Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paris Olympics 2024

As the countdown begins for the 2024 Olympics held in Paris the excitement surrounding Olympic sports starts to heat up.
As an avid follower of Swimming I tend to enjoy the Olympics a lot, as well as taking the time to watch more niche sports that I would openly admit to being a plastic fan to. The last Olympics in Tokyo fell flat for me, probably because it was amidst the Covid era and the time difference didn't help watching in the UK, so Im hopeful the Paris games bring it back this year.

I'll definitely be watching the weightlifting amongst others such as already mentioned swimming, water polo, basketball and course the big hitters like athletics & gymnastics. As well as being intrigued to watching the additional sports such as Break-dancing and Surfing - although don't know the rules to either.

I attempted to get some tickets to different events but the price surrounding them was crazy money, unsure if they're still on sale but I thought they'd struggle to sell with some of the numbers being thrown around. That and it's in France (only joking for any French Addicks here)

Do you get into to watching the Olympics when its on?
Did you manage to get any tickets?
Any sports/athletes you're most looking forward to watching?

Interested to hear.

Comments

• Options
    I love the Olympics and am blessed to be able to work from home so can have wall to wall action on in the background. I actually really enjoyed Tokyo despite the lack of crowd.

I can get into any and every sport during it but looking forward to seeing the newer ones too
  • Options
    Always look forward to the Olympics. Was lucky to get tickets for the 1st athletics session in 2012 and was the best day out I've had at a sporting event. 
  • Options
    Always look forward to the Olympics. Was lucky to get tickets for the 1st athletics session in 2012 and was the best day out I've had at a sporting event. 
    Likewise. I was fortunate enough to see some aquatics and some velodrome events and then that cracking day of athletics at the Paralympics. Atmosphere was amazing.
     A friend of mine got opening ceremony and the super Saturday tickets annoyingly, both looked incredible.
  • Options
    edited February 2
    Love the Olympics. I normally watch everything, excluding the professional sports football, golf & tennis etc. I can watch those sports almost every day of the year on TV.

Didn’t get tickets, but will definitely go one year.

Really enjoyed watching the road cycling in Tokyo 2020. Always watch table tennis events and think that could have been me if I took the sport seriously.

• Options
    I'm going to a weight lifting and wrestling final day. Hotel in Paris wasn't cheap.  :#
  • Options
    mr.se7 said:
    Likewise. I was fortunate enough to see some aquatics and some velodrome events and then that cracking day of athletics at the Paralympics. Atmosphere was amazing.
     A friend of mine got opening ceremony and the super Saturday tickets annoyingly, both looked incredible.
    I got taken to the men's volleyball at Earls Court by a supplier and whilst not something I'd normally watch, really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Never got any tickets in 2012 and it was a massive regret as I love the Olympics. Always look forwarding to the rowing and cycling. Acrobatics is always cool too
  • Options
    Was you sitting behind starting blocks then mate?

😉
  • Options
    Absolutely love the track cycling. Could watch it all day.
  • Options
    love the Olympics. 

Obviously for full coverage will need Eurosport but got that as part of my tv package. 

It’s funny will watch the athletics heats but wouldn’t bother watching the Diamond League when on the tv. 

Love getting into random sports would never usually watch but if anyone says they can tell who scores a point in the fencing then they are liars !! 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know people will scoff, but am looking forward to the breakdancing ( yeah i don’t really consider it a sport either ). 

My kids did street dance and my eldest (now 13) actually qualified for the euros and world champs for his age group when aged 9 in 2020. Then lockdown came before the tournaments and was delayed, his classes went online and he just stopped and never wanted to go back. 

Me and his mum were gutted as he was showing some real talent but if you stop enjoying something then what’s the point

wont stop from me from going ‘THAT COULD HAVE BEEN YOU’ when we are watching it though !!!  
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    love the Olympics. 

Obviously for full coverage will need Eurosport but got that as part of my tv package. 

It’s funny will watch the athletics heats but wouldn’t bother watching the Diamond League when on the tv. 

Love getting into random sports would never usually watch but if anyone says they can tell who scores a point in the fencing then they are liars !! 

Used to do fencing about ten years ago... Could paint a whole Garden in an hour.

On a serious note, there are pressure points on the end of the blade, they're hooked up to a wire, its like being on one of those extendable Dog Leads
  • Options
    Love the Olympics and have tickets for semi final stages for a few events (in fact I think bronze medal for the water polo), but we can no longer make travelling to Paris on the dates we have work, so will be going on the resell site in due course and enjoying the games from home as much as possible. Was very much looking forward to going otherwise… 
  • Options
    Will watch bits and pieces each day, but sometimes find it’s just hard to consume so much of it considering the wall to wall coverage.

Went to the indoor volleyball in 2012 as a last minute/on the day thing when a mate offered a ticket. Was so glad I took it up, as it’s probably one of the few chances I’ll ever have to see the Olympic Games live for under £100
  • Options
    Chizz's thread from last week had more promise.
  • Options
    Will watch some of it but won’t go out my way to watch anything specific. What random sports have been introduced this year, BMX racing, chess, darts etc?
  • Options
    follett said:
    I love the Olympics and am blessed to be able to work from home so can have wall to wall action on in the background. I actually really enjoyed Tokyo despite the lack of crowd.

I can get into any and every sport during it but looking forward to seeing the newer ones too
    Dressage?
  • Options
    Presently reading Duncan Hamilton's biography of the great Eric Liddell whom made his athletic name 100 years back in the 1924 Paris Olympics.

Great read so far.
  • Options
    Wasn’t 2012 a bit more special than other Olympics though in that everything was basically sold out and even athletes were commenting how it was unusual to turn up for morning qualifying events and seeing a packed out stadium or arena watching and cheering them on ?

Paris 2024 could be just as special in that way, particularly as I read they are expecting the biggest contingent of fans from overseas to be British.but the spectre of the Champions League final debacle puts a big question mark over how the Paris police and organisers will cope, particularly given the comments of a New Zealand rugby fan I was talking to recently about his experiences at the WC final. He wasn’t particularly complimentary about the organisation in and around the stadium.