Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Rabble"

2»

Comments

• The difference between an Army and a Rabble is orders. 
    So said Chief of the General Staff. Sir Mike Jackson
  • Might be the meeting they are talking about in the article, I was at one where Mark Aizlewood was wheeled out, presumably to help keep the peace. This worked for about 30 seconds, the first speaker was a bloke called Tony Shaw who was club secretary I think, a role he'd also filled at the Den.

He took an aggressive approach, telling everyone how lucky they were to have a club etc and to stop moaning. This precipitated an old fashioned covered end surge, and quite a lot of what they used to call industrial language (example - pass the monkey wrench please Jeffrey).

Anyway, it calmed down to an extent but I think without the internet etc, there few outlets for people to show how annoyed they were and these meetings were always going be a bit lively.
  • Might be the meeting they are talking about in the article, I was at one where Mark Aizlewood was wheeled out, presumably to help keep the peace. This worked for about 30 seconds, the first speaker was a bloke called Tony Shaw who was club secretary I think, a role he'd also filled at the Den.

He took an aggressive approach, telling everyone how lucky they were to have a club etc and to stop moaning. This precipitated an old fashioned covered end surge, and quite a lot of what they used to call industrial language (example - pass the monkey wrench please Jeffrey).

Anyway, it calmed down to an extent but I think without the internet etc, there few outlets for people to show how annoyed they were and these meetings were always going be a bit lively.
    That was the following year
  • JohnnyH2 said:

That was the following year
    Just looked at the date on the paper, you're right, pretty sure the one I went to was around the time of Jim Melroses 9 second goal so a year later. Never a dull moment in those days.
  • The rabble were proved right. If we had not returned to The Valley , Charlton Athletic would be no more.
  • The rabble were proved right. If we had not returned to The Valley , Charlton Athletic would be no more.
    Except you don't actually know that. None of us do.
  • Off_it said:
    The rabble were proved right. If we had not returned to The Valley , Charlton Athletic would be no more.
    I think we do.
  • Off_it said:
    The rabble were proved right. If we had not returned to The Valley , Charlton Athletic would be no more.
    Well it almost didn't exist for me already in fucking Thornton Heath. I used to drive over there, and think what am I doing in this alien shit-hole and why is this club called Charlton Athletic if they play here? That first grubby Voice of the Valley got thrust into my hand just in time, I was about to jack it in.

Maybe you are thinking of the discussion about an alternative site nearby the Valley, which would have been OK, if not so legendary, but there was no future in that dump.
  • Worse than no future - think it has now become fairly open knowledge that there was indeed an agenda to form one kind of S London United, which in reality would have meant the alien Palace absorbing littl’old Charlton. 
  • A lot of us thought that the playoff win over Leeds was crucial, at the time there was no real enthusiasm from the club to get back. If we’d lost that night we could easily have withered and died in Div 2 as it was then. That’s without Weegies horrific scenario of being taken over by Palace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Worse than no future - think it has now become fairly open knowledge that there was indeed an agenda to form one kind of S London United, which in reality would have meant the alien Palace absorbing littl’old Charlton. 
    I have kept a clipping of a Sunday Times mag spread which actually discusses it in great detail. It leans heavily on Noades and his grotesque plans. I’ll try to take a decent set of photos of it and post it here.