Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Manager Bounce

Bearing in mind we’ve seen similar short spells of (very welcome) intensity of effort from this squad with previous new managers/coaches, I’m surprised that so many posters on here are reacting as if it is a new phenomenon. 
I can understand the relief at an improvement in form when we are in relegation danger but can this squad physically keep up this intensity for every game Saturday / Tuesday?
At the current rate of injuries and suspensions we are going to continue to lose players frequently. 
For me, this intensity is impossible to replicate for all the remaining games so we need to keep level headed and realistic because we have a long fight ahead to escape relegation.
Yes Jones is doing well with the New Manager Bounce, but we’ve all seen how fragile this squad is and I for one don’t want to have my hopes dashed yet again.
A modicum of reality is required.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 29
    m_2 said:
    Bearing in mind we’ve seen similar short spells of (very welcome) intensity of effort from this squad with previous new managers/coaches, I’m surprised that so many posters on here are reacting as if it is a new phenomenon. 
    I can understand the relief at an improvement in form when we are in relegation danger but can this squad physically keep up this intensity for every game Saturday / Tuesday?
    At the current rate of injuries and suspensions we are going to continue to lose players frequently. 
    For me, this intensity is impossible to replicate for all the remaining games so we need to keep level headed and realistic because we have a long fight ahead to escape relegation.
    Yes Jones is doing well with the New Manager Bounce, but we’ve all seen how fragile this squad is and I for one don’t want to have my hopes dashed yet again.
    Agree with you up to a point, this might be our bounce, Saturdays match is equally as important (as is next Tuesdays).

I really don’t want us to get a ‘flash’ in the pan, would be great to get back to back wins, as we haven’t done that all season, would be another monkey off the back, and would be good to become consistently good, rather than consistently bad.
  • Options
    Tuesday was a fantastic result, I don't blame people for getting carried away but we we're dreadful in the first half, and Derby we're also dreadful in the second half. How they are second I am not sure
  • Options

This describes Jones’ new bounce. We’ve waited a while and it goes off.
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    If anything we have fewer people missing than earlier in the season. 

And to maintain the intensity, we're using our large squad to rotate the team, so for many of the players it isn't Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday. We'll have a fresh Dobson and Bakinson available on Saturday, for example.
  • Options
    I think this is different. New manager bounce has an immediate impact, what we are seeing with Jones is improvement over time. 

The Reading and Lincoln games weren’t much different performance wise to what we had seen before, but we are seeing week by week how we are getting better so I don’t think it is the usual “new manager comes in players try a bit harder”. They tried harder under Fleming and we were still shit so it’s more than that 
  • Options
    Tuesday was a fantastic result, I don't blame people for getting carried away but we we're dreadful in the first half, and Derby we're also dreadful in the second half. How they are second I am not sure

Agree it was head tennis in 1st half.
    Derby are 2nd because they have been consistent all season yet had an off night once we got into them and they wobbled big time.
    Derby emulated our two home defeats in a week against Colchester and Notts county under CP.

Just like we shouldn't think someone who has a good game against Cafc is the dog's and we should sign them.

Overall the standard is mediocre in league 1 23/24 but until Nathan Jones turned up there was a terrible disconnect between fans and players with so many fan/critics had thrown the towel in.

I looked at it as Nathan Jones had 15 games/steps to galvanize the players and fans and no individual game was a must win but we needed 6 wins minimum with about 6 draws.

After the Reading games we have seen the difference in attitude and 100% effort over the 100 odd minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    m_2 said:
    If anything we have fewer people missing than earlier in the season. 

And to maintain the intensity, we're using our large squad to rotate the team, so for many of the players it isn't Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday. We'll have a fresh Dobson and Bakinson available on Saturday, for example.
    That's the only thing that worries me about Jones, he talks about streamlining the squad, it's too big etc but playing a high intensity game surely we need a large squad ? Anyway so far I'm very impressed with Jones & sure he knows what he's doing. (Famous last words  :D)
  • Options
    Jones isn't afraid to rotate the side so i don't see much of an issue with the intensity we play at. A lot of what i'd class as our key players have all had a rest in recent weeks. 

Aside from perhaps the likes of Small and Anderson who might soon need a rest after playing a few games in a short burst, i don't see any reason why we can't continue as we have. 
  • Options
    Jones has already proved he’s not afraid to play youngsters. Anderson and Kanu looked lost before he arrived and Small looks at this point a real find and looks likely to hold on to that left wingback position. Next season he’ll have had a good look at who else is in line for being given a chance. I’ve heard Casey is worth a look and Henry will be back for pre season. That’s without Miles being back. We forget he’s only 20. High tempo will suit all of those players. I think we do have a bloated squad and provided Jones has the support financially to lose some and replace with better and with less injury concerns I’m very hopeful for next season. Let’s get safe first of course.
  • Options
    Jones has already proved he’s not afraid to play youngsters. Anderson and Kanu looked lost before he arrived and Small looks at this point a real find and looks likely to hold on to that left wingback position. Next season he’ll have had a good look at who else is in line for being given a chance. I’ve heard Casey is worth a look and Henry will be back for pre season. That’s without Miles being back. We forget he’s only 20. High tempo will suit all of those players. I think we do have a bloated squad and provided Jones has the support financially to lose some and replace with better and with less injury concerns I’m very hopeful for next season. Let’s get safe first of course.
    Ha ha Henry will be back. He's hopeless and as he is so slow, certainly wouldn't suit the high press game
  • Options
    But don't forget Zach Mitchell who is only just 19 and has played most matches for Colchester this season, although he's been MIA for several games recently so suspect he's currently injured.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    New manager bounce?! Jones didn't win for 5 games! If anything, what we're seeing is the signs of something more lasting
    Precisely this. Until a few days ago when we finally won a game, we had one particular poster who was very keen to point out the lack of a new manager bounce.
  • Options
    But don't forget Zach Mitchell who is only just 19 and has played most matches for Colchester this season, although he's been MIA for several games recently so suspect he's currently injured.
    Left out as they have too many loan players. The Cowleys probably prefer more experience at the back for a relegation battle 
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    You're not proper Charlton if you expect anything other than having your hopes dashed  :D:wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It might be an idea while we're having a manager bounce to have a fan bounce as well.
    A deal on all remaining home game tickets to get as many in as possible. The atmosphere against pompey was the best it's been for a while.
  • Options
  • Options
    I think we had a new manager bounce in the draws against Lincoln, Bolton and Pompey in not losing and definitely in the win over Derby.

Can't see Port vale have had a new manager bounce as I believe they have amassed 1 point in 12 since Darren Moore entered the building despite being ahead in 3 of those games.
  • Options
    It might be an idea while we're having a manager bounce to have a fan bounce as well.
    A deal on all remaining home game tickets to get as many in as possible. The atmosphere against pompey was the best it's been for a while.
    Maybe, but we've had a few freebie things this season. Have too many and it's a disincentive to getting a season ticket.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Maybe, but we've had a few freebie things this season. Have too many and it's a disincentive to getting a season ticket.
    I imagine they will have to make prices VERY attractive for next season.
    Two reasons, a further season in division three is depressing, and catastrophic for season ticket sales if we went down.
  • Options
    Did not work for Neil Warnock, although won today but has now resigned
  • Options
    edited March 10
    I think we had a new manager bounce in the draws against Lincoln, Bolton and Pompey in not losing and definitely in the win over Derby.

Can't see Port vale have had a new manager bounce as I believe they have amassed 1 point in 12 since Darren Moore entered the building despite being ahead in 3 of those games.

I still have to chuckle that a long time poster on CL thought Darren  Moore going to Port vale was "another nail in our coffin"  showing total disrespect to Nathan Jones.

While Port Vale's new manager's bounce under Moore has accumulated 1 point in 15, Cafc have accumulated 11 points in 15 even if we have to battle and scrap every game.