Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ends to The Valley - Part 1: Chuks Aneke //

2»

Comments

• While I know it was a reflection of his roots and journey but I’d have been more interested to know how he’s coped with his injury nightmare these past few seasons, which may have told us more about the man.
    100% that’s what I was hoping for too 
  • As a resident of Cherry Orchard Estate until my early 20’s, I’m proud to know I came from the Ends 👍
  • Title could read.

East end boy to The Valley.
    Or, From the East End to the Covered End.
  • Redskin said:
    Title could read.

East end boy to The Valley.
    Or, From the East End to the Covered End.
    From on your arse to on the grass
  • TEL said:
    Stupid title. Not sure really why they bothered. I like the bloke, when fit he's a great footballer but the rest I don't really need to know or care about. The ends? Never heard of that and spent my first 17 years on various council estates, not that you need to know or care about either😊
    I think it was trying to show where Chuks came from, which I think it did pretty well. I don’t see why everything has to been seen in a negative light ?
    I had no idea what the title meant either, but happy to learn something new. 
  • edited February 16
    Foxycafc said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cChr7Vc5b-U

Reckon this will be quite interesting
    Brought back a few memories. The hours I spent in that park kicking a ball around with my mates or getting up to mischief. My old infant & junior school in the background in that video too.

Who knew Chuks was the second best player to have graced the hallowed turf of Brampton Park...
  • ...also, does this also mean I'm from the Ends too? How very edgy and exciting. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chuks seems like a nice guy. Like the way he handles himself to be fair. Love the Charlton station thing , amazing. Hope he keeps us up and can play a big part next season in something better 🤷🏼‍♂️🙏
  • So hard to understand him, and I am an East End boy.

I've wondered  for years where this dialect/ London accent emerged from. 

None of the afro carribean people I know and have known my age speak like that, they have traditional cockney or well spoken accents and from Hackney etc not just my suburban chums and school mates. So whilst it may derive from a Windrush patois it doesn't seem to have chronologically followed. Would like me be talking in an Irish Polish accent in that respect.

Watching TV from 70s and 80s everyone spoke with a 'traditional' London accent in shows like Minder, Fools n horses and The Bill etc so seems to be quite a moden (last 20 years) phenomenon.

Obviously accents change over time but seems to be a quite rapid change that this is now the default young London accent and not only in the endz but also in the burbs n'all Black white or whatever. Notice it with footballers being interviewed too.

Probably a bit like me and my mates mockneying it up a bit when we were younger and now it's stuck but does seem to have derived from quite an affected origin which Sacha Baron Cohen noted with Ali G and now seems mainstream rather than parody.
    All part of the dumbing down of the English language. Dominos ads tell me I can get a large pizza for fourteen quid, the weather girl tells me to expect a splodge of rain overnight, the continuity people between programmes don’t enunciate properly. Does my head in, as does text speak like l8r etc.  

None of the afro carribean people I know and have known my age speak like that, they have traditional cockney or well spoken accents and from Hackney etc not just my suburban chums and school mates. So whilst it may derive from a Windrush patois it doesn't seem to have chronologically followed. Would like me be talking in an Irish Polish accent in that respect.

Watching TV from 70s and 80s everyone spoke with a 'traditional' London accent in shows like Minder, Fools n horses and The Bill etc so seems to be quite a moden (last 20 years) phenomenon.

Obviously accents change over time but seems to be a quite rapid change that this is now the default young London accent and not only in the endz but also in the burbs n'all Black white or whatever. Notice it with footballers being interviewed too.

Probably a bit like me and my mates mockneying it up a bit when we were younger and now it's stuck but does seem to have derived from quite an affected origin which Sacha Baron Cohen noted with Ali G and now seems mainstream rather than parody.
    All part of the dumbing down of the English language. Dominos ads tell me I can get a large pizza for fourteen quid, the weather girl tells me to expect a splodge of rain overnight, the continuity people between programmes don’t enunciate properly. Does my head in, as does text speak like l8r etc.  
    soz m8.

Language evolves, that’s a good thing. I’m sure you don’t speak like someone from the 1800s and they would think you were dumbing down the English language. 
  • I too was finding it challenging to understand everything he was saying, so I put subtitles on...........which then confused me to a whole new level.  :/
  • fenaddick said:
    So hard to understand him, and I am an East End boy.

Language evolves, that’s a good thing. I’m sure you don’t speak like someone from the 1800s and they would think you were dumbing down the English language. 
    Exactly, the language has constantly evolved, and we’re now in a generation who use MLE (Multicultural London English) which smashes all the cultures in the city together.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/the-common-tongue-of-twenty-first-century-london
  • Rothko said:
    fenaddick said:
    So hard to understand him, and I am an East End boy.

Exactly, the language has constantly evolved, and we’re now in a generation who use MLE (Multicultural London English) which smashes all the cultures in the city together.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/the-common-tongue-of-twenty-first-century-london
    Christ that's some self indulgent bullshit.

She comes across as the kind of person you meet and instantly want to get away from as they tell you their theories of why you are who you are. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ‘South London & Proud’…a sound bite that’s been chucked around a lot over the last few years by Palace. They’ve released videos of interviews with local players, covering their journeys, the connection to the club, the local area etc etc. It’s shot through filters to give it an edgier look and given backing music from the latest grime beats. They are incredibly popular with the younger diverse communities they are aimed at. 

It resonates and it attracts! The younger generation consume football in a very different way. For example, my youngest (14) comes to the odd game, doesn’t really fancy it week in week out and never watches a match on TV. But he’ll update me with all the Insta stories the club puts out. First thing he sent today was Chuks video. “Chuks is cool you know”. (Cue the, “you can find out if you come every week angling”). Social media spreads far and wide in an instant!

Representation is important and seeing a player, who comes from somewhere like you, looks like you, has the same micro culture influences in clothing, music, language allows some people to resonate with it. 
    South London is an incredibly diverse area and media snippets like this not only attract attention but help the community connect with the club, especially from younger audiences. 

Interesting and enlightening post thanks.
    God I feel old.