Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slade Green Munitions Disaster

Slade Green munitions disaster victims remembered 100 years on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68314546

Despite growing up in nearby Abbey Wood and having an interest in local history I knew nothing about about this.

Comments

• Options
    Slade Green munitions disaster victims remembered 100 years on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68314546

Despite growing up in nearby Abbey Wood and having an interest in local history I knew nothing about about this.
    Likewise
  • Options
    I knew about this - my In-laws former next door neighbour - long ago passed away - remembered it, as he was a little boy at the time, and told me about it - dreadful, especially the ages of those who died
  • Options
    This is also a long forgotten about disaster - dreadful 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvertown_explosion
  • Options
    I only discovered this around 10 years ago when walking through the cemetery in Erith and seeing the memorial. A real local tragedy. RIP.

All my family are buried in the cemetery on the other side of Brook Street. 
  • Options
    Never heard of this either before today and I have an interest in local history.
  • Options
    As per usual the bbc report just lacking on key details as to where the site was. Much of slade green marshes has been built on as slade green itself was created from the 1930s(?) onwards. I thought I'd seen the site of these huts long since derelict over near where Joyce green hospital (asylum) once was. I now cannot find these using Google satellite view but getting close perhaps  with the spy view of old maps available here

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/#zoom=14.4&lat=51.46196&lon=0.19993&layers=10&b=1&r=30
  • Options
    I came across this during lock down and researched after seeing this memorial.  Absolute tragedy the women were so young too.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were on holiday last year and went to a Titanic grave site and museum which also covered this disaster which we had never heard of ...

Shocking !

• Options
    edited February 19
    Check out this one as well - there are still unexploded bombs under the ground - one of the largest non nuclear explosions in history, and the largest one on UK soil ever

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Fauld_explosion
  • Options
    One in Wiltshire which has recently been commemorated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-65315863
  • Options
    Although I have never set foot in either Abbey Wood or Slade Green, in the back of my mind I somehow knew about this tragedy, I have no idea where and when I first heard of it.
    All women/girls…….a very sad event.
    May they rest in peace.
  • Options
    My Mum, 90 and still lives in Slade Green, was at the service yesterday and read the prayers. She said it was a very moving service. I lived in Slade Green until 1994 but only became aware of this later through my Mum who is interested in local history. I know exactly where the site is. We used to play on the creek bank nearby when I was young. The marshes are still a very interesting place, but as you get nearer Erith it is very industrial and not a pretty sight.
  • Options
    My Mum lived in Hazel Rd and my eldest brother was born there. 
    My Mum told a story that a V1 landed quite close and blew the produce from the local allotments into a couple of peoples gardens.
  • Options
    fmaddick said:
    My great grandad’s sister was sadly one of those killed. 

As a family we were very grateful that one of those involved with the service yesterday was able to track us down which allowed my dad to attend the service on my family’s behalf. 

The service was very well attended and it’s great they are still remembered 100 years on
    Excellent that they tracked your family down, and asked him to attend - I worry that remembrance of this kind is being eroded, this partly restores my hope 

And, thoughts with your family, who lost a lady who was taken way too young 
  • Options
    As per usual the bbc report just lacking on key details as to where the site was. Much of slade green marshes has been built on as slade green itself was created from the 1930s(?) onwards. I thought I'd seen the site of these huts long since derelict over near where Joyce green hospital (asylum) once was. I now cannot find these using Google satellite view but getting close perhaps  with the spy view of old maps available here

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/#zoom=14.4&lat=51.46196&lon=0.19993&layers=10&b=1&r=30
    The site of the munitions establishment is where the industrial estate is next to where Dartford Flood Barrier is - on the Slade Green side of the River Darent - where it meets the Thames - the remains of WW2 anti aircraft site are in the field next to it - it is still a very isolated place, more so back in 1920’s, hence ideal for a munitions establishment - far enough away from residential area in case of a disaster (unlike Silvertown)

Other side of the flood barrier is the remains of a firework factory and WW1 Orchard Military Hospital - both can still be visited (but very derelict) - similar to Slade Green side, Dartford Marshes are still very isolated and remote 

I’m Dartford born and bred, and have always loved the marshes - walk my dogs there a lot - even though it’s marshes (I love Cliffe Marshes as well) - it’s amazing that you are in such a remote place, but on a clear day you can see Canary Wharf on the horizon 
    Are the marshes anywhere near Dartford Station i.e. walking distance.
    Thanks
  • Options

The site of the munitions establishment is where the industrial estate is next to where Dartford Flood Barrier is - on the Slade Green side of the River Darent - where it meets the Thames - the remains of WW2 anti aircraft site are in the field next to it - it is still a very isolated place, more so back in 1920’s, hence ideal for a munitions establishment - far enough away from residential area in case of a disaster (unlike Silvertown)

Other side of the flood barrier is the remains of a firework factory and WW1 Orchard Military Hospital - both can still be visited (but very derelict) - similar to Slade Green side, Dartford Marshes are still very isolated and remote 

I’m Dartford born and bred, and have always loved the marshes - walk my dogs there a lot - even though it’s marshes (I love Cliffe Marshes as well) - it’s amazing that you are in such a remote place, but on a clear day you can see Canary Wharf on the horizon 
    Are the marshes anywhere near Dartford Station i.e. walking distance.
    Thanks
    Yes they are - pm me your email address and I will send you a route map
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didnt know about this either and was brought up in that part of Erith and went to cubs/scouts at St Augustines. Recognise the street names of a lot of the victims. 
    Well done to the organisers.
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, but does Joyce Green Hospital, still exist, if not the hospital but the building?
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, but does Joyce Green Hospital, still exist, if not the hospital but the building?
    No - all gone - houses there now - remains of Orchard Hospital are still there, but very derelict - the road down to the Thames which took you to Long Reach Isolation Hospital is still there, and part of the fence and gate to the isolation hospital is still there, as are the concrete pads the buildings stood on
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
  • Options
    Have lived in the area all my life. Now just up the road in Bexleyheath and have never heard of this. My 93 year old gran still lives in Oak Road slade green. Will ask her if she knows much about it although she moved down from Scotland to slade green in her 30s I believe.