Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County | Saturday 3rd February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Charlton Athletic vs Derby County
Saturday 3rd February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ed Duckworth

Introduction
Brace yourself... this could be a tough afternoon come 3pm tomorrow afternoon - Much has been made about the fixture list these next few weeks, we enter February with the prospect of facing three teams (Derby twice) all of whom are chasing not the Play-Offs, but automatic promotion - Of course it wouldn't be the first time that Charlton have been a brick wall against this type of opposition, a new Manager could be watching from the stands, and so give our players the needed lift.

6pm may not result in the foregone conclusion that many of us suspect.

The Opposition
Name: Derby County (4th) | Manager: Paul Warne
Ground: Pride Park
Previous League Result: Derby 2-1 Cheltenham

Our opponents tomorrow; Derby County are a side who have gone about their season in very sneaky fashion - A bit like Peterborough in some ways, if you hadn't looked at the League Table in some months, you'd be slightly surprised in some regard to see the Rams just a point off 2nd place... Its remarkable really that 2nd - 4th is separated by such a tight margin, but that's the Football League for you.

With Paul Warne though as Manager its not overly surprising to see Derby looking to return to the Championship after a two year exile - Warne took over in September 2022, joining from Rotherham where he'd had three successful promotions from this level... With the focus on Managers this weekend, is there anyone better at getting a side promoted from League One? - Their form in recent months means its going to be a tough, yet will be an admirable achievement if the Addicks can keep all three points in SE7 - Derby do travel to London in form, with just two defeats, and two draws since mid-October, however defeat at Reading two weeks ago, does show they're not some invincible side to be scared of... after all they've only kept a single clean sheet since Boxing Day!!

In terms of individuals... Well we all know the obvious dangerman will come from the flanks... Nathaniel Méndez-Laing has 13-assists, and seven goals to his name this term so will be one to watch out for - Warne usually opts for a 4-4-1-1 formation, with James Collins the lone Striker (he has 13-goals)... Stop those two and their next best threat comes from ex-Addick, and is someone all eyes will be on tomorrow... Martyn Waghorn... The one time Charlton loanee has six goals this season, however will miss this match with a Calf Injury... Stop Mendez-Laing and Collins, well we might have a chance

Don't think I've missed anyone have I?

Charlton Team News
Deadline Day saw Kayne Ramsay joining from Harrogate Town, with another Defender in the building that should help us address our leaky defence, and will ideally be a player right up our Street - Having only signed yesterday though, its possible he'll miss out, however with the pace of Derby's wide men, it may equally be wise to throw him straight in at the deep end, else the opposition will no doubt have a field day against Tennai Watson.

Tayo Edun will be back from suspension, which could see changes amongst the Charlton team from what we saw up at Blackpool, however a defensive approach would be understandable.

Should the wide players for Derby fail to track back, there could be an opportunity to exploit space presented to us.

Maynard-Brewer
Edmonds-Green - Gillesphey - Thomas
Ramsay - Dobson - Coventry - Edun
Bakinson
May - Ladapo

Substitutes Bench: Isted - T.Watson - Jones - Fiorini - L.Watson - Kanu - T.Campbell

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2
    Curtis Fleming Press Conference, although only a brief clip

• Options
    If CBT is only on "loan", is he allowed to play? I'm not sure if it would be good (as he'll get loads of stick and might go quiet...) or bad (he plays a blinder to remind us what he was capable of on his good days...).

The defensive approach s the only one we have under Fleming IMO. Pack the middle and defence, and hope for some magic from the front two...

I just can't see us getting a result, sadly, I'm going 2-1 Derby...  Hope I'm wrong!

COYA!
  • Options
    Really hope we take one of those midfielders out and play Louie Watson. We need more progression and creativity from midfield than those 3 offer
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    If CBT is only on "loan", is he allowed to play? I'm not sure if it would be good (as he'll get loads of stick and might go quiet...) or bad (he plays a blinder to remind us what he was capable of on his good days...).

The defensive approach s the only one we have under Fleming IMO. Pack the middle and defence, and hope for some magic from the front two...

I just can't see us getting a result, sadly, I'm going 2-1 Derby...  Hope I'm wrong!

COYA!
    Yes, CBT can play tomorrow. It won’t be good.
  • Options
    I can only see a relentless nauseating afternoon of "your grounds too big for you!".  Reckon there will be goals though.

2-4
  • Options
    I can only see a relentless nauseating afternoon of "your grounds too big for you!".  Reckon there will be goals though.

2-4
    2-4 is a decent shout, 50/1 odds in it (if you’re so inclined).
  • Options
    I am strangely optimistic but then I was before last weeks match too. 
  • Options
    We'll get beat and we brace ourselves for a massive game at Reading.
  • Options
    Derby looked poor against Cheltenham last game and were lucky to win. They have some good players, but are beatable IF we are up for it. I also feel strangely optimistic (for no rational reason) and think we might finally sneak that long overdue win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At least FA, you know there will be no more players coming in that you are not aware of. I do like your team and hope we can start turning our form around 
  • Options

Interim Head Coach Curtis Fleming is hopeful that Macaulay Gillesphey (hamstring) and Conor Coventry (concussion) can feature this weekend, while Tayo Edun is available again having served his one-match suspension.

Michael Hector (hamstring) Chuks Aneke (hamstring) and Miles Leaburn (hamstring) remain sidelined.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/match-preview-charlton-v-derby-county-0

• Options
    edited February 2
    Too same for Ramsay. Tennai Watson will be the one roasted by CBT.
    I really liked Fleming's presser. Shame he has little chance of staying.
  • Options
    Have a real bad feeling for this. 3 adrift by HT. 5 adrift by FT. 
    Just hope CBT has his usual blowing hot blowing cold performance. 
    Hopefully 1-0. , realistically 0-5
  • Options
    I think it comes too soon for Ramsay as he'll have had one light training session today. But excited to see him in the coming weeks.

Agree with the rest of the team assuming Gillesphey and Coventry are fit. That midfield lacks creativity though. Maybe we try to keep it tight for an hour then make changes, but we were lucky to still be only 1-0 down last weekend after 60 minutes.
  • Options
    edited February 2
    Start Kanu to run around and keep the Derby back line in their own third, draw their midfield back to bridge the gap behind them and their defence and leave CBT to cover the gap between where he likes to stand and wait for someone to pass to him and his new midfield. Exploit that gap - it works, trust me, I’ve seen it done . Bring Ladapo on around 65 minutes when the opposition’s legs are no longer fresh.
  • Options
    3-1 victory to surprise the fans, bookies and CBT. 

COME ON YOU ADDICKS 
  • Options
    I like that line-up, assuming (😂) that Ramsay is up to speed. It’s possible that Watson will keep the RB slot after having a couple of decent games.
    The lack of an obvious 10 might be an issue. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I like that line-up, assuming (😂) that Ramsay is up to speed. It’s possible that Watson will keep the RB slot after having a couple of decent games.
    I think the game plan will be to stop them scoring. If that fails we might see 30 mins of L Watson as a 10. Other than that, not much you could do with that squad as an attacking force..
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I think the game plan will be to stop them scoring. If that fails we might see 30 mins of L Watson as a 10. Other than that, not much you could do with that squad as an attacking force..
    Oh!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:
    Too same for Ramsay. Tennai Watson will be the one roasted by CBT.
    I really liked Fleming's presser. Shame he has little chance of staying.
    On the other hand Tennai could be the one roasting CBT who is also known for his defensive frailties, which have already been commented on by the Derby manager.
  • Options
    Bakinson anytime score. 6/1. 
    Looking forward to watching the game from side on, rather than from the CE Upper where the action up the far end is a bit of a blur. 
  • Options
    clive said:

Interim Head Coach Curtis Fleming is hopeful that Macaulay Gillesphey (hamstring) and Conor Coventry (concussion) can feature this weekend, while Tayo Edun is available again having served his one-match suspension.

Michael Hector (hamstring) Chuks Aneke (hamstring) and Miles Leaburn (hamstring) remain sidelined.

Is Camera back then?
  • Options
    Keeper 

REG, Thomas , Gillesphey

Ramsay, Dobson, Coventry, Edun

May

Kanu, Ladapo.

We do not need 3 non three non creative midfielders in this system - add a striker. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Looking forward to watching the game from side on, rather than from the CE Upper where the action up the far end is a bit of a blur. 
    Maybe get some new glasses?
  • Options
    With all the known unknowns (eg our new players) and known knowns (Derbys form and our lack of defence) plus the unknown unknowns (unknowable eg ref's decisions)  I haven't a clue.
    CAFC 1-2 Derby
  • Options
    edited February 2
    JamesSeed said:
    Maybe get some new glasses?
    I have. It’s cataracts - early stages. 
  • Options
    We won’t win a game till March. 
  • Options
    Put this in the Ramsay thread but given he’s taken the shirt number 66, we could have 40, 46, 47 and 66 in a line up soon, if not tomorrow.

• Options
    clive said:

That’s wrong. Our Ronnie says Chuks will be on the bench.