Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next 3 games

2»

Comments

• We keep talking about cameos from players. Camara, Chuks and now it seems Ladapo. That’s for me relying too much on impact subs. We’ve just got to find a way to be competitive for 90 minutes. We can’t keep falling behind and expect to salvage things in the last 20 minutes. 
  • If it was us that had games in hand a couple of points would be OK. As the teams below us have those games I expect us to be 3rd from bottom by March.
  • Next 3 games are irrelevant and definitely wont decide our fate

The 3 games in 11 days v the bottom 3
    Cheltenham A
    Carlisle H
    Fleetwood A

9 points from those 3 and we will be fine IMO as a couple of other wins after that should get us over the line(potentially Exeter A, Shrewsbury H)

But my main focus now turns to those 3 games in 11 days anything we can get before then is a bonus(would hope to get a point at Northampton)

Cheltenham A
    Carlisle H
    Fleetwood A

9 points from those 3 and we will be fine IMO as a couple of other wins after that should get us over the line(potentially Exeter A, Shrewsbury H)

But my main focus now turns to those 3 games in 11 days anything we can get before then is a bonus(would hope to get a point at Northampton)
    I agree with this.  The trouble is, lose the next 3 & confidence will be low going into these games.  We've seen an improvement last night.  Let's hope for further improvement the more Jones gets to work with them
  • We haven't won for ages, we haven't kept a clean sheet for months, we are still trying to find the right combination of players, we are short of confidence, lack leaders, etc etc etc.
    On the face of it you can write the next three off.
    But, as we know football doesn't work like that.
    I think it might help that each of those teams will try to play football and win the game, we won't have to break down an 11 man defence.
    I can see us raising our game, I think maybe Nathan has started to instil a bit more fight and resolve.
    I think turning that into points may be dependant on how much Chuks is able to contribute.
    I'd like to believe none of them will trounce us, which is what I wouild have predicted under Appleton.
    Let's see
  • edited February 14
    Everything would suggest no points. 20 games since a clean sheet and goals drying up.  We need 3 minimum just to keep up our pathetic 1 point per game so far this season.  

But Dobson back in the team, if Camara and Chuks stay fit, Ladapo gets confidence from the goal and if Coventry/Taylor are any good plus Ramsey fit then we have a chance.  Lots of ifs. 

Hope for 4. Can't see more. Can see 0.

If we don't get any it will be very very difficult to stay up I think.  That will put us a long way behind.
  • edited February 14
    The team has been playing under a cloud of negativity and pressure. Last night was a huge game and I think it showed in a few performances - for example Thomas looked very edgy on the ball which, for all his strengths and weaknesses, isn't something you usually associate with him.

The pressure is off a bit now for the next 3 matches. Not completely because we are in a bad situation where we need all the points we can get, but we'd be expecting to lose these next 3 even if we were mid table and going a bit better so they are a close to a free hit as we can get in our current circumstance.

Last night was far from perfect, but there were a few things that NJ will be able to cling onto and accentuate in an effort to restore some confidence and belief. You'd be mad to bet on it, but it wouldn't be the strangest thing to ever happen in football if we beat one of these.

• I think we are going to need at least 48 points to stay up, and that assumes the teams around us don't start winning games. What a terrible position to be in, and to think i almost stuck some money on us going up at the start of the season...
  • Zero points. Given our form I think we’ll need a miracle now to stay up. 

I agree with you but hopefully we will get some points and make things easier for our disasterous fixture list in March.

Should we get nothing from the next three games, which could easily happen, we'll be in SERIOUS trouble.  The teams above us have games in hand, as do the teams below us.

• Sponsored links:

Cheltenham A
    Carlisle H
    Fleetwood A

The problem is Cheltenham are in a bit of form whereas we are not, by the time we play them we are likely to be bottom four and them not, what makes you think we will beat them? 
  • As long as we come away from Bolton with something! A point would be great but odds are against. If we get zero points we need to come away with a psychological shot in the arm at least, a performance to be proud of. Make life difficult for Bolton and leave that place believing ‘we deserved something today!’
    Add that to the ‘we were better, we could have won that’ from last night and we’re then putting little bits together that can build confidence. 
    Start thinking about Pompey when the final whistle goes up north. 
  • After that second half I think we’ll stay up if Chuks & Ladapo stay involved. 
  • I recon & hope we get 4pts,with NJ on board….

Bolton -  Lose (Whilst our bigger players regain fitness/form)

Portsmouth - Win (bigger Players become fitter/wiser & it’s Portsmouth)

Derby - Draw (Players more fitter &
    play a system they now know,even when tweaked around during game )

March - Well see above,but we will have more consistency & confidence will see us pick up enough points to pull away from the dreaded R spots….🙏🏻 

before NJ turned up,I had already accepted the R word…but the above is where I’m at right now at this time,let’s hope something along them lines happens…or it really is back to the drawing board…😬

Come on U Addicks…!!!

• All I think about is when we got relegated from the Premier League. Big 6 pointer at home versus West Ham & we smashed them 4-0. At the end of the season they stayed up by winning away at Man Utd on the last day. 

Just win games.
  • One win in our last 10 games away at Bolton 

Cheltenham A
    Carlisle H
    Fleetwood A

I don’t agree we can just write off the next three games. They’re tough, but there are still points that we desperately need. 

Lose all three and it’s very unlikely that we’ll be able to automatically switch into a team that beats all comers afterwards.
  • So difficult to win matches when you concede every single game. It means we must score twice and the goals have dried up. Ask yourself the question. Can you see us not conceding in each of these games and if we do, can you see us scoring twice. I am not expecting any points in these three games.
  • It feels like damage limitation over the next 3 games BUT cafc have to still believe when reaching March that we can get out of this nightmare season in the 3rd tier and don't drop into Oblivion and Grimsby, with also a trip to Barrow on a January evening to get excited about.

From seeing Cafc beat Chelsea on 6 occasions, 7 if you include the Cup penalty shoot out game(we will Jose !) 
    It takes some incompetence by many owners, managers, coaches, players and tea ladies to reach this level of results.

My fear is if we take a tonking at Bolton any positives from the 2nd half against Lincoln will be history. If we lose 1-0 it may bizarrely be an ok result in the 14 games to safety.

Nathan Jones and the players have to believe that they can get a point or points from each of the next 3 games even if many of the fan base have 'thrown the towel in".
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCTrev said:

Weird 
  • All I think about is when we got relegated from the Premier League. Big 6 pointer at home versus West Ham & we smashed them 4-0. At the end of the season they stayed up by winning away at Man Utd on the last day. 

Just win games.
    As I said a couple of weeks ago. You dont have to write off games to concentrate on the lesser teams around you  - you can still beat the "big boys" to pick up points. 

Our winning away at Derby is our W.Hams 3 points at OT in 2007.
  • After these 3 games our run in basically couldn't be easier. Plenty of opportunity to pick up points after. If we could somehow nick 4 points from these 3 games that would be amazing.
    Pessimist

Dannoo_86 said:
    It would be charlton to come out of that run of games with 6 points. 
    Optimist

• So the next three games are 
    Northampton a
    Cheltenham a
    Carlisle h

All winnable, but a different proposition from facing promotion chasing teams. I'd expect a minimum of 7 points, but this is Charlton we are talking about 
  • Leuth said:
    Player for player we're not much worse (if at all) than any of these. I think they'll all be close games
    Problem is we can’t defend and the goals have dried up. Quite where the next clean sheet comes from I’m struggling with. Judging on the evidence of last night we’ll certainly huff and puff but we couldn’t blow the skin off a rice pudding let alone blow the house down. 
    O ye of little faith 🤔
  • We traditionally perform better against the better sides. This appears to be borne out by recent games and this is what worries me about the next 3. We need Jones to instil into the players the tactical astuteness to swat aside these poorer sides. It maybe helps that 2 out of 3 are away so the home sides are likely to try to come at us which should play into our hands. Having seen the highlights from last night, I can’t believe these are the same players who are right up in the faces of
    the opposition and hassling and harrying them.
  • edited February 29
    We traditionally perform better against the better sides. This appears to be borne out by recent games and this is what worries me about the next 3. We need Jones to instil into the players the tactical astuteness to swat aside these poorer sides. It maybe helps that 2 out of 3 are away so the home sides are likely to try to come at us which should play into our hands. Having seen the highlights from last night, I can’t believe these are the same players who are right up in the faces of
    the opposition and hassling and harrying them.
    In the past couple of seasons you may be right but not sure it can be said this season, (partially because we haven’t been able to beat anyone)…

BUT the wins we do have (before last night) are against 8th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 20th, 21st and 23rd. Not exactly the results of a team who perform better against better sides.
  • Would have bitten your hand off for 5 points before
  • Love to win all three but I’d take two draws away and a home win. We don’t want a defeat to allow our confidence to drain. Stay unbeaten first and foremost and we’ll be fine.