Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Travel money cards

I need to get my son who is travelling to New York for a college trip a travel bank card. I don't really want him taking his debit card so I'm thinking of a card you can load money on before he goes but can be used like a normal contactless card?
Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    Myself and the rest of my family have a Starling account, never had a problem with it.
  • Options
    I need to get my son who is travelling to New York for a college trip a travel bank card. I don't really want him taking his debit card so I'm thinking of a card you can load money on before he goes but can be used like a normal contactless card?
    Any recommendations?
    Have a look at the Monzo card.
  • Options
    When my daughter when to the states last year, she used a Revolut card, she actually took a physical card with her, as it was easier to use rather than her phone. She had no problems when she was out there.
  • Options
    yep as above Monzo 
  • Options
    I use Revolut. 
    Works perfectly for me. You can freeze it from your phone if you need to. The only downside so far is that when I was pickpocketed they charged £3 postage to replace it. Other cards sent replacements for free 

• Options
    RobRob
    edited February 19
    I’ve used Revolut but HSBC now have a Global Money Account so I’ve started to use that. In both cases you have a card with full contactless capabilities. Their exchange rates are competitive as well. There are various options. Just check out the fees though. 
  • Options
    I have a Hsbc account. They have a global money account where you can load any currency on to it. When you go away you just use the card for purchases as you would a debit card and it comes from your global money account. There are no charges and the exchange rate is usually near the best rate. I did take €100 out in a cash machine today and the ATM charged me €3.95 

I find it brilliant, as I put 150€ or so on  every month, then when I go away the spending money is already there. Also if you run out you can just top up from your current account on the mobile app.
  • Options
    Monzo vs Starling.  Check this is up to date. But after £200 withdrawal per month from ATMs outside the EEA Monzo charge a 3% fee. Starling do not.

But these are both debit cards that are working off a current account and you said you didn't want that. 

Also, Starling are currently taking an age to process new applications.

Maybe a Revolut account would be better?  But NOTE this and many others are only regulated for e-money transfers, they are not a bank and not covered by the FSCS compensation scheme if it all goes pear-shaped.
  • Options
    And something else, if he's renting a car, most (all?) car rental companies will only take a credit card to take a hold on the account.  Pre-paid/debit cards don't hack it. 
  • Options
    Travellers Cheques?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've used the Post Office Travel Mastercard previously, decent easy to use app even for a technophobe like me
  • Options
    I’ve used Revolut for a good few years now and never had an issue. Use their metal card and have it on my phone too. Exchange rates usually pretty much on the bank rate. 
  • Options
    danny777 said:
    I use Revolut. 
    Works perfectly for me. You can freeze it from your phone if you need to. The only downside so far is that when I was pickpocketed they charged £3 postage to replace it. Other cards sent replacements for free 

Bloody cheek, nicking it and then asking you for three quid to post it back to you. 
  • Options
    Revolut 
  • Options
    Revolut. Don’t bother with Monzo.
  • Options
    danny777 said:
    I use Revolut. 

7th avenue?
  • Options
    I've used the Post Office Travel Mastercard previously, decent easy to use app even for a technophobe like me
    Thought about that, but you've got to 18 to get one. He'll be 17 when he travels. Suppose I could order one for myself and let him take it?
  • Options
    Had a Caxton card for 15 years no problems.
    Last year in Thailand a cash machine failed to deliver my £50 order, Caxton sorted the problem in good time.
    However, although they don’t charge for withdrawals outside of UK, their exchange rates I suspect are not the most competitive any more.
    Been telling myself for a few years now I should switch to Revolut.
  • Options
    Have a Caxton card no issues but also a Chase current account giving 1% reward on most spending but also no charges/commission on spending abroad.
  • Options
    Also recommend Revolut. Used it in New York back in 2018. My son also used it it NY in 2022. 
    I also purchased a New York City pass which saved a lot of grief booking tickets for attractions and saved money. Check that out too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Revolt very good. Can use physical card or virtual card on phone. App is excellent, very easy to transfer money safely without needing account numbers and sort codes. 
  • Options
    Halifax credit card no fees abroad
  • Options
    edited February 19
    CafcWest said:
    Have a Caxton card no issues but also a Chase current account giving 1% reward on most spending but also no charges/commission on spending abroad.
    Another shout out for Caxton. Had one for years and never let me down. 

They even sorted out a problem with the other half's card in no time as they have a 24 hr helpline. 

Top up and keep on top of stuff with the app too
  • Options
    Revolut is by far the best for a card to travel with, and the exchange rates are among the best you can get. 
  • Options
    I got a WISE business card from work, so got a personal one as well. Well worth looking into, used it in an few different countries and easy to use
  • Options
    Post Office card worked perfectly for us when flipping between the US and Canada on our last trip. Don't think the exchange rate is that great but you don't end up with a ton of spare change that you will never use or find again for the next trip.
  • Options
    Cheers all. Opted for Revolut in the end.
    Set up the account in my name and I've ordered him a card to take away.
  • Options
    I’m currently travelling in Central America and have had no problems. 
  • Options
    I’ve used Wise. Decent rates and easy to manage.
  • Options
    Thought about that, but you've got to 18 to get one. He'll be 17 when he travels. Suppose I could order one for myself and let him take it?
    My son has just returned. Same age and holiday type.
    Got him a gohenry card.
    similar traits to earlier mentioned cards, but in his name.
    £120 a day max spend though, if that’s a problem?