Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Northampton Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 2nd March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Well if that's the case I can sort of understand it.
  • edited March 3
    The problem, I think, was partly the wind. Isted could get a decent enough distance on the ball but he needed a real swing at it. I think that is why he took another touch. You have to smell the danger and a toe poke out of play would have sufficed and maybe he will learn from that. I recall another game recently where the ball came into the coner of our goal area and I thought Isted should have been there. That area should be his domain. I think that is a big weakness of his but we saw from the Derby keeper how it can go wrong the other way. Maybe it is you get League One keepers in League One.

He didn't favour one side but I thought the ref was poor. He gave a lot of fouls that I don't think were fouls which didn't help the game.  
  • se9addick said:
    Based on what now feels like 8,000 years of watching Charlton shoot ourselves in the foot I said at 4:34pm on the match thread that we’d regret it if we didn’t score a second. We did regret, and I’m sure we always will in those circumstances.

One other comment that I’d repeat is, as bad as Isted’s mistake was (and it was a shocker), we should have been multiple goals up by the time it happened. We won’t go down this year, but that lack of a killer final ball that cost us today needs to be addressed in the summer if we’re to make a real promotion push next season. 
    To be fair there were at least a couple of killer crosses put in yesterday, including one from Coventry that landed right on Alfie’s head six or seven yards out. Good to see that he has that in his locker - with that great ball for the penalty at Derby as well. But generally I agree, we need more of them. 
    But looking at the bigger picture I think Jones is building what looks like a good side, with Jones, Gillesphey, Small, Ramsay, REG and Watson all impressing defensively recently. If he can improve Hector & Ness we’re reasonably well set up for a promotion push next season, with two or three more quality signings thrown in to the mix. Freddie won’t be here next year, so we’ll need a fit and healthy Leaburn up top with Kanu and/or May. 
  • edited March 3
    I watched on iplayer (with Northampton commentary) and have since read interviews with Northampton’s manager and they seem to all be of the opinion that we kicked the shit out of their player called Marc Leonard. The commentators were continually whinging about the lack of yellow cards to the point that even they apologised for going on about it.
    I don’t know if I’ve just got my charlton coloured specs on, but I didn’t see anything too untoward in that game. We were aggressive, yes. But we should be. Is it just people with Northampton coloured specs on seeing foul play when it wasn’t there, or did they have a point?
  • CBT or a replacement of some worth would have been handy yesterday.
  • edited March 3
    I watched on iplayer (with Northampton commentary) and have since read interviews with Northampton’s manager and they seem to all be of the opinion that we kicked the shit out of their player called Marc Leonard. The commentators were continually whinging about the lack of yellow cards to the point that even they apologised for going on about it.
    I don’t know if I’ve just got my charlton coloured specs on, but I didn’t see anything too untoward in that game. We were aggressive, yes. But we should be. Is it just people with Northampton coloured specs on seeing foul play when it wasn’t there, or did they have a point?
    There is a line and it is a tactic many teams have applied against us in recent years. Great if we are giving it back. You can do it in league one as long as it isn't too blatant.
  • There's some good work by their forwards once the back pass goes to Isted, blocking off his easy pass to Jones (by the scorer), which forces him to take the extra touch, the 7 closing down ahead to get in ahead of REG. There was only one pass on from the view we have to our player in midfield (Coventry/ Dobson?) and that opportunity was lost.
    There’s always the option to pass to row Z. 
    But i can see why Isted, once in receipt of the backpass couldn't, or maybe wouldn't, do that. The closing down was very effective (evidently!).
    Isted was put under unnecessary pressure but should have hoofed it away with his first touch.

A shame we only got one point as it appears we had chances to put the game to bed earlier on.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 3
  • Southbank said:
    I watched on iplayer (with Northampton commentary) and have since read interviews with Northampton’s manager and they seem to all be of the opinion that we kicked the shit out of their player called Marc Leonard. The commentators continually whinged about the lack of yellow cards.
    I never saw any foul play and I'm less biased than most (imo).
    In all the games since Lincoln we have committed a lot more fouls than the opposition. Look at the BBC stats.
    NJ has got the guys playing a tougher more 'in your face' type of game. It is necessary as we were too much of a pushover before, particularly in midfield ( can you hear me Angus Fraser?).
    Only surprise is no red cards so far.
    More fouls, but nothing over the acceptable limit, as shown by the fact that we got 2 booking yesterday, just as they did.
  • There's some good work by their forwards once the back pass goes to Isted, blocking off his easy pass to Jones (by the scorer), which forces him to take the extra touch, the 7 closing down ahead to get in ahead of REG. There was only one pass on from the view we have to our player in midfield (Coventry/ Dobson?) and that opportunity was lost.
    But i can see why Isted, once in receipt of the backpass couldn't, or maybe wouldn't, do that. The closing down was very effective (evidently!).
    It wasn’t really, it was down to Isted not clearing it after controlling it. His second touch was awful, and the attacker wasn’t even that close to him.
    Isted was put under unnecessary pressure but should have hoofed it away with his first touch.

A shame we only got one point as it appears we had chances to put the game to bed earlier on.
    ?
  • Genuinely feels like a loss, certainly points dropped!

Don’t get the insistence to play out from the back, be it a goal kick or recycling a passage of play- it inevitably puts us under unwanted pressure and we seem to always fumble it and give away easy goals, we’ve been going it all season!!

This, 100% 🤬
  • Talal said:
    Why do some keeping adding an 'a' to Isted's name? It's not even a difficult one. 
    If you’re fed up to the head with Isted, call him Istead instead.
  • Sponsored links:

• vff said:
    Charlton should have won that one. 

Alfie May won the EFL player of the year in London awards that may have impacted his concentration. 

How is this possible? Are they late for 2023?
    It’s only the first week in March for 2024. Even if it’s supposed to be ’player of the season’ then that is only still 75% gone. Why does everything  have to be done so  bleeding early these days? They’re bloody daft or in today’s terms ’they need to give their head a wobble’
  • edited March 3
    Watched the NJ interview. 

I tend to believe him when he says that he is 'More disappointed than any human being on the planet.'   It's great init?

I've said millions of times to Nathan Jones to stop using Hyperbole to make a point.

I love the wee Welshman's enthusiasm  as this club was dying through being poor on the pitch and fans apathy because of years of underperforming.

The statement that both Isted and AMB are useless is nonsense. AMB lost confidence and his decision making problematical.
    I hope the defense don't lose faith in Isted because we have only conceded 2 in last 3 games but it should've been 1 goal !

Are the 2 keepers good enough for a promotion challenge;  probably not but deal with that in the summer window.

Philips was a stay on the line keeper most of the time and was average with his feet but was very consistent and hardly made a faux Pas which cost Charlton. His Wembley cock up didn't cost the team so he was a lucky lad but in the league he was a safe pair of hands.
  • JamesSeed said:

People saying we must get 4 points minimum from the next two games are wrong and clearly don't understand the nuances of a relegation battle. Two is not the end of the world and 3 is acceptable should we win on Tuesday.

My reasoning for saying that we need a minimum of 4 points from the next 2 games is this.........

We simply have to pick up a point on Tuesday. Losing to Cheltenham would mean that we are just a point from safety and both Cheltenham & PV would still have 2 games in hand over is. Beating Cheltenham would be the perfect scenario but we've only won away twice this season & although we've just beaten Derby away that could be seen as a "one off" at the end of the season. 

And then we have to be beating Carlisle on Saturday. Playing at home to the team rock bottom who have just lost 3-1 at home to Reading. Frankly, if you want to stay up then beating the bottom team at home is going to be your best bet. We probably need another 10-12 points (so 3 wins & a few draws) so not winning that game just piles on more pressure to win other (more difficult) games.
    Forget what happened pre Nathan Jones. I’ve drawn a line under the Holden/Appleton eras. 
    Fresh start; we’re unbeaten in 5, have won a third of our away games, and are 2 draws and 1 win against the top 3. Gotta encourage the positive mindset rather than fretting about the bollox from earlier in the season. I thought you were turning over a new leaf too Golfie?
    Turned over a new leaf
    Then tore right through it.
  • Hands up all of you who just knew they were going to equalise.
    We played them off the park in every department but as we all know……the inevitable happened. 🙄
  • JamesSeed said:
    There's some good work by their forwards once the back pass goes to Isted, blocking off his easy pass to Jones (by the scorer), which forces him to take the extra touch, the 7 closing down ahead to get in ahead of REG. There was only one pass on from the view we have to our player in midfield (Coventry/ Dobson?) and that opportunity was lost.
    It wasn’t really, it was down to Isted not clearing it after controlling it. His second touch was awful, and the attacker wasn’t even that close to him.
    He takes the second touch because his preferred pass wasn't on and that was because of good closing down by the attacker. Benefit of hindsight and video as I wasn't there but credit due to the attackers. Our defenders could have took up better positions once that ball is going back too.
  • vff said:
    Charlton should have won that one. 

Alfie May won the EFL player of the year in London awards that may have impacted his concentration. 

How is this possible? Are they late for 2023?
    It’s only the first week in March for 2024. Even if it’s supposed to be ’player of the season’ then that is only still 75% gone. Why does everything  have to be done so  bleeding early these days? They’re bloody daft or in today’s terms ’they need to give their head a wobble’
    I’m not really sure what period the award was covering - they were described as the 2024 awards, so I assume it’s measuring the season 2023/24 rather than calendar year 2023. 
  • Disappointed to only end up with a draw obviously we were miles better and it’s definitely 2 points dropped but 2 months ago we would have lost that game I have no doubt. Not a chance we are getting relegated just get this season over and role on next season if NJ stays and gets a close season to work with this squad we will get promoted I’m very confident of that 
  • I was there - what a crap ground - we should have 3 or 4 nil up and out of sight by the time the mistake happened - hey ho - joys of supporting CAFC - 2nd half in particular it was men against boys - keep playing like that, cut out stupidity at the back (why didn’t Isted just stick it in Row Z), and we will be fine 
  • mendonca said:
    CBT or a replacement of some worth would have been handy yesterday.
    Disagree. We didn't need someone who drifts in and out of the game and occasionally shakes a leg. We needed one of our many chances finished 
  • Northampton had one shot on target yesterday and 3 corners. Like the 1496 Charlton fans, Isted was a spectator and probably freezing his joints solid. It was dumb thing to try and do anyway but if he had been forced to have been a bit more active during the game he probably would have got away with it. I blame NJ for changing the style of play and attacking and harassing the opposition all
    match