Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Update from the board of directors

Comments

• What a load of bollocks. The boards last extensive search identified Michael Appleton as the stand out choice, which clearly he wasn’t. Everyone bar the board knew that. What faith can we have you’ll get it right this time? Very little!
    Oh come on. Have faith. 

Scott is perfectly capable of getting his suggestions on the next man from this site. 

The mistake he made last time was not appreciating irony and sarcasm when Appleton was mentioned. 

Twice bitten twice shy. 

He won’t make that mistake again.  😆
  • Plaaayer said:
    We seem to be one of the only clubs around that doesn’t have someone lined up straight away when a manager has been sacked. 

Everyone could see this coming a mile off, even if you got your ducks in a row after Saturdays game, but to sack him Tuesday and STILL have to go through a process is ridiculous. Nothing they’ve done so far since taking over makes me think they’re anything other than amateurish. 
    Or they have already approached a load and they have been turned down by all of them. 

I don’t  know but surely they can’t be that incompetent can they ? 
  • What they say today will be forgotten tomorrow but indeed what they do will not, one way or the other. The current evidence suggests we shouldn't be too optimistic, but if they get things right I will call that as such. Likewise, I will call what I think they get wrong. There has been much more of that so far I think. The ball is in their court.
  • I know they feel they have to do stuff like this but its just more words and they are so easy. Actions, tangible actions are hard but they are what counts. 

One thing I'll say is they are clearly backing Scott and I'm not too sure that's a great idea. His recruitment this month when players have to hit the ground running has been naive. Fiorini, Ladapo (who i think will become a good signing), Gillesphey, Coventry, Bakinson, Edmonds-Green, all are a month away from being match fit and brand new to a fairly low brow group. Given how appalling the defence has been and how uninspiring the midfield are they invariably all have to play their way to integrating, getting to know their also new teammates and getting match sharp. 

Which, given the amount of loans we have seems scattergun and without a plan, which is Scott's job 
  • They don't half love the sound of their own voice. 

Would love their actions to back it up just once. 
  • Sponsored links:

• we are still looking to further strengthen the squad before the window closes next week.

Without a manager? Good luck with that.
  • edited January 24
    Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't put out a statement, did anyone really expect anything else, of course they are gonna deflect any critisism onto the patsy they have just kicked off the premises...
    Lets just see who they get in next, then we can slag them off as much as we like if it goes tits up...🙄
  • Bit of a nothing statement, but cant argue that this window has been good. If they get the manager right, a couple of new wingbacks and a winger so we can change it up when needed, i really think we will be there or thereabouts next season.
  • “We would like to thank you for your continued, passionate support”

Fuck off with your platitudes and get on with stopping us from being sooooooo shit
  • Croydon said:
    Don't see any benefit in keeping Henderson. There's been no improvement in AMB, if anything he's gotten worse, and was a big backer of Appleton
    Wasn’t he a bit prickish to @Braziliance when he stalked them after Bristol Rovers
  • seth plum said:
    Was that statement generated by artificial chat gtp intelligence?
    Ask for your money back Charlie.
    Charlie is (somewhat) intelligent and artificial. So I think he wrote it himself.
  • seth plum said:
    Charlie is (somewhat) intelligent and artificial. So I think he wrote it himself.
    My money is on ChatGPT

• seth plum said:
    My money is on ChatGPT

Not far off:

Dear Charlton Athletic supporters,

We would like to express our gratitude for your unwavering support throughout Michael Appleton's tenure as our manager. After careful consideration, we have decided to part ways with him, and we understand the disappointment this may bring.

Rest assured, this decision was made with the best interests of Charlton Athletic at heart. We are actively working to identify the right individual who will lead the club into a promising future. Our commitment to success remains unwavering, and we appreciate your continued loyalty during this transitional period.

Thank you for your understanding, and we look forward to your continued support.

Sincerely,

[Charlton Athletic Board of Directors]
  • Sponsored links:

• Bailey said:
    Just for once i'd like the board of directors to say, 'We clearly understand the current league position and fan dissatisfaction is our responsibility and ours alone. We made an error in our selection of first team coach, the appointment was made in good faith and we had hoped that Mr Appleton would produce the desired results. We now believe that the next head coach at Charlton will better suit both the loyal fan base, as well as share and deliver the success the club deserves' .........I can dream 
    HaHa dream on. 99% of the fanbase could have told them that he was totally the wrong appointment. It was only going to end in failure, that's what he does. (in my opinion) Why did they think any different & if they really believe that bullshit they come out with about being the best man for the job it shows exactly why they shouldn't be anywhere near running ANY football club. Chancers !!!
  • seth plum said:
    He certainly is. 
  • We understand that the supporters are understanding and there to support us. We support your support and understand your understanding, and will stand under the supporters to support them as they understand the support they understandably support us with by supporting. Understand?
  • we are still looking to further strengthen the squad before the window closes next week.

Without a manager? Good luck with that.
    Do you think Gillesphy, Edmonds-Green and Coventry didn't consider the managers longevity when signing their long term deals. Managers lose their jobs all the time, does it ultimately bother the players?
    Exactly this. Unless you're signing for Pep, Klopp or another big name manager i don't think players are ultimately that bothered who they play for, especially at league one level. The vast majority will just go where the money is highest.

We could be managed by Karel Fraeye but if we stuck 20k a week in front of JCH he'd probably sign tomorrow.
  • Cloudworm said:
    I think we need to give them benefit of the doubt and get behind them.

Anyone can sack two managers in a season, name a club that doesn't.

Recruitment is difficult and you're bound to get a few duffs loans and injured players, there's no way to avoid that.

And I think fans are getting way too fixated on results and league positions.  Just enjoy the day out.

They are trying their best, they saved the club and the owners are really, really rich so stop moaning, it is all the negatively and fan pressure that made them make all hasty decisions in the first place.

Henry stakes his reputation on this board. Not sure why exactly...
    Whoooooosh @Cloudworm