Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Big Match Revisited - FA Cup 0-2 Ipswich.

edited March 7 in General Charlton
Just watched the brief highlights on ITVX, and for some reason we seem to be wearing a Yellow non-Charlton shirt (Poss Ipswich spare as couldnt see badge close up), anyone know why?

Comments

• Options
    Les Berry’s was red by the end of the match 
  • Options
    Shaddap You Face
  • Options
    Shirt sponsorship banned in FA Cup then, first season of FADS, as it was on MOTD couldn't wear the FADS yellow shirt I think
  • Options
    Shirt sponsorship banned in FA Cup then, first season of FADS, as it was on MOTD couldn't wear the FADS yellow shirt I think
    That would be my guess.

I used to love going to a match & seeing us wearing a non-Fads/Woolwich kit and thinking "great, we must be on telly somewhere"
  • Options
    I was at that game. Great day out even though we lost. Decent performance too against a very decent Ipswich team. Don't remember anything about the kit though.
  • Options
    That was my very first Charlton game.

We lost.

That set the tone for much of the following 43 years ...
  • Options
    edited March 8
    They were a top, top team- no wonder he got the England job. I remember being quite pleased that we were not stuffed. It was a bit of an adventure for me as I had only recently passed my test, and it was the first time I drove my two younger brothers to an away game (especially over the water) my parents were nervous as hell!
  • Options
    I was at that game.  And, anyone else who was there will remind you that the 1981 Charlton team was one of the very best.  
  • Options
    I was one of the “penned in hordes from the Surrey Docks vomiting expletives” too. 
    One of my favourite seasons. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went there, travelled there and back on a little Yamaha two stroke motorbike.
    Regretted on the dark return journey because of the pathetic headlight.
    Football wise we weren’t too bad against one of the best ever Ipswich teams, support wise definitely in our top ten away showings, numbers and vocally.
  • Options
    edited March 9
    This was one of my favourite seasons as well.

I am surprised Mike Bailey doesn't get quoted more in the best manager debates. He literally took over one of the worst Charlton teams and turned them into promotion winners. Iirc the only signing he made was Terry Naylor a third of the way through the season I also accept Paul Walsh’s emergence dramatically improved the team

Let's also remember his mentor Benny Fenton. Our first tier skipper from the 1950's acted as Mike's assistant that year.
  • Options
    Sat next to Jeff Wood that afternoon. 
    Driving up to match it appeared the whole road was full of Charlton vehicles that day.

5 years to the day we last played a Fifth Round  match in the FA Cup Wolves away 76.
  • Options

This is Les Berry with his broken nose,photo by Tom Morris. As you can see he is wearing a Charlton shirt with badge.

Charlton have played in home sides shirt on two matches I have attended , once at Sheffield Wednesday and at Millwall.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Just watched the brief highlights on ITVX, and for some reason we seem to be wearing a Yellow non-Charlton shirt (Poss Ipswich spare as couldnt see badge close up), anyone know why?
    Not on this occasion. 

Charlton Addas yellow shirt.
  • Options

This is Les Berry with his broken nose,photo by Tom Morris. As you can see he is wearing a Charlton shirt with badge.

Charlton have played in home sides shirt on two matches I have attended , once at Sheffield Wednesday and at Millwall.
    I saw them play in Palace shirts at Selhurst in the 80's.
  • Options

I'd have walked out.
  • Options

🤮
  • Options

23 April 1984 lost 2-0 there was a lot clash and we had to wear Palace Shirts.

little did we know we would be playing there regularly in 18 months time. 

• Options

What's Santino Corleoni doing behind Les ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Tony Lange broke his ankle and Steve Gritt went in goal.
  • Options

Terry Butcher is clearly looking at Les in amazement thinking, that bloke looks like a true warrior all covered in claret. I reckon I'll have some of that one day.
  • Options
    Without using Google so can be badly wrong, Ipswich beat AZ Alkmaar in the UEFA Cup in '81.
    They were a joy to watch.
  • Options
    Correct. That 80/81 team is vastly underrated, think it's only because we bumbled over the line towards the end of the season they slip under the radar, first few months of the season were brilliant 
  • Options
    That was the first time I went to an away game outside London as part of a seriously big away turnout. It was epic, but it was like the Alamo in the first half. We hardly had a sniff but I can remember late on the prodigy Paul Walsh gave their defence the slip. Did the Big Match show that?
  • Options
    That was the first time I went to an away game outside London as part of a seriously big away turnout. It was epic, but it was like the Alamo in the first half. We hardly had a sniff but I can remember late on the prodigy Paul Walsh gave their defence the slip. Did the Big Match show that?
    nah!
  • Options

I'd have walked out.

Should have played in skins 
  • Options
    gmantaxi said:

I'd have walked out.

Should have played in skins 
    We should just be grateful they loan us the shirts - for a sky high fee - and let us play in our own shorts and socks. They saved us you know. Show some respect.
  • Options

Iirc It was Sheffield United that we played in a non Charlton shirt , but it was Wednesday who loaned the kit.
  • Options
    I remember us playing in green and black stripes at bramall lane.