The commentator said the save meant there would now be "Top flight football at the Valley for the first time in 41 years."

Was it really 1957 the last time top division football was played at the Valley?  Or was the commentator mistaken?

Obviously we had our wilderness years at Upton Park and Selhurst but was this 41 year absence correct? 

Comments

• Options
    I'm thinking yes. Only other time we were in the top flight was at Sel**rst.
  • Options
    I'm thinking yes. Only other time we were in the top flight was at Sel**rst.
    Correct
  • Options
    yes, relegated end of 56/57 season. Promoted back for the 86/87 season at Shithurst, relegated at the same dump in 89/90 season.
  • Options
    Cheers gents.  No wonder we were so happy that day!
  • Options
    yes, relegated end of 56/57 season. Promoted back for the 86/87 season at Shithurst, relegated at the same dump in 89/90 season.
    We nearly went straight back up in the 1957/58 season and were second when we played Blackburn in the last game of the season. Blackburn won and went up instead of us.
  • Options
    edited March 12
    In those intervening 41 years we spent 4 of them in the 3rd tier 4 in the top flight and the rest in the second tier .
    Next season will be our 5th on the spin in the third tier and the 11th in 16 … load of shit 
  • Options
    In those intervening 41 years we spent 4 of them in the 4th tier 4 in the top flight and the rest in the second tier .
    Next season will be our 5th on the spin in the third tier and the 11th in 16 … load of shit 
    How did we get from the fourth tier to the second tier without spending any time in the third? Sorry if I’m being thick, brains still waking up! 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    In those intervening 41 years we spent 4 of them in the 4th tier 4 in the top flight and the rest in the second tier .
    How did we get from the fourth tier to the second tier without spending any time in the third? Sorry if I’m being thick, brains still waking up! 
    We never played in the 4th tier.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Sorry too many 4’s in head …should have said 3rd tier .. edited now 

our worst placed finish in that period was 14th in the third tier ….we now have a jostle cos we’ve risen to 14th …shameful times 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Sorry too many 4’s in head …should have said 3rd tier .. edited now 

our worst placed finish in that period was 14th in the third tier ….we now have a jostle cos we’ve risen to 14th …shameful times 
    Ah ok, cheers!