Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy centenary to the pips

The five, short and one long pip that signals the top of the hour, were first broadcast on 5 February 1924.  

Largely redundant now (like Alan Curbishley), and long-since departed from Greenwich (ditto), the pips are part of the fabric of this country.  

Happy birthday to the pip-pip-pip-pip-piiiiiiips 

Comments

• Options
    I expect there are kids today who have no idea what you’re talking about!!
  • Options
    Always the case, tbh
  • Options
    I love the pips feels like a part of our heritage. I also love the way that they used them as the basis for the BBC News theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y90hBN0wytY
  • Options
    I'm nearly 40 and i had to google what it was TBH... Not a radio person and the only pips I could think of was the ones on the old payphones when the money was about to run out !
  • Options
    edited February 5
    What about Glady’s Knight, didn’t think she was that old?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    The five, short and one long pip that signals the top of the hour, were first broadcast on 5 February 1924.  

Largely redundant now (like Alan Curbishley), and long-since departed from Greenwich (ditto), the pips are part of the fabric of this country.  

This is triggering me. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:

This is triggering me. 
    Pipdantic 
  • Options
    edited February 6
    I'm not a grammar nazi* but i really hope that apostrophe was due to autocorrect!

*well, perhaps a bit
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I'm not a grammar nazi* but i really hope that apostrophe was due to autocorrect!

*well, perhaps a bit
    Of course, would I make a silly grammar mistake, Constable 👮?
  • Options
    Perhap's
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Perhap's
    I think you mean, praps. Curbism!