Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where will we finish?

As much as it pains me it does look like we're in with a real shout of L2 football. Everything at the club is in chaos...

Comments

• Options
    Been saying it for ages and not changing now.

We will get relegated in the final relegation spot. I think it’s now beyond obvious. We have all seen relegation years and this has all the hallmarks.

If someone like Michael Duff or Nathan Jones came in - it’s game over. If they had come in at the start of the year we wouldn’t be having this conversation but it’s too late for anyone now - unless it’s a Charlton hire to get the fanbase back together. The place is poison at the moment. From this forum, to the stands, social media and dare I say around the training ground.
  • Options
    edited January 24
    Last night had the feel of a relegation team. If we don't get someone in to sort the players out and lead and inspire them I really fear we could drop especially when you see teams below us with games in hand and forthcoming fixtures.

I think that would potentially be catastrophic to the going concern of the club in a way we've not seen before even in the dark days of the 80s and fear the owners would pull the plug.

Hopefully we can get someone to avert this decline but feels very much a possibility at moment which is insane when a week ago the mood was far more optimistic on the back of seemingly good transfer business.

Madness to give Appleton charge of last night's game really.
  • Options
    Just when you thought this club couldn't hurt you any more - 

• Options
    I still struggle to truly accept being in a relegation battle but the reality is we have a run of games coming up that even if we play well we could lose. 

If they hire another journeyman dud like Appleton we really do have a chance of playing fourth tier football next season. 
  • Options
    Next manager is crucial but for now I do think we will stay up. More often than not it's the teams that struggle to score that go down, which fortunately isn't a problem. We need someone that has shown they are able to organise a team well, defend properly and if they can improve our set pieces even better.
  • Options
    I fear we will slip into the bottom 4 by the end of next month. The fixtures look really tough in February.

IF those idiots in the Boardroom make another terrible appointment, then relegation will be a real possibility and if that happened, would we survive as a club?

For reasons of avoiding relegation at all costs, we need to appoint a real hard nut manager, who will organise the players and make us hard to beat.

Short term, someone like Warnock.

Longer term  - maybe Rowett 

Fuck any notion of a "project" or a "journey" - we need to fight to stay alive.

So no to the likes of Jones or Duff as they are too flaky- maybe next season if we stay up.

And no to any inexperienced candidates, or bringing back the old guard like Curbs, Bowyer, Powell, JJ and so on. If we get this next appointment wrong, we will go down 

• Options
    edited January 24
    I am concerned how poor we look in this 352. May and Ladapo looked very isolated and I dont think we are going to score as many goals as we have done prior. The worry is we don’t look like conceding less either.

The team looks disjointed and we have no proper AM playing to bridge the gap between defence and attack. The wingbacks aren’t balanced with Edun a lot better going forward so all attacks coming down the left, albeit with the final cross always being underwhelming. Neither are great at defending exposing the CBs over and over who don’t seem to fully understand their positioning.

There are clearly some quality players but there’s no cohesion at all. If the new manager can get it to click we will go on a decent run and be fine but I think it’s going to be difficult to overturn this rut.

Our biggest success this season has been down the wing and TC and CBT have a good number of assists. We’ve now completely nullified the option to play wingers as we only really have one so we’re a bit stuck formation wise.

I think we will be ok but I can’t say I’m confident
  • Options
    I'm convinced we will drop into the bottom four looking at out next five or six fixtures and it's going to be difficult to get back out again. Sadly i think we are going down with probably the best set of players anyone has got relegated with in a long time. That's what happens when you can't defend. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    17th
  • Options
    I just want Palace and Millwall to go on a spiral down and join us in League 2 😁
  • Options
    I don't think we'll get relegated but it'll be the lowest finish position we've ever finished on in the football leagues
  • Options

We will get relegated in the final relegation spot. I think it’s now beyond obvious. We have all seen relegation years and this has all the hallmarks.

If someone like Michael Duff or Nathan Jones came in - it’s game over. If they had come in at the start of the year we wouldn’t be having this conversation but it’s too late for anyone now - unless it’s a Charlton hire to get the fanbase back together. The place is poison at the moment. From this forum, to the stands, social media and dare I say around the training ground.
    It’s a little melodramatic to to say that it’s “beyond obvious” that we’ll get relegated.

We should stay up - with recent additions there’s enough quality in the squad to make sure of that. 
  • Options
    What's the lowest we've ever finished?  One place lower than that. 
  • Options
    I don't think we'll get relegated but it'll be the lowest finish position we've ever finished on in the football leagues
    21st out of 22 - Third Division South - 1925/1926

16th out of 22 - Third Division South - 1921/1922

15th out of 22 - Third Division South - 1924/1925

14th out of 22 - Third Division South - 1923/1924

14th out of 24 - Third Division - 1973/1974

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    21st out of 22 - Third Division South - 1925/1926

16th out of 22 - Third Division South - 1921/1922

15th out of 22 - Third Division South - 1924/1925

14th out of 22 - Third Division South - 1923/1924

14th out of 24 - Third Division - 1973/1974

Definitely a good chance of being our lowest ever finish in the modern era 
  • Options
    National league at this rate
  • Options
    Clutching straws I know, but we really need Chucks fit and to play a role in at least 10 games. He makes a massive difference when on the pitch, even if for just 20-25 minutes
  • Options
    I could stand corrected but I really cant see us finishing anywhere near the bottom 4 we score too many goals and have too many good attacking players to not pick up a few wins which is all we need 48 points keeps you up that is 5 wins and 3 draws, if we cant manage that from 18 game then there is something seriously wrong :) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thecat said:
    Clutching straws I know, but we really need Chucks fit and to play a role in at least 10 games. He makes a massive difference when on the pitch, even if for just 20-25 minutes
    Lucky to get 10 minutes.
  • Options
    Still convinced we will finish this season well, and steer clear of the drop, but if nothing else, this season must at least produce the jolt needed to wake everyone at the club and provide for next season to prevent a repeat scenario...
  • Options
    Wycombe.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

It’s a little melodramatic to to say that it’s “beyond obvious” that we’ll get relegated.

We should stay up - with recent additions there’s enough quality in the squad to make sure of that. 
    Recent additions like the useless defenders and still no decent full backs and wingers ?

The squad is inbalanced with serious flaws in the defence. AMB is rubbish as well, so i have zero confidence, given the shit show of a club we have become.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    I could stand corrected but I really cant see us finishing anywhere near the bottom 4 we score too many goals and have too many good attacking players to not pick up a few wins which is all we need 48 points keeps you up that is 5 wins and 3 draws, if we cant manage that from 18 game then there is something seriously wrong :) 
    CH4RLTON said:
    More misguided optimism, though I pray you are right 
  • Options
    i reckon now 21st, too many top teams to play between now and April.
  • Options
    Top.
  • Options
    Top.
    Your not standing on your head are you,...🤔
  • Options
    If Appleton had remained for another 6 or 7 games we would be in the bottom 3.

With him gone we should have enough quality to finish mid table if we get the next manager appointment correct. 
    I think we’ve had it .  I genuinely don’t see that as a mid table squad 
  • Options
    22nd.

This feels like a relegation slide that no one deals with properly until it's too late.