Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Savident RIP

John Savident, known for playing Fred Elliott in Coronation Street, has died aged 86, his agent has said.

The actor was known for his booming voice while playing the local butcher on the ITV soap.

Outside Coronation Street, Savident's other screen credits included a role in political comedy Yes, Minister.

He also appeared in Doctor Who, Stanley Kubrick's dystopian thriller A Clockwork Orange, biopic Gandhi, war film Battle Of Britain, and period drama Middlemarch.

Savident also appeared opposite Sir Anthony Hopkins in 1993's Oscar-nominated The Remains Of The Day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68380093

Comments

• Options
    edited February 23
    Honestly thought he'd died a few years back.

Was great as Fred Elliott.  I say, I say, he were great as Fred Elliott.

RIP.
  • Options
    He was a great actor in his day
    I say he was a great actor in his day
    RIP Fred
  • Options
    RIP Fred Elliott I say RIP Fred Elliott
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP, the English Foghorn Leghorn
    thats pretty much the perfect description isnt it :)
  • Options
    RIP a great character actor.

"Our Ashley!"
  • Options
    edited February 23
    RIP.

First knew him as Fred Elliot, and then was always delighted when I saw him as a younger actor in other things, a bit like the first time I saw Alf Roberts in Get Carter, and not trying to pull Rita Fairclough in The Corner Shop.  

ps I know its already been done but it's worth repeating - I say, I say, it's worth repeating.
  • Options
    I am much too late to use the I say gag, sadly.

Fred Elliot was an iconic Coronation Street actor and I was amazed to see him in A Clockwork Orange.

RIP

• Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he played Jumbo in Yes Minister when he had to squeeze into a train sleeping compartment with Hacker, Woolley, Appleby and the Press Agent.
  • Options
    It's all been said up thread.

RIP.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Best pork n beef.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Just read a great story told by John to a friend.
    He was stocking up at a local off licence when he recognised someone he thought had worked in pantomime with him, racking his brains he failed to put a name to the face.
    As he joined the queue he still couldn’t place the face or put a name to it, as she turned to leave to the till he said “are you doing panto this year” to which came the reply of “No” accompanied by a filthy look.
    Moving forward to pay, the guy at the till said, not often Princess Margaret comes into your shop!
    He had indeed met her in panto, after the event backstage with the rest of the cast. 
    RIP