Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How Do We Employ A Good Manager?

A simple question, but one the current board have struggled with recruiting good managers thus far, so how do they go about employing a decent manager, that can 

A) Keep us up

B)   Win matches on a consistent basis and attract good players, who want to come to the club.

C)  connect with supporters, and put a smile back on our faces, and be good enough to stay at the club for a few years.

D) Not just  show some emotion on the touchline, but be flexible and bright enough to change tactics during. Match when it’s not working.

Is all this to much to ask for, it’s feels like we have been ground down so much, why can’t the board get it right?

Comments

• edited January 25
    Not possible with an experienced manager with our current structure unless incompetent like Appleton.  Nobody with a proper managerial CV and reputation will be happy being second guessed by Scott at every turn.

Structure suits a young innovative ambitious coach but represents a big risk given our current predicament.  I would favour a Warnock or Pearson type on a short-term deal then identify the right candidate before players return from the summer.

• edited January 25
     We need somebody in that recognises when things are not going well and reacts to it. We also need partnerships in the team. We chop and change far too often. It’s obviously difficult at the moment, but changing 3 or 4 players each game doesn’t really work. Pick 3 in midfield and (barring injury or suspension) stick with them for a few games.  I think there was a period of games where May played wide, as a 10 and also at a CF. Leave him in one position. Ironically, players that have needed taking out of the team have remained in there under Appleton. We just need a man with a plan
  • Pay the right amount.
  • Have good players in every position
  • Luck, we are going through them at such a rate of knots, one day, purely on chance we must come across a good one.
  • Hal1x said:
    Luck, we are going through them at such a rate of knots, one day, purely on chance we must come across a good one.
    And we'll still probably sack him after half a season.
  • 50% Track record.  50%. Luck Dip.
  • edited January 26
    Not possible with an experienced manager with our current structure unless incompetent like Appleton.  Nobody with a proper managerial CV and reputation will be happy being second guessed by Scott at every turn.

Structure suits a young innovative ambitious coach but represents a big risk given our current predicament.  I would favour a Warnock or Pearson type on a short-term deal then identify the right candidate before players return from the summer.

I mean they're going to get that at pretty much every club our size and probably at a lot of smaller ones as well. The days of Cloughie turning up with two brown envelopes, one for the transfer fee and the other the signing bonus are over. This is how things are done now.

Whether Scott, Methven, Rodwell, and whoever else are good enough at what they do is one question, but the fact that that role exists is now a given, and in my opinion it shouldn't change. I genuinely don't know where a manager would go in the top two divisions where they would be the only one choosing transfer targets. I just don't think that exists anymore. 
  • Sponsored links:

• You offer the going rate for a proper manager, it can't be done on the cheap unless you unearth a bit of a diamond in the rough. 

Same as players, just got to throw the cash and the quality will arrive. 
    This is definitely a big part of it. Holden definitely felt like an appointment on the cheap, and Appleton felt like the only one who was available. 

But I think a lot of it also comes down to what is the goal for the next four months, six months, one year, and two years? And that's on Scott and co. Determine how you want your team to play and who you want to build around, and then find a manager whose past work is well suited to that style and system. 

When Ben Garner joined us he was quite a promising young coach. But he was not suited to the Bowyer/Adkins/Jacko squad, and we didn't do enough to move on players who didn't suit his system. So instead he was forced to play 4-4-2 with Ryan Inniss (terrible on the ball) at CB trying to build from the back. And three months in it all fell apart.

Another example is when we sacked Holden some people (though not a lot) were calling for Darren Moore. And while Darren Moore seems great, much beloved, we don't have a Darren Moore squad even if we could get him (which I think was unlikely, I think his next job was always going to be in the Championship). It's how I feel about Nigel Pearson this time around. Even if Pearson were on his way up the leagues instead of down them, we don't have a Pearson squad. We have a squad built to play out from the back and (kind of) through the midfield.  
  • answer .. attract the wanted man with a big salary offer and a promise not to get involved in team matters .. lastly, allow him to bring in his own coaching team/assistants (maximum 2, we ain't made of money lol)