Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Northampton Town : Tuesday 23rd January 2024 : KO 19:45

Tonight we welcome Northampton Town to The Valley for yet another must win game, getting tired of writing that, but we have now reached desperate times, and we really do need to start getting points on the board, 'cos the only way is down otherwise...
Northampton have been getting results lately, going unbeaten in their last six games and  currently lie in 10th place, oh the heady heights of the top half of league one...🙄

We've gone toe-to-toe on 35 previous occasions winning 13, the Cobblers nine and the remaining 13 meetings ending all square, the last meeting between us came at The Valley in March 2021, with Conor Washington's brace earning us a 2-1 victory, a repeat score line tonight would go down very nice..

Here we go...

Rarmani Edmonds-Green and Macaulay Gillesphey will make their full debuts tonight.

The pair come into the starting line-up in place of Lucas Ness and Terell Thomas, who move to the bench.

Edmonds-Green and Gillesphey are expected to join Lloyd Jones in a back three in front of Ashley Maynard-Brewer.

Tennai Watson and Tayo Edun are likely to operate as wing-backs either side of a midfield trio of Conor Coventry, captain George Dobson and Tyreeq Bakinson, with Freddie Ladapo partnering by Alfie May up front.

Ness and Thomas are joined on the bench by Harry Isted, Louie Watson, Lewis Fiorini Tyreece Campbell and Daniel Kanu.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Edmonds-Green, Jones, Gillesphey; T.Watson, Coventry, Dobson (c), Bakinson, Edun; May, Ladapo

Subs: Isted, Ness, Thomas, L.Watson, Fiorini, Campbell, Kanu

Comments

• Options
    Ness and TT out.

REG and Gillesphey in.
  • Options
    No excuses now
  • Options
    Tennai Watson still playing, AMB the flapper still in goal, 3 CDMs #AppletonOut
  • Options
    On paper that’s a  strong League 1 team. 
    We wait and see.
  • Options
    Right Apples, line up is good, now ffs get them playing as a unit and win the game, clean sheet would be good into the bargain...
  • Options
    Not seeing much creativity in that midfield three.
  • Options
    Leaburn and Aneke aside, that is pretty much full strength. And finally some meaningful changes to the defence. Hopefully it all works. Personally, at home in a must win match, I'd like to see a more attacking player in centre midfield - probably Watson (L) for one of Dobson or Bakinson, but I guess this midfield did show potential in the first half against Burton, at least. I'd also be giving Assimwe another go ahead of Watson (T), but that's just me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 23
    fenaddick said:
    If those changes don’t help solidify at the back we’re in serious trouble 
    Both Watson and Edun need to do more defensively and Jones needs to up his game otherwise it’ll be no clean sheet again tonight 😞.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Tennai Watson still playing, AMB the flapper still in goal, 3 CDMs #AppletonOut
    Bakinson is a box to box Midfielder, not a CDM
  • Options
    Thomas the best defender on Saturday left out. 

Two changes at the back, and little time to work on defensive organisation and shape...
  • Options
    Ness and TT out.

REG and Gillesphey in.
    TT harshly treated there IMO.
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Edit... Didnt realise Callum had already provided the opposition teamsheet
  • Options
    Bought the stream so hoping for a good performance and LOTS OF SHOTS. 
  • Options
    Is asimwe injured ? 
  • Options
    Not a fan of throwing 2 brand new defenders in but I guess it can’t get any worse.
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Maybe he is incognito...our new manager...
    Bloody hell FA, that was deleted quick...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    I love Dobbo but what is the point of him as an 8. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Steven81 said:
    Is asimwe injured ? 
    Played in U21s safternoon 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Steven81 said:
    Is asimwe injured ? 
    Played in U21s safternoon 
    Oh fair enough cheers 
  • Options
    No excuses. Clean sheet win would be nice but any result that gives us three points would be welcome. Anything less and Apples has to walk. COYA!
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Bought the stream so hoping for a good performance and LOTS OF SHOTS. 
    You're probably gonna need to do a lot of shots watching this match :)
  • Options

Bowie is their Starman 
  • Options
    So Scotty is back in the hot seat, nice of him to turn up...🙄
  • Options
    Minto back. Good omen COYR
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!